Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

’Needs cooking’ on the instructions for prepared meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of folk from CoWexford emigrated to Canada, especially Newfoundland back in the day.

Another one beloved by RTE is ‘quarter’ becoming ‘quawter….. I mean, if you are going to ignore the first ‘r’ why include the second ‘r’.

Also ‘plice’ for police…… Mary Wilson… hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭drury..

Trope and whoosh

Still don't know exactly what they mean

Seems to be mostly the combative type posters using similar words

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Whoosh is the sound deadlines make as they fly past me (to paraphrase Douglas Adams).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

“My bad”

Hope that idiotic response fades out of common usage soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'Thanking you' instead of Thanks or thank you..Where does the 'ing' come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This whole 'red flag' 'green flag' thing to describe a trait in someone which immediately is a full characterisation of the person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭thereiver

The traveler community the gay community

cupla focail eg I remember a few sentences of Irish like 90 per cent of the population I cannot speak Irish if my life depended on it everything bad is now cringe it's overused

You guys yo bro Irish people using American slang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

" In our professional impartial tradesperson opinion IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED - and of course you can buy it from us"

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Back in the day.

Welcome to my world.

"this piece" or "that piece"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Uptick

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Hold that thought

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I just started to read through this thread to see if anyone posted "I don't want nothing" when they mean they don't want anything/ want nothing and many other double negative variations when they mean the opposite of what they say, but I have seen this reference a few times now. Is it the misspelling of the word Angel that bothers people or those that mean to say that the deceased are with the Angels now?

I have also found people celebrating the deceased's birthdays very odd by posting the age the person would be had they not died. And also elderly people who want to celebrate their birthdays months earlier just in case they don't make it. It would be great if we could all celebrate being centenarians even if we don't make it. Wouldn't that be pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Epic....

Every sporting occasion is an "epic" tussle these days....completely overused to the point that it has no meaning anymore….

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Chimley

Telerrife

Calsberg

Fizzboro

Chapelizard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

gatekeeper/gatekeepers

I think we're done here

No pal, I haven't found out yet what this 'hitting your straps' shïte is about.

Close it up then lad…

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

"far-right"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

People who wish you a Happy "Burpday" on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is a radio avert at the moment where the guys says Arland for Ireland, so annoying and he is clearly Irish himself, but cant even say the word correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Affectations on ads, esp, and it's usually female voiceovers that do this, the drawn out pronunciation OAAAAR for the word "or".

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PP Lee

People who refer to horse racing as “de gee gees” It puts my teeth on edge!!

Advertisement