Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

people will have a go at me for saying it but I think players like Nunez and Diaz are passengers we are carrying at the business end of the season in games like this.

You just can’t trust them to get goals when really needed. They’ll do it the odd time but even an easy chance on a plate is a roll of the dice.

yea Salah was muck but his goalscoring record is beyond questioning.

We need Jota asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

When is Jota due back?

We created enough chances to win today but we're not clinical enough in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Perfect hindsight but god I wish we'd started Gakpo, Elliott and Konate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Too right, always baffles me that you cannot play on 25 December either for some reason. Can't even play on the 24th due to the 25th December, should not be indulged in professional sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,538 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We thrashed them twice in stats, it is what it is, an unique fixture. A good point, take it move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I don't think he's far away, maybe another 2 weeks.

Elliott has been great off the bench all season. Nearly always makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Biggest issue now is our game management which is appalling. Cruising at H/T but you knew that we'd give them a chance and they'd probably take it. But how we played after they scored was remarkable really - just random busrts of play, nothing cohesive. And I have no idea how we've become so painfully bad at counter-attacking. Used to be a jewel in the crown. A difficult watch. All not lost but we've thrown away the initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

To be fair, playing Christmas day means your asking thousand of fans to travel when all transport is shut down, asking hundreds of stewards and other stadia staff, as well as police etc to work on Christmas day. Will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

For all the chances we miss and I am not denying that but at the end of the day,defences win titles and ours is not good enough. Feel for Quansah today but he shouldn't of been in that position in the first place. It was madness playing Konate thurs night,and if he was fit enough to be on the bench then why couldn't he start? Is he unable to play through a bit of pain?.

I don't think we have been able to play our strongest team since Newcastle at home in the first game of the new year. It was eventually going to catch us and it did today. Them are the breaks.

Very hard to win a title when Trent,Jota,Konate,Salah and Allison miss nearly half the season

I have a feeling Diaz may be the first striker jetizoned by the new manager next season. When he's running towards goal seems to ALWAYS take the wrong option. Even if he sometimes took the right option it would be ok, but it always seem to lead nowhere. Kinda reminds me of Mane in his last season (while on the wing before he moved centrally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I thought today would be the day when the idea of winning the league would start to slip. We won't know until the end of the season what it means, but I've gone from thinking there's a very slight chance, to adjusting to the UEFA Cup as the only realistic hope of another trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not in our hands at all, we have to overturn a sizeable GD. Today was costly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Well, it is if we managed (unlikely) to overhaul Arsenal's goal difference

No, since it's just as much in Arsenal's hands to not let that happen.

Well, it is, kinda. Just means we have to start racking up 3 or 4 goal wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nunez, yes. His lack of composure absolutely kills us in that sort of game.

Diaz is brilliant enough at everything else, that he's less of a concern.

The biggest problem today was probably wastefulness, but what we also saw is what we miss without Jota and Trent in particular. It's a string of games too far for some.

If Trent was in some of the space Bradley was in, good God, he'd have destroyed them with his quality. And if Jota had some of the chances we created, we'd have walked the game.

• Advertisement

People really struggling with what it means for something to be in your own hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It technicality still is as GD is in your hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If it's any slight silver lining we're 24 points better off than this point last season 🫣

I don't think losing out on the league would be nearly as painful this year if Klopp was staying around.

Still think Arsenal will drop points, city i'm fairly sure won't.

Well, in this case, both Arsenal and Liverpool have it in their own hands. Equally, neither has it in their own hands.

A conundrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Being 9 goals off a team who racking of easy wins and Cleansheets is not realistically in our hands with the amount of goals we are conceding.

