Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

in fairness that type of behaviour has been going on for years.

I remember work colleagues who were Munster supporters, but were supporting Leicester in the 09 final. The level of begrudgery is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Get Andy Farrell into the dressing room on Thursday to tell the lads the match will be a piece of piss.

We'll win by 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Snyman out for Munster! Whatever ails him, I hope he's over it next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ruginator

Why? Do Liverpool fans cheers for Man United in the champions league? Rival fans won't support their rival teams. The weird part is Leinster fans feeling offended that Munster fans won't row in behind Leinster. Self entitled nonsense that exists in no other sport that everyone will row in behind their rivals for the sake of Ireland. As a munster fan I hope Leinster get stuffed next week and booted out of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Fair enough. Everybody is entitled to cheer who they want. And that will include me cheering for our biggest rivals today against Northampton.

A significant reason being that the more irish teams that go deeper in tournament, the more money that is going around the irfu to keep the game going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm loathe to join this conversation but…

There are fans across all provinces that will support anyone but the Irish province, there are also fans across all provinces that will always support an Irish province.

Much noise being made about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I've found myself blocked on twitter by some lads who are trying to do a podcast (which seems a strange way of alienating listeners) for expressing the same thing. You don't have to like a province just because they are Irish. It's supposed to be a rivalry!

I'm occasionally surprised though that even Leinster for a Munster fan isn't the lesser of two evils (against Saracens or a Toulon maybe) but it is what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't see any logic in starting Connors. If anything, you want him coming off the bench and let him tackle his little heart out for the last 25 minutes. LAR are generally slow starters but build into a game. You want someone like Connors coming on to help deal with the inevitable onslaught.

The other side of that is that Conan's carrying is likely to be less effective if he comes on in the second half. I'd have Conan starting and utilise his carrying strength as much as possible in the first half. Try to do maximum damage early on, then be prepared to batten down the hatches with Connors for the final third.

By the same logic, I'd start with Harry and bring him Ross (assuming he's fit) to close out the game. LAR are happy to let you build a lead early and they back themselves to wear you down. They really come at you in the second half and you have to be ready to withstand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

He doesn't need to go to Cork for the week, the same number of Munster/La Rochelle fans will be at the game even if he didn't go down.

It's all part of ROG and his mind games stuff, like the nonsense last year about Dublin not been home etc. If it works he is a genius, if it doesn't then people will quickly forget and move on.

ROG is pushing La Rochelle as the poor little French club, fighting against all the big boys with their big budgets.

In fact La Rochelle are more akin to Toulon than any other club, they are in a small town, the squad is just a list of talent from all over the World, they don't have an exceptional academy(like Toulouse etc) and the entire population of La Rochelle would fit into twickers. The main difference is they don't have a big mouth owner blowing about how much money they spent.

Will they be a sustainable club long term? ROG probably doesn't care because if it starts to turn then he can jump ship and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Leinster live rent free in the heads of many Munster fans. I don't give a sh1t if they shout for another team vs Leinster but turning up at matches 100s of Kms from home in Toulouse & LAR jerseys is taking it to pathological levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Plenty of interesting questions for next week:

What is our second row pairing?

Has Conan played his way into the starting side?

Is there reason to potentially go with a 6-2?

Does Ross start at 10 again or Harry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

he said it alright.
    Revenge is the greatest motivator in sports.

but I would say Leinster think they can win.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did we win every scrum with Healy and then immediately lose one when Porter came back on?

must be Jenkins

I’d say Conan will bench. Fine by me as Leinster are going to need him off the bench.

must be Harry.

Q for Leo is should Connors come into the bench in a 6-2?

