Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Diaz blows way too many chances for my liking. A good player, but we should upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,538 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He should have said Sheffield United 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

My thinking too. He'll be the first shipped out. Always seems to take the wrong option when on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yep,

Not really the hallmark of champions with such a poor return against the top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One lad thrown into the deep end after a raft of injuries, the other lad, while doing well since stepping in, made the biggest mistake of the day

When Salah loses form, it shows us up, as Diaz and Nunez are not as clinical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

We're certainly a good thread for overreacting. Selling Diaz and Nunez, Quansah not good enough etc. A bit of perspective needed. We're joint top with 7 to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is there anything to be said for a good, old fashioned, Monday Meltdown???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Would love to see some data from all those suddenly blaming Ramadan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

it’s now a perfect storm the inability to get a clean sheet ( Aldridge said same on lfc tv after game ) and not putting away chances . Think we might need to shake up team going forward and tactics hung ho is fine but margin of error . To be honest can’t see both arsenal and city dropping any more points but for ch#%^ sake let’s not make it easy for them

I don't think looking at the viability of Diaz and Nunez is an over-reaction. Their numbers are good for a top 4 side but I'm not sure if they'll win us the title. With Salah off form, and Jota injured, we've been exposed in terms of a tonne of opportunities being missed and costing us points.

Quansah was good today. Atoned for his mistake by contributing towards the penalty award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Definitely,we are maybe 5% not good enough at both ends and that is costing us when in a title race with City and the way Arsenal are playing at the moment. It's a testament to the squad in one way that we are still in a title race with the amount of players we have missed over the last 3 months. Having a fully fit Trent,Jota and Jones into that team and we probably beat city and united today. Small margins.

FFS Arsenal were saying that one injury to Saliba last season cost them the title. Can you imagine if they had to deal with the injuries we had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

now third favourites to win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The fact is we've scammed a fair few results this season having to come back from deficits.

You simply can't keep doing it.

Now that might be partly down to the amount of injuries, or a product of trying to integrate a brand new midfield, but either way, you can't get 90+ points having to forever play catch up.

The team have tried their damndest, but if we don't get some control in the list run-in, we've no chance.

I mentioned before that in my 35+ years of following Liverpool, I've never seen us win a league title race.

I'm hopeful this will be my first! But… we're making it hard. We need Jota back asap, especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’s possible that it’ll be like 1989 all over again and we lose out to Arsenal on GD!
    Thankfully it won’t be as difficult a loss of the league as that horrendous night was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Failing to control the 55th to 75th minute is what cost us that win. We just ceded the ball, went toe to toe, lost shape, silly passes, wasteful on the ball. We got too emotional, another thing I've seen thrown around here in regards to Arsenal, they'd have finished that UTD performance first half and would have been out of sight.

We regained control once Harvey, Gomez, Gakpo and Jones settled into it. But ultimately we just couldn't get that 3rd.

I cried that night! I was 10, ha.

It's tough, we've always come up short. Whenever we've won it, it's been at a canter (ie. no race) like '88, '90, '20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Nunez supplying some gifs today Christ he was awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God I read that completely differently I thought he was patient and played calmly between the lines.

It's a huge overreaction. In both cases, their end productis poor too often but between now and the end of the season, either and probably both will contribute decisively. As others have said, Jota is a huge loss because it takes the goalscoring burden off Diaz and always him to create. Nunez, I'm not so sure of. I'd actually have rathered we started with Gakpo and then bring Nunez on when the game was stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I would have to agree with ST on this. He was lethargic and indecisive, which is fair enough he's not back up to match speed yet.

Yeah Jones was good when he came on. We were in control after the subs.

Joint top with 7 games to go. City would swap places with us 100 times out of a 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Maybe i'm wrong i don't know, i was very impatient for a winning goal ! and at one stage i roared at the tv when he got picked off.

It's very easy to be reactionary in judgement after a poor result, but i've just had that feeling about our front 3 all year, Nunez and Diaz are just not clinical enough, Mo disguises bad form with a few goals and those 3 will get you top 4 and into the knockouts of the CL but if you have aspirations of winning both they either need to be more clinical or be upgraded.

We created enough good chances today to win 2 games of football, Dom must have put 4 or 5 chances on a plate for the front 3 alone, i think we should rebuild our forward line this summer and bring in 2 starters.

Mosstin, with all respect and not intending to start an argument, but your 1st sentence belies everything you said afterwards. I like Diaz and Nunez but if I'm brutally honest, neither are good enough to win the league, imo. Nunez can improve, as he's a good bit younger, but Diaz's output isn't good enough for a side hoping to win the PL. I am certainly hopeful both will step up and fire us to the title.

Palace, Fulham, Everton, West Ham

They have 3 wins between them in the last 24 games. We need to win these 4, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lots of twists and turns left in this title race that's for sure.

Today's point might be the one to win it.

Long way to go.

everybody is telling me around the internet when I question why lately he is leaving Danns on the bench ? Oh he is too young a player for next year etc . Firstly if he’s on the bench he’s rated highly enough , secondly the brief times we have seen him he’s looked up to it and thirdly he’s as likely to make as much as an impact as any of them off the bench , bursting into box for one . Am sorry I have to see more of him in coming games .