What we doing is setting up an absolutely nightmare scenario of losing the league on GD

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's not in our hands as of now. Technically or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,538 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Arsenal take full pts away to Wolves, Spurs, United, Chelsea, then Klopp himself should present the Trophy to them. Arsenal have 4 defeats already. We only have 1, and the draw at Spurs we were awarded 0 pts for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Toby said Arsenal will not win all their remaining matches so with that caveat it is in our hands. There is still a lot to go for all the teams, starting midweek for the three challengers. Take it game by game and let us not forget, not many predicted a title challenge and a lot thought we would not even finish in the top 4 this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭McFly85

Seems a bit far fetched to talk about us outscoring Arsenal while we are so frustrating in front of goal. We’ll need them to drop points. Hopefully they can stay in the CL and add some massive energy sapping midweek games to their schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Quansah is a poor man's Kambwala

Curtis was pure muck when he came on, how many times did he lose the ball dilly dallying in midfield.

For sure. Hoping they knock out Bayern. They should do, on form, but seeing how much they struggled against Porto, it wouldn't surprise me if Kane knocks them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

The away match run that we have after the Palace game is going to be tough.

If they come through that winning all the points available I'd start to believe

But we really need the other two teams to have problems along the way

And in fairness to them, they don't do the nonsense we served up today

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The only consolation to that game was Kelleher missing that Bruno shot for the goal by a few inches and being red carded . Adrian in goal for next few games and I’d be worried about top 4 again.

? Quansah had a great game. One error which cost us. He helped set up the penalty by winning the ball, progressing it upfield and a lovely blind pass to (Macca?) before Elliott was played in.

Probably could do with a City V Arsenal CL semi final. Those games would really take it out of them. Not sure both are going to go through though.

If we want to win the league we need these 2 to progress to the semi's. I know it means one of them in the final but who gives a shite, that comp lost its aura when they failed to ban City a few seasons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭boosabum

Need to ensure this does not happen at goodison either. Seems to be some issue with klopp playing the occasion not the quality of the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Chelsea usually have a say in the run in in some way so you'd never know what might still happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Feel like we lost the title today with that result. They were there for the taking.

We have to be perfect now for the rest of the season and pick up 3 points from every game. Which won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

That's that then,I said at half time we'd get caught out with a suckered punch and we did

Our forward line simply isn't good enough,they need 30 chances to score a goal.

Don't get me started on nunez,he absolutely does my head in,he's the worst finisher I think I've ever seen play for Liverpool

Even though United are not very good you could make a strong argument that that was our most difficult game left as both sides find it hard to win at each others ground. Even when one is much better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lets be fair, it wasn't normal wear and tear that had Konate out today,, but a horrible scissor tackle that could ha E caused serious knee ligament damage, and there was no action taken. Again late in today, another leg breaking tackle by Casemiro, and another easy yellow card. Players have to be protected from these dangerous tackles, but it's not happening.

Quansah made a bad mistake, buy it's one that he would normally get away with. Remember, he would have been behind Joel, Virgil, Joe, Ibra for centre back places, and wouldn't have been expected to be starting a game like today his progress has been phenomenal.

Tyr problems today were at the other end of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I am not blaming Quansah at all but as a unit over all we are conceding too many goals. We are guaranteed to concede in nearly every game and give up so many chances on top of that. If you want to win the league then scoring two away from home at Old Trafford should be good enough to win the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Ah I don't know. We had a ridiculous amount of chances and opportunities to win that game.

This is on the players.

Yep, the forwards need to take the brunt of the blame today. When there's such dominance, and your strikers don't put away their chances, it emboldens the opposition and again, we've lost points as a result. Quansah made a mistake but atoned for it with his interception and driving run for the penalty. The strikers made many more 'mistakes' by continually butchering opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

surely this is a breach of contract how the feck can you get a pre match meal in during Ramadan should be made eat

Record against the "big" teams just not good enough this season.

2 points from 6 against City. Battered them at Anfield but couldn't score a winner.

1 point from 6 against Arsenal. Should have had a pen at Anfield and then Allison and Virgil gift them a goal in London.

2 points from 6 against United. Dominated both games. Missed loads of chances. Gift them a goal at their place.

0 from 3 against Spurs. The phantom goal game. Enough said.

4 from 6 against Chelsea. Drew at their place first game of the season. Should have won.

3 from 6 against Villa. Still have to go to Villa Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

• Advertisement
Advertisement