Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lol, because they've a terrible interior, f all luxury and just a big screen in the middle. Sometimes you have to wonder how duplicitous people are. Tesla are creating the everybody cars cheap to construct low cost but they're also the same as top of the range BMWs and Mercedes. .. I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

Tesla in particular have fooled an awful lot of people in to thinking they are getting a premium, luxury product, when the opposite is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

100%. I've viewed cars posted here before and reported on my findings to either save someone the trouble of travelling if the problems are deal breakers, or to give the heads-up where a bargain can be got.

I was on my way to view the car for a second time when I wrote back earlier. I wanted to check the charge ports were working and check the battery health, which is at 88%. I haggled down to €9,400 for it. Not too bad from an asking of 12k only 2 weeks ago.

2 rear tyres are good, Hankooks. I was sure it had all Dunlops when I viewed a couple of weeks ago, which were all perished. I must have been mistaken. I only need to replace the front tyres now. Oponeo for another order. I'll be having the paint corrected next week while I await the logbook to let me tax it (nearly 2 years with no tax!!!). I took the logbook to make that process faster. I'll need to get a second key and a public charge cable too, as well as have some puncture tyre goop just incase, as it's missing from the boot. Will get brake fluid flushed too and I'm going to swap the dashcam from my 24 Leaf to this one because I won't see a cent extra in the sale keeping it installed.

Her new home.

Stay Free

I also had DoneDeal remove another Leaf this week. Car was an ex-taxi, had no tax and the seller had a throw-away 089 number. I rang and asked about the car and he mentioned a Toyota Verso, so a shady dealer who was supposedly selling for his friend. Oh…and there was outstanding finance…none of which was mentioned in the advert, or admitted when asked. I sent the report to DD and the ad was removed with their thanks.

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Cheapest ID.4 1st Edition in the Country ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36581882

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

Thars a great looking car, but the interior looks like it's been coloured in in playschool

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Still there from the 24th of March-

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do people rack up so much mileage in a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

They drive a lot 😅

A commute to work that was 100km away (200km return), which wouldn't be unheard of, would be 1000km a week or 50k a year

Well they have saved a fortune that's roughly 16-17 grand on diesel given a similar speed tiguan doing similar journeys assuming motorway speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭munsterfan2

My young lad is doing a 1000 a week in the 19 Kona we bought in October. He was spending 120 a week on petrol in the old car, a 2005 2l avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My biggest complaint about having an EV, we don't do enough mileage to really push up those savings! 150k would probably be 10 years driving for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

personally I think EV’s suit high mileage drivers far more than lower.

high mileage commuting is really an opportunity-cost situation: that high depreciation allows you keep that great job 100km away, and your family live in a nice house in the countryside on a plot on the family farm, and that’s just life.

It’s far more common that you’d think - e.g in Kilkenny city, there are literally hundreds of people who work in Dublin City/south county Dublin every day - motorway door to door, it used to be the train was the only option.

My sister has a 2.5yo M3LR with over 100,000 on it, long commuting. She’ll be murdered on depreciation when it comes to selling it, but if it wasn’t for that commute she wouldn’t have the fantastic job she has, closer to home.

KKeeping It 10 years and it would be around 60+ grand on fuel on today fuel averages .. which aren't guaranteed.

I think depreciation becomes mute at those figures as a similar ice would suffer depreciation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭munsterfan2

Bought 2nd hand for 20k. All charging at home at energia rate, maybe 20eur a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Is the range on E golf executive really 300Km as per this ad? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/e-golf-executive-very-low-milage-price-drop/36549054

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No. But you can't do anything with that, it is auto filled in by DoneDeal and it is based on the old official measurement for range, the NEDC, which is extremely optimistic and a poor reflection of real range

FYI, this just passed NCT today with 2 years til April 2026. I missed the NCT appointment yesterday, but they were kind enough to let me do it this morning once I accepted the penalty.

I'll be letting it go for 5k and not a cent less. That's a boardsie straight up price.

Otherwise it's to be kept for our kids, one has a full license now and the other is starting lessons in a few weeks having just got their learner permit.

Stay Free

Lot of car for the money. It is beyond me that a lot of very well priced cars (not just EVs) are simply not selling unless people put on a firesale price. I've about 20 bargains in my saved list and nothing is selling

That Fluence Z.E. has further dropped to €2k asking now, you'd probably get it for €1.5k, it's mad

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluence-2012-fully-electric-/36017142

• Advertisement

Yeah that Fluence is crazy low now. I was a bit surprised my own car didn't sell within a day at 6k asking, 5.5k ready to deal. It's a genuinely great condition car and with a colour that helps to hide the face only a mother could love of the Leaf 24 🤣. I've seen a few of the examples currently advertised and my own car is in far superior shape, but it's not easy to get that across in an advert when everyone claims their car is immaculate despite most panels being riddled with deep scratches and dents.

My thinking is I would like to sell now and put money toward more home solar/batteries and then later in the year, or early next year, pick up another EV…most likely a Leaf 24 or 40 for the kids to use, keeping a car available for the OH when I am at work.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

People need to start thinking about pre COVID prices again to calibrate what a bargain is. If they aren't selling, they aren't bargains - I really think it is as simple as that. The market is deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The car market as a whole seems to be completely stagnant. A few lads I know in the trade say nothing is shifting. I think these mortgage increases are really starting to impact on people's finances. Electricity bills while having eased a bit are still very high.

It really isn't that simple. That's childrens level economics. There have been a lot of fire-sale bargains advertised recently which have been taken down, or are still up for sale. On a basic levell, there is uncertainty in the market right now, especially around EVs, so sales on every level are going to be slower. This is exacerbated by the occasional car being advertised and sold for 5k when the next example same year, mileage and condition is nearly twice the price. All of a sudden buyers start holding their wallets in their pockets waiting for another give-away deal.

The battery in my 24 Leaf is worth close to the price I am willing to let the whole car go for. I could break it (which would be madness) and sell a couple of expensive components in quick succession to get my bottom dollar and then scrap the rest. I say fcuk the market. It's a bargain and I know it is. I'm far from greedy, but I won't be giving the car away either.

Stay Free

This exactly. If people don't have money to spend, they can't afford a bargain either.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dr.dundrum

bargain is a bargain. If you price the car correctly, it will go no matter the other conditions.

New Ev prices are going nowhere but the depreciation expectation is going up. This is why 2nd hand car prices must go down. im not in ICE market so do not know that category.

2020 ID3s should go down to 15-16. 2018 Nissan leaf should go down 10-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

🤣 Well my child level economics are borne out by the market so I'll continue with them. Even the lack of actual bargains in this thread is telling us the same thing.

And not just the car market. All markets that I have dealings with. Electronics, watches, renewables, etc. All very difficult to sell stuff in. Haven't seen it this bad since 2008 myself.

People just don't seem to have any cash to spend on anything but essentials. And people that do, wait until they can pick up something in a firesale. And rightly so. It's a buyer's market as much as I have ever seen one. I'm getting plenty of offers on my own Leaf, but none close to my asking price (€3695). I guess mostly from traders sniffing out bargains, planning to keep it for a while and flipping it when the market is a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's a great time to buy an used EV bargain for sure especially if you're a cash buyer and are good in haggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Advertisement