• Advertisement

It doesn't at all. Diaz has returned several times over the last few league matches between goals and assists. He and Nunez combined for our first today. They are both wasteful but they will both create chances just by being on the pitch. They won't always take them but when someone like Jota is back, he almost certainly will, Salah too when he's out of his slump.

Fair points. As I've said, I like the lads… but if they were more decisive, we'd be in poll position. The fact we're praying for Jota to return means the 2 boys are not at THAT level.

Salah worries me almost as much. I know he's scored today and against Brighton but his performances have been off in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Damien360

I was shot down for saying it before but I think he is on his way out the door. Likely the retirement league in Saudi. Klopp leaving can't have helped any decisions to stay. We will see in a few months if that pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ. Hugely frustrating.

Of all the poor all-round performances, Mo, Nunez, Diaz etc, the really disappointing one for me was Szoboslai. The others were making errors in big heightened pressure filled moments, but Szobo was making big errors with time on the ball, not closing breaking balls urgently enough, and just looked like his head wasn't there at all. If I could go back in time and change one starter to change the game, he'd be it.

A trip to Atalanta in a two legged tie takes a little bit of the pressure off now, and hopefully can get a few lads sharpened up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He has dropped his level a little I think, but his numbers are still impressive. I think his injury has had an effect on him, but it could just be his age as well. With Ramadan ending hopefully Tuesday you hope to see him performing better. I have no doubt it does affect athletes in some way but we have been lucky with Salah that he has been performing for us throughout his time here. I think he started slowing down a little 2 seasons ago and again last season a bit more with Ramadan playing no role in that. Still better than most in the Premier League though.

One thing he does have these stretches a few times a season and then bounces back. If he can do that for us for the final 7 league matches I don't think anyone will complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

Ramadan ending shortly will see better performances from Salah and Konate. To think otherwise would defy all logic.

Instant red. Despicable, when you remember what Jones was sent off for vs Spurs (in that game where all the ref's were wined and dined in Saudi a few days earlier).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Szobo has been dreadful so far in 2024, his form was starting to drop off before he got the injury and nose dived when he returned...I'm not sure if its because Trent is no longer down his wing or whatever it is, but he's completely out of sorts.

Someone mentioned earlier during the week that Liverpools average form throughout March was going to catch up on them today and I kind of thought the same myself, even though i hoped it wouldn't be the case.

The last 4 weeks, we are team that goes through the motions for large periods, creating half chances, snatching at most of them, and look genuinely indecisive so often in possession. But what makes it really frustrating, is if the opposition offers any retort or treat to us, we immediately look vulnerable and look like we can concede from any part of the field.

I predicted 6 wins and 2 draws from the final 8 were required from us to win it and I still think thats the case, however there's simply no chance we can win 6 of the 7 now remaining if this form continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭boosabum

That's my point, not ruthless enough again mid table sides called man utd and relegation teams called Everton. It's on them all (klopp and players) and results against these teams when they have been rubbish has cost us titles in the two near miss seasons too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nonsense tbh.

94 and 97 points, what cost us is cory getting one more.

You have to draw the line somewhere with blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I do agree with this. I don't think we can do 7 on the spin.

But I don't think today is a full indicator of how clinical we are. Honestly, the style of chances we got today do not come against 99% of teams. I think the amount of time they had around the box fúcked with their brains. They ended up playing extra passes unnecessarily in the box, not shooting in front of goal 20 yards out, and all manner of other things. Nothing was instinctive because they were wandering towards the Utd goal easily at will. It was mad. Szoboszlai in particular refused to shoot and kept trying to play people in. It made no sense.

None of this is an excuse. But the lads honestly looked like they'd too much time to think every time they made it to the Utd box.

I've never seen anything like the two games we've now seen at Old Trafford.

Similar to the cup game in that regard. Another 5 v 2 chance butchered today as well.... Too easy at times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Not at all. City are like Sonia O'Sullivan heading into the last lap of a 5000m race in 3rd position. Sonia and everyone in the stadium knows she'll make her move into the final corner and get over the line first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sonia had a curry last night....

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

No an oil state cheating with 115 breaches of FFP cost us 2 titles. Having the mentality to recover from been cheated out of league with 97 points is as tough as it gets but to Win the CL in the same season is remarkable resilience. Winning the league the year after by a record amount is one of all time premier league great achievements. That on Klopp.

Problem is this team is playing 3 reserve defensive players, a brand new midfield this season and strikers in Nunez/Diaz/ Salah that are nowhere near the peak Mane/Bobby/ Salah years so we over performed immensely this season and now unfortunately beginning to wane noticeably.

Having said that, the wastefulness was astounding today in way I can’t remember watching before. Not sure if it’s just a coincidence or more to it but since Salah and Szobo have returned to the starting 11 vs United in FA Cup we’ve been getting progressively worse up front and conceding every game.

If this form continues we need to very careful vs Atalanta because the UEFA cup final is prob our best chance at 2nd trophy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

I’d say if we didn’t get that penalty and still trailing by a goal he would have came on fairly quickly, would have still liked him to come on even at 2-2 but can see why Klopp didn’t.

Advertisement