Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2024 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think the last fella proved that , the donald trump of the gaa , i was surprised he didn't change the name of the cup to the larry mccarthy after the great job he taught he did , if there ever was a spoofer

its really only at county board level that the hierarchy can lets just say influence others to make whatever decision they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Another final loss for Kilkenny. The annual Galway implosion in the Leinster final will at least guarantee Kilkenny silverware for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tough going but usually beaten by the better team. On a few occasions the very obviously better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Their best player being nearer to 40 than 30 is an issue.

He's been worth a lot of points in every match and was missed last night. They don't have a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The biggest thing for Clare is they've created more runners that can break lines and time their runs to goal outside of Tony Kelly and Ryan Taylor (who are huge players/certain starters for Clare). O'Donnell came on for a half and had his first game of the year and tortured the Kilkenny fullback with movement. They're the kind of players who make Clare more dynamic going forward. But there's been more end product lately in terms of goals, it would seem. Which means Fitzgerald will stay further forward. Reidy has become a clever player - very good movement. But the league is the league. That said, it can only be good news for Clare, because teams will have to set up for more runners than the usual and Clare have more options than ever. While they've shown their hand, it's another thing coming up with the goods to stop them.

In other news, I hear Galway's Paul Bellew's politicking has been going into overdrive. Has a plan to get Galway into the Munster hurling championship that he's been flashing around the corridors of power. I did raise my eyebrows when I saw Galway in with the Munster teams in the under 19 development league. A clever buck when it comes to raising money and meeting the right people…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway into Munster would be the final nail in the provincial coffin. If that happens, every relevant team outside of KK and Wexford will be in one side of a knockout competition. It would devalue the All Ireland significantly. It would then be far more difficult to win Munster than win the AI. I couldn't see the provincial lasting another 5yrs if that happened.

it’s one thing being a clever buck with a plan. It’s another thing getting what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Provincial championships are a thing of the past. Time to move on from them. Two groups of 5 seeded basis, Round Robin, top two to Semis…. much better format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Munster do not need another county added to the mix seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Ironically this sounds very close to the same format that's there already by default: 2 groups of 5 with round robin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Munster teams play the 'least' amount of Championship games out of all the Senior Hurling Championships.

2 teams will only play 4 games

Joe McDonagh teams play at least 5 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

I agree but we don't need the long slow death of a totally lopsided competition. Time ttey admitted the jig is up and move on to a properly structured competition.

I would have agreed with this in the past. I would advocated for championship league with a final. But now I'm against it. Munster championship is a run away success. Provincial championships can work. There's no guarantees that an alternative championship will draw and profit like the munster championship. It's up to the provinces concerned to make it work. Leinster is in a precarious position. Galway killed the Connacht championship that never was with their standards. Schools with a 1000 pupils - inter county minors and under 21 players galore on teams. Nobody outside of a few schools within Galway ever had a chance of success. No clubs outside of Galway ever had a chance of success. No counties outside of Galway had a chance of success. Leinster going the same way. Combined schools is a joke - losing identities and teams all over the shop. Munster need to watch it too. Ar scoil Ris = a 1000 pupils, a set up with setanta that a lot of inter county sides don't have, money out the wazoo, pulling from clare and limerick minors and under 20s (eventually all these advantages will take a vice-like grip). Elitist set ups backed by money and tradition is becoming a cancer on the game. Ballygunner in Waterford - a better set up than the county side, laying waste to all clubs in the county. Club players happier with the club than the county. Same with Clonmel Commercials in Tipp football. These impossible standards eventually kill off weaker schools, weaker clubs, weaker counties in provinces, because there's no possibility of competing never mind winning. How do you convince kids to take part when they know the game is rigged, when there's no chance of competing? They're not stupid. They'll play other sports where they can be competitive.

Handicaps have to be introduced. Every school must have a team for every 250 pupils. No more than two county minors and two under 20 county men to a school team. Level the playing field, spread the talent out. Something has to be done because it can't keep going the way it's going. Well, it can keep going the way it's going but its going for disaster.

Player of the league? David Fitzgerald.

Young player of the league? Adam Hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Theres a lot of the frustration with the format from a Waterford point of view but that's because of a few in house reasons which is slowly beginning to come to light

The Leinster Championship is unbalanced even with the one minnow win over a big gun (Westmeath over Wexford last year). Hard seeing Carlow do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Greengrass53

Exactly. And to think Congress voted for that individual in preference to burns shows the conservatism endemic in the GAA. He was a laughing stock. Burns is outstanding imo and time will bear this out unless the dinosaurs circle the wagons again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Eibhir

I was trying to think of the occasion McCarthy shushed the crowd at a trophy presentation.. I can't remember the context again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

You could always change the Leinster Championship, add more danger to it. It's too predictable as it is, especially with dublin and Wexford seemingly on the slide.

