Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He waved it wide, the umpire waved it wide, Derry players moan at him and he awards a penalty

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

That's a soft free to bring us level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

If dublin are to win Sam theyll need a rigid defence game plan like last year, far to open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Woeful penalties by Dublin. Derry deserved that, Dublin poor enough, far to open. Bugler, Kilkenny, Fenton off it today. At least it will calm the hyperbole around Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Deserved win for Derry the better team on the day .We were badly exposed defensively could have conceded a couple more goals .We will have to tighten up there in the summer .We got a fairly soft free to get to extra time then spurned two scoring chances and then Derry go up and get the score .Plenty for Dessie to ponder and there is always a health warning over league results so it should cool the jets a bit about being way out in front .We seemed to really struggle with the kickouts and lost midfield badly .I am not as disappointed about losing on penalties as if in regular play time even if we should have been .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Enjoyable game of football. Derry worked harder than us in the game. It manifested in their midfield dominance as the man working to get to the break was invariably a Derry man. Their greater willingness to make the option for their keeper was evident too. Not to dispirited though. The loss and the little bit of needle at the end might be good for Dublin. Light a spark under them.

A couple of things… I hate watching games refereed by Conor Lane and why on earth did Sean McMahon stick with his man and not go to the man bearing down on goal? Couldn't believe the decision he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair play to Derry. I think the last time I saw Dublin in a GAA penalty shootout was Dublin v Meath O’Byrne Cup SF a good few years ago.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭billyhead

In relation to the championship starting team will Cian Murphy start at full back. I presume he will or will Mick Fitz go straight back in? Will the likes of McGinnis and Lahiff start? McCarthy will probably replace Lahiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The younger lads are definitely making progress but when the chips are down in the summer I can't see Dublin fielding much of a changed side from last year tbh.

For me Cian Murphy has the best chance of breaking into the team. Not just because Davy Byrne is gone. I think he's the best of the younger players.

• Advertisement

Not for the first time easy wins in a league game doesn't do a team any favours so a few of the lads talked up will make way for last year's team As much as possible. Cian looks likely to play a big part but some of the others will get a smaller part .We should get through Leinster and nothing has really changed in that it looks like it's three against the field .

That was an enjoyable game all said and done. I'm still bemused as to how Conor Lane is still allowed ref games like this though. He somehow manufactured 2 red cards for us today when there wasn't a dirty stroke from us all game.

Glad Derry came away with the win. I know Harte isn't the most popular of managers but he's been through the ringer over the past few years and this was a big win for Derry football.

We'll be far better as the championship goes on so would not worry about meeting them again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

som spectacularly bad referring from Lane alright, he let them away with murder on Con without action then gives soft ones the other end. Was happy enough myself, funny to see the press about what it means to Derry, when we best them up there the story was all about how it wasn’t a full side. Not much mention of that today. I think Murphy, Lahiff and McGuinness actually did well enough and great experience for them, but we lacked a little tough nosed spine through the team at times and let Derry mess us around too much with a bit of cyclical stuff and then diving. Gannon, McCarthy and Costello would have been nice to have on the pitch, possibly Fitz too, but Derry are a good fast side so I’m not too sure on that. Good game all in all and Derry were the best team I’ve seen in a long time at getting off the short kick outs so if they get ahead you are really struggling. Goals are what it’s all about for them. Get goals, play out slowly.

Harte has not really changed the previous system much that Gallagher had, just made them better at it and even more aggressive. Derry seem to really play for him. It is odd to think that he just could not get Tyrone to move on from that overly cautious style. But with Derry it is like he has got a new lease of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The “overly cautious style” “move on” ?????

So 37 handpasses in a row is a not a good watch?

Glad you seem to agree.

Tyrone now counter with purpose and use their forwards way more than under Harte's tenure. It is why they won Sam. Sean Cavanagh was the first to say it.

I think Derry suits Harte more because Derry are set up to have the backs counter attacking with the couple of focal points up front.

Did you watch the league final anyway or did you not bother because you think the game of football is "dead"?