I’m not a fan of 6-2 but for this game I'd strongly consider rolling the dice and bring Connors (if fit) onto the bench and go with Frawley.

v LaR in December
    Leinster: Hugo Keenan; Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose (co-capt), Robbie Henshaw, Jimmy O'Brien; Harry Byrne, Jamison Gibson-Park; Andrew Porter, Dan Sheehan, Michael Ala'alatoa; Joe McCarthy, James Ryan (co-capt); Ryan Baird, Will Connors, Caelan Doris

Replacements: Rónan Kelleher, Cian Healy, Thomas Clarkson, Jason Jenkins, Josh van der Flier, Ben Murphy, Ciarán Frawley, Charlie Ngatai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Watched both matches yesterday. Thought La Rochelle were blessed to win that game. But win they did and it's the sign of a great team. Their season started yesterday.

Think we are going to have a real job on our hands with no Ryan available. Bench has been a real weapon for us but I do wonder if we push Baird to lock and bring Conan into the backrow. He's in serious form.

Would also prefer Harry at 10 over Ross who just looks a little inaccurate since coming back from the injury.

We will need our lineout to be spot on next week. If we get that going and it's a dry track, I think we might sneak it. Very hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think we need to be getting our best scrum and maul options out there. That’s going to be McCarthy+1. This time last year Jenkins would have been seen as being built for this type of game and he was very good in the URC before his injury last year. His performance in the final did no favours for him and he got minimal time over in LAR this season. Not convinced he’ll be trusted. Not sure Baird is the answer in the row either. Needs to be left at 6. Think we might see Molony again.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Should be either Jenkins or Baird to second row and Conan at 6 but worry is without Ryan, there are no line out callers bar Molony i don’t think, so I’ve no idea what is the way to go in the second row.

Has to be 6-2 with Connors either starting or on the bench. Mike, Healy, Kelleher, Molony/Jenkins, Connors/VDF Conan if not starting/Deegan if he is, McGrath, Frawley.

Harry is in better form so would go with him. R Byrne was a speed bump yesterday. Danty and Allritt will have a field day running at him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We play on Saturday at 5 30, great slot.

Baird should continue at blindside. His best performances over the last year have come in the backrow. He gets his hands on the ball more can soften a defensive line with his carrying.

We've a big question over our lineout. In Ryan's absence Molony leads that set piece. But it's been struggling for a while now. He's not a hyper physical lock so do we start Jenkins in place of him to help counter La Rochelle's power?

One thing I want to see next weekend is a far better use of our bench. In both finals against La Rochelle our substitutes made a negligible difference. Bring them on early-ish in the second half and let them make an impact.

Apart from James Ryan it looks like we've a clean bill of health up front. No reason to not go hell for leather on this.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Advertisement

I kind of stopped looking after a while! So messy.

Free kick against Leicester for early engagement then in next scrum free kick against Leinster for stepping back!

Next scrum took a full minute to set up and was reset. Then clock was stopped as he talked to both hookers and free kick against Leinster after Cole was on his knees. Steady scrum at last.

A set of 3 scrums took just over 3mins of actual time.

Even when Kelleher, Healy and Ala were on early second half it descended into more resets. And I stopped paying attention once Montoya and Cole (savvy scrummagers) started yapping.

And credit to James Cronin. He should be back in Ireland (thanks again JvG) considering the state of LH depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think I’d make scrum and maul defence the priority. LAR tend to make a lot of ground that way. Win a scrum/poach penalty at half way, stick it in the corner. Maul it up and if that doesn’t work; use the big carriers to batter the line. Don’t think LAR are that impressive at challenging for opposition line out ball and don’t think Molony will guarantee us a smooth lineout either.

It's hard to say what we should do re the lineout and maul.

Last season we didn't jump on La Rochelle's throw because we wanted to set up a strong maul defence. But they pulverised that anyway and made metres for fun. We'll need to challenge in the air, I think. But also need some bulk to stop the ball. I'm not sure we can do both without James Ryan.

Presale tickets are available for season ticket holders now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

I'm in now, 250 ahead of me and no promo tickets 2 for €100 showing up?

Got three of the 20% off tickets there.

They weren't available for me initially but I refreshed and then they showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Munster out just in time for their fans to get on the La Rochelle bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leave them, who cares? I don't pretend to support Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

got family ticket good price worked out at 58 for 2+2 near front of upper south.

Advertisement