First off, get rid of the Joe McDonagh teams entering into the AI series, I think we can all agree that that's been a bust.

Secondly, expand the Leinster Championship to 8 teams.

The format in Leinster would be two groups of 4. Top of each group goes to the Leinster SF's in Croke Park on same day, 2nd plays 3rd of each group in Leinster QF's, bottom of each group plays relegation playoff. Losers of Leinster QF's are out for the year. Losers of Leinster SF's play each other in knockout AIQF playoff as curtain raiser to Leinster Final. And it would take no more than 6 rounds to complete, which is exactly what we have now with the round robin, only in the smaller round robin potentially has more danger in it if you fail to top the group, so one bad result could have you in jeopardy of knockout in a Leinster QF.

All teams are guaranteed at least four games no matter what, with at least one guaranteed knockout game regardless. Number of winner takes all games in the province goes from 1 (the Leinster final) to 7 (The 2 QF's, the 2 SF's, the relegation and AIQF playoffs, and the Leinster Final), with 4 of those 7 games fully knockout.

Munster round robin stays the same as the danger in that championship is obvious.

So the AI series starts with the AIQF's with the 3rd team in Munster playing the Leinster runner-up, and the winner of the Leinster playoff playing the Munster runner-up.

Go with what fits. What fits for Munster is the round robin, Leinster needs something else, and I think the above would work better for the province than the round robin currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭letsseehere14

This is actually a really good suggestion. Taking last years teams plus Joe Mc finalists would it have looked something like this:

Munster:

Limerick - Champs

Clare - RU

Tipp - 3rd

Cork - out

Waterford - out

Leinster

Group A

Kilkenny

Wexford

Antrim

Offaly

Group B

Galway

Dublin

Westmeath

Carlow

Leinster QF

Wexford v Westmeath

Antrim v Dublin

Leinster SF

Kilkenny v Dublin

Galway v Wexford

Leinster Final

Kilkenny v Galway

AIQF Playoff

Dublin v Wexford

Relegation Playoff

Offaly v Carlow

AIQF

Galway v Tipperary

Clare v Dublin

AISF

Limerick v Galway

Kilkenny v Clare

AIF

Limerick v Kilkenny

So we would have ended up with the same provincial finals and same AI series from QF on except this time the initial Leinster groups would have more danger as only 3 games, one slip up could be costly (See Wexford v Westmeath last year). Plus Kilkenny and Galway would have had to play a 'knockout' Leinster SF plus there's an actual knockout AIQF playoff. It does increase the danger. Number of games doesn't change much, unless you go the long AIQF playoff route to the AI which would take 9 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hurlaway

Not a bad idea at all but one question why should leinster accept such radical changes while teams in Munster are in no jeopardy no matter how bad they are eg. Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Montys return

There should be a playoff, but just to say the last time that was touted Waterford made the All Ireland final the following year.

Open draw is the only reform that makes sense. Even seeing the same teams playing each other year in year out is becoming quite stale aside from the lob sided aspect to the provinces.

What jeopardy in Leinster? Two groups of four guarantees Kilkenny and Galway against any possibility of not qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

There are more teams in Leinster than galway and your beloved kilkenny. The jeopardy in Leinster is that a team ends up being relegated to the joe mcdonagh championship.

As things stand in munster a team could go 10 years without a championship win and still not be relegated

• Advertisement

How GAA star in Garda probe received €30,000 from GPA

The GPA's benevolent fund is used to 'support to members of the company who experience setbacks, both personal and professional'

TUE, 09 APR, 2024 - 15:39JOHN FOGARTY

The Gaelic Players Association (GPA) gave €30,000 in 2022 to a former inter-county player who has since come under investigation by An Garda Síochána.

The individual received the monies from the official inter-county players body in two tranches amounting to the five-figure sum, the Irish Examiner understands. The GPA chose not to comment when contacted. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus he really sucked money out of every avenue possible. My god

IT well knows this but cannot but its sad obsession with kk aside

You hit the nail on the head. The so-called jeopardy is deciding whether Carlow, Offaly, or Westmeath will be the worst team in Leinster. It's not jeopardy that has any significance for the broader competition.