I must say, I was very disappointed with Whelan sitting on the RTE panel like a prize poodle having a go at our players for scuffle that broke out after we scored the goal at the end. At least 3 seperate players had a go at Paddy Small in that incident, yet he's the one that gets the line. It was like the Derry players knew who was on a yellow and went after him. He also didn't call out Lane for the ridiculous red that Fenton got for the push when he was clearly digged in the ribs 5 seconds before that happened.

Whelo never bats for us I think he is too concerned about being accused of Dublin bias so he seems to go out of his way to be the neutral voice .Other counties have pundits who do their bit of calling out incidents against their own counties .I gave up listening to the panels a few years ago bit hear Whelo hasn't changed a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Look we were second best,just about yesterday. Beaten on a penalty decider. Derry had most wins in the league most points and deserved winners of the league. Imagine if we had won the media hype around Dublin for the real prize in July. Looking at some media reports today 99% of the country thought Lane favoured Dublin. Ye just can't win. Only way to hit them is bringing Sam home again. Let there be no panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

yes I did and enjoyed a good open game, however, I would draw your attention to the old saying……

‘One swallow doesn’t make a Summer’

Both teams wanted to ‘play football’ and be positive.

No trundling up and down the field at walking pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But it was the Dublin player who instigated it. The guy that got the goal turned around, and purposely charged into the Derry lad. And that kicked it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

He pushed the Derry lad with his open left hand alright, but also pushed his chin with his closed right fist too. No idea how much of that Lane saw (he had a horrid game in general and was far more culpable for causing the melee than any of the Dublin lads - though Derry would be the far more upset of the two sides given a few of the shocking calls he gave against them) but the red card was spot on.

No harm for your lads. The last thing anyone wants is to come into a game with Fenton feeling he owes them one. I'll be sticking a fiver on Brian for MOTM if ye meet again later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Pure dive from the Derry player, pathetic stuff. GAA should start punishing divers.

From the other angle as show on League Sunday that was disproven. Tomas O'Se correctly pointed out that from the ref's angle it looked as if Fenton's fist came in contact with the Derry player. But Fenton did in fact not strike the Derryman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

A solicitor would have a field-day with interpretations in the rule book. As far as I can see from the rules, a red card offence is - "To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent with arm, elbow, hand or knee with minimal force".

It doesn't say that if has to be closed fist, and it only requires minimal force. The split second action by Brian Fenton would in my opinion fall into that definition. If one was arguing for it to be a red card, it is easy to argue that it is the hand that struck the Derry lads face, and it was minimal force. But if one were trying to argue against it being a red card, I'd be asking what exactly is a strike. Is a push a strike? How do you distinguish between a push and a strike. Both are making contact with the opponents body with a hand(s). Is a push legislated for in the rules? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I'm not sure which part of what was said you feel was 'disproven'?

"He pushed the Derry lad with his open left hand alright, but also pushed his chin with his closed right fist too."

Totally agree with both you and Tomás it was a push rather than a clear strike, but Tomás was mistaken when saying as a blanket statement originally that it wasn't a red card offence if not a clear strike (later corrected himself to 'wasn't a red card for me', which is subjective and a valid point of view - just not one I'd share). More than enough wiggle room in "5.15 To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent with arm, elbow, hand or knee with minimal force." or "5.17 To behave in any way which is dangerous to an opponent." for that to subjectively fall well within red card territory and not sure if I've met, spoken to or played under a ref that wouldn't give red seeing that fist-push to the face.

That was exactly what I was thinking was a "push" considered a "strike". Fenton looked disgusted when he was ordered off anyway, he couldn't believe it. Normally if a fella knows he deserved it he would not have reacted like that.

Sure, look, Lane is just an awful ref. He didn't see that incident at all, although how he missed the dig Fenton got in the ribs when he hand the ball in his hands is anyone's guess. But he was brutal for both teams as you say. The penalty was a complete embarrassment of a decision because he waves the ball wide, as do the umpires, before suddenly changing his mind completely. And the free he gave us at the end to level the game was never a free either. He's just an awful ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

16.30 next Sunday in Croker v Meath. I miss the 80s/90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Advertisement