Trying to draw parallels with a province that has had four teams play in an All Ireland final in the past five years (all have beaten Kilkenny along the way too), while the other county just won the National League is trying to bring Munster down a peg rather than any honest attempt to create a cliff hanging scenario in hurling.

Gaps between teams (in a sport where scores are cheap) are just too big to be trying to provide false incentives as if Carlow or Laois are going to become miles better just because they are threatened with the Joe McDonagh cup.

Going back to the actual point I made, there is some vague possibility at the moment that one of the stronger Leinster counties might slip up (e.g. Galway 2019) since they're playing each other. Put them into two groups removes that completely.

Kilkenny have been unable to beat Galway in the round robin ever, and have a very scattered record against Wexford too in that same time frame. None of this has impacted remotely on their progress because of the points that can be accumulated against weaker teams. No need to exaggerate that advantage even further. And certainly no need to try to pretend that the last team in Leinster is not miles behind the fifth team in Munster.

But your point about where jeopardy actually lies in Leinster is very well made.

The usual suspects who can't think analytically or objectivity will be in now to accuse you of an obsession with Kilkenny. When they themselves have some sad inability to not let anyone have opinion on Kilkenny without rushing in. It'll be personal abuse (like the above use of IT) without a single counter point of any strength or point to it. Of course, they will be unable to really understand your points but they'll have some vague belief that something bad has been said about Kilkenny. What did Elvis say about rushing in?

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

While it's true the two groups system could potentially see one with Kilkenny and one with Galway, but it could also see them in the same one. Which would mean that one or the other would have to play a direct knockout Leinster QF.

That's the point. A knockout system has more potential to see them toppled than the current, very predictable system.

Your right about Munster. The teams are very strong, and that's why the round robin as it is works in Munster, there's pretty much jeopardy in every game, every result feels like a big one, and usually is. The round robin works for Munster because the potential is there for every loss to be a knockout blow..

The same strength in numbers in terms of quality just isn't there in a Leinster round robin. But having two smaller groups with an open draw, along with adding in lose and your out games in the province, puts teams in direct danger of being knocked out, including Kilkenny and Galway.

Would it improve things? Very possible I'd say, probably because the Leinster Championship is becoming a bit of a predictable bore, and adding in the danger of playing for your seasons survival in the QF's and SF's would be a much bigger draw than the same stale run we've had for years. And you can't beat knockout hurling.

At the very least, it would mean less meaningful matches in Leinster, which I think we can all agree on is a must.

'Of course, they will be unable to really understand your points but they'll have some vague belief that something bad has been said about Kilkenny'

What an insulting post. Kilkenny posters are unable to understand how pool groups work? It's not exactly high end actuarial science. If you said that about a nationality it would be deemed racist.

😭😭 Didn’t say Kilkenny posters. Said usual suspects.

That's just disingenuous. Everyone knows who you're talking about. It's not such a clever post. My last reply to you.

'The usual suspects who can't think analytically or objectivity will be in now to accuse you of an obsession with Kilkenny.'

We have all seen how objective you are in your kk football thread and the other poster was so objective it got them a Permanent ban

just threw up what’s common knowledge. Twenty seconds into this- https://x.com/offtheball/status/1777807448054931823?s=46
    ps. This is not me. And he’s not from the same county. I suppose it’ll be the Munster conspiracy next.

It's common knowledge that many football counties ignore hurling buts that's not a problem to you only kk and football very objective

😂😂😂 The thread was called Kilkenny and football.

Waterford footballer says everyone should play football. I don't know what that has to do with this year's National hurling league?

• Advertisement

He said everyone should play football. He said nobody should be like Kilkenny which is relevant to the previous questions you were posting. He said they're our national games and you can't play them to this level anywhere else and we should do everything we can to play and protect them. No problem, chief.

You're just repeating the clip. What questions I was posting? I never mentioned football.

God knows. Nothing interesting anyway. Good luck.

All your posts are little digs. Ignore button very useful. Bye bye 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭terryrogers

Same story every year, people try to 'fix' Leinster and rave about Munster until the last week of the round robin where usually there are dead rubber matches in Munster and 2 so called Munster powerhouses seasons are over, and then people want scrap the provincials - rinse, cycle, repeat.

You say Munster has more danger? Tipp won 1 game out of 4 in last year's round robin but still went through. Limerick won 2 games out of 4 and went on to secure a Munster 5 in a row. Contrast that with Wexford who also won 2 games, but were an injury time disallowed goal away from being relegated to the Joe McDonagh. A wonderful 9 goal game that was I might add.

As bad as Leinster is touted to be, the round robin has gone down to the wire on a few occasions with the top 4 teams all being in danger of being knocked out in the final game. Last year's Leinster hurling final turned on the last puck of the game in extra time and was one of the most dramatic and entertaining finals in recent history.

Maybe you's are trying to 'fix' the wrong province?

Wexford haven't beaten Westmeath in 2 years, and Tipp didn't lose a match until they were effectively guaranteed progression. Those statements need context.

But any Munster vs Leinster debates disguise from the real issue which is the All Ireland should involve all teams in the top tier and be separate from the Provincials.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭terryrogers

Tipp were far from guaranteed progression, as if Cork had drawn with Limerick weren't Tipp knocked out? Context you say... you could also state that Westmeath have beaten Wexford just once in years, if ever (not sure)?

Your second point aligns with my overall point really... Why are people in this thread pontificating about what needs to change about the Leinster championship when the real barrier to progress is the provincial system, sacred Munster championship, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Tipp definitely weren't guaranteed progression as I vividly remember Sheedy on RTE with a panicked look on his face at half time in the Gaelic Grounds hearing of the events in Thurles, as a Wexford supporter myself all I'll say is a record of 2 wins a draw and a loss vs Kilkenny and Galway compared to a draw and 3 losses vs Westmeath and Dublin shows how inconsistent we were the last 2 years and we're all hoping Keith Rossiter will help to fix that.

After a record-breaking attendance total of close to 300,000 last season, ticket revenue will be greater than the 2022 figure of €4,736,267… If the product wasn't good people wouldn't spend their money and show up.

Look at the headlines: Tipperary and Limerick play out pulsating draw - Cork and Tipperary finish all-square after Munster epic - Clare stand tall in Munster thriller against Limerick -

John Kiely on the highlight of his career: 'John Kiely has hailed Limerick's Munster senior hurling championship success last year as “the highlight of my time involved with the team”.'

Pre-covid figures report: 'The increase is driven by Munster, which has drawn some extraordinary attendances, such as Sunday’s 39,115 for the meeting of Tipperary and Limerick despite a sense that the match wouldn’t matter in the greater scheme of things and the counties will meet again in the provincial final in a fortnight.

The overall figure to date is 329,542 as opposed to 310,051 12 months ago. It includes a 14,000 drop in Leinster from 106,387 to 92,386, offset by an increase of more than 30,000 in Munster.'

Looking at the Leinster hurling finals… A loss of 22,337 attendance in 20 seasons…

You'd be changing the most successful championship to save the second one. Makes no sense. Leinster has to solve Leinster.

Leinster have got to press the panic button because it's in freefall. A major wake up call is needed, from the schools game up. They've got to find ways to make the game competitive and draw people from Dublin, Wexford, Offaly, and elsewhere, otherwise the figures for finals and going to games will keep dwindling. The culture of going to games at all levels is dying around the province. It starts with the clubs and schools.

Pre- Covid figures:
    Munster Hurling round robin attendances 2019
    Total
    2019: 329,542
    2018: 310,051

Munster SHC
    Total: 237,156
    Average: 23,716

Final; Limerick v Tipperary, LIT Gaelic Grounds, 30th June

Leinster SHC
    Total: 92,386
    Average: 9,239

Final; Kilkenny v Wexford, Croke Park, 30th June

Hurling round robin attendances 2018
    Munster SHC

Total: 203,664
    Average: 20.366

Final: Cork v Clare, Thurles – 45,363

Leinster SHC
    Total: 106,387
    Average: 10,639

• Advertisement

OK I may have worded it a bit strongly, they were very, very likely to progress. They just needed to lose by less than 6 to Waterford or the other game to not be a draw but as you say that nearly happened. Dead rubbers, eh?

What you say about Westmeath is exactly my problem with your earlier statements. The context is the last two years Wexford have lost and drawn with Westmeath in the Championship which is really poor. It's a sign of the weakness of the championship vs Munster in my opinion.

I will say though, what you said about Tipp was what many said about Wexford in 2019. That they only won one game against Carlow in the round Robin. The reality was that none of Galway, Dublin or Kilkenny could beat them and they were well worth winning Leinster in the end.

In the old format, I would have been slower to get rid of the Provincials. But the round Robin provinces make no sense to me.

Advertisement