Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Terrible result for Liverpool against a really bad Utd team. How bad was Curtis Jones though…..awful when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Are Liverpool usually that piss poor in front of goal? I've only seen them playing us but the amount of chances they wasted is absolutely shocking. Nunez is a comedy footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

As a United fan I'll take a point...thought they lack any composure and rely on moments of magic...Liverpool still in it but really need Jota back...Nunez tries hard but is very limited so need to replace him with Jota asap

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

As I said in the United forum earlier, the game was never a straightforward win for Liverpool despite a lot United fans fearing the worst . You only need to watch the FA cup game to see we have butchering chances and good positions at an insane rate and that continued vs Brighton and Sheffield United but today was another level. The worst finishing I can remember for a lot time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta say I didn't think Wan Bissaka fouled Elliott. I initially thought it was a penalty but after watching replays I don't think it was.

He never made contact with the player and Elliott put his foot down between his legs and basically took a dive, there was no need for him to go down there. It's quite clear he wasn't affected in any way by putting his foot where he did.

Like Keane said after the game, it was clever attacking play from Elliot. He certainly bought the penalty but AWB was reckless sliding in there, there is no margin for error with those tackles.

Can we play Liverpool every week it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Disappointed to come away with a draw in the end. Liverpool had control of the ball but they were largely poor in front of goal.

Brain dead from AWB to go to ground when he did. Offered them the way back in.

Mainoo goal was out of this world though. The level of talent that lad has is outrageous.

Liverpool a couple of levels below where they were 18-24 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Of course sure nobody gave Liverpool a chance at the start of the season for the league some even saying they would be lucky to get top 4 as they expected a team in transition

It's not over yet but failing to beat that United side today is criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

What was Wood at? Blasting it from 2 yards out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He scored a great goal today but I still struggle to see the hype behind Mainoo as a midfielder. Liverpool created chance after chance after chance today. They didn't take them, but it's not uncommon for Man Utd to concede so many chances. Their midfield is very poor, Mainoo at the heart of it, and only for poor finishing/final ball could have have lost by 3 or 4 goals. Defensive midfielder should be putting a stop to that. Utd got away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Has Maddison just got away with a red there because his punch was a **** one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

A defensive midfielder should be putting a stop to that, completely agree. It's why Casemiro was so poor today and needs to be replaced with someone to go beside Mainoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

How on earth did VAR clear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They have developed into a really strange team.

They basically okay without a midfield. Casamiro is a busted flush, and for all their talent none of Bruno, McTomoney, Ericson or from what I've seen of Mainoo have any presence in the middle. They basically sit into a low block, concede lots of shots, and if they get the ball back kick it forward to the fast lads up front and hope they pull a rabbit out of the hat or won a penalty or something.

It's a.strange setup, effective at times but not sustainable for a team battling for league honors, which I suppose is why they are so far off of the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What a screamer from VDV.
    That fella is a hell of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Late injury time equalizer for Sheffield United. Delighted after that cynical trip a few minutes ago from Cucharella, with his thumbs up.

Past time for the son bin to be introduced for that type of foul IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seems its ingrained in players to cheat nowadays, any chance of a penalty they will try to engineer contact.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 32 table

Arsenal (92/51)

Liverpool (92/42)

Man City (91/40)

Spurs (81/20)

Villa (78/17)

Man Utd (70/-1)

West Ham (66/-4)

Newcastle (68/13)

Chelsea (68/3)

Brighton (64/2)

Wolves (63/-5)

Bournemouth (62/-10)

Fulham (57/-4)

Palace (51/-18)

Everton (50/-10)

Brentford (47/-13)

Forest (43/-16)

Luton (43/-20)

Burnley (37/-35)

Sheff Utd (37/-52)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Watch it again. Elliot’s right foot is caught by Bissaka’s trailing leg. It’s a penalty. The eagle eyed should see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not surprised it was given sadly.

Mainoo goal was special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Pool fans should be more worried about the 70mill spent on Szoboszlai and he 5 years older than Mainoo

Manioo is a kid....and one of the best in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It was special alright. He started it, drove forward, played it out wide and instantly demanded it back, didn't get it, demanded it again, got it and what a finish. He knew it was in once he hit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In the couple of sub appearances I've seen of Antony recently I think he's starting to click. I thought he was a busted flush but now I'm not so sure.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The problem isn't mainoo. He actually got in a **** tonne of defensive work. The problem is in front of him. Bruno in particular is a midfielder only in name and vacates the position constantly. He chases back and all, but it's all reactive, and needlessly wastes energy.

A supremely skillful player but there's some awareness lacking there for me. Fully think he's from a bygone era.

Were they?
    I posted this in the Liverpool thread last summer.

There was some pool fans understating their position but a lot thought they were the best-placed team to challenge City - it turns out they were right.

I'm just pointing out that they are a level below what they were maybe 24 months ago. They would have killed that Utd team 18-24 months ago.

I have a feeling Arsenal or City wouldn't have let Utd back into that game today and it's especially hard to see Arsenal or City going behind like Liverpool ended up doing today.

It's not over by a long stretch but Liverpool will need to come up a gear or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

@citytillidie is there any chance you can post a screenshot of that table. Current formatting issues means it shows up weird, but it's a very clever table that is handy to look at every week.

He's more the second striker in a 4-4-1-1 setup I think.

Needs to be given license to roam and create etc..
    But yeah I'd agree Bruno isn't much of a "midfielder"

He is what he is.
    And that's not a 80m+ player unfortunately. He can however be a good cog in a better built squad I think long term.

But he isn't and never will be the difference maker over a season.

If Utd had actually done the deal correctly, and not waited all summer to get the deal done then he could have been picked up for 35m (plus add-on) or something similar I think he would be seen in a much better light.

We paid superstar money and that was always going to create issues for him.

On one hand you totally correct , no way city/arsenal now or Liverpool of 2 seasons back don’t win that game today. I couldn’t disagree more though with your comments around this expectation at start of season Liverpool would challenge for the league.

Getting back into the CL and winning a trophy has already been enough improvement for almost all Liverpool fans expectations before the start of season . To be top of the league, into start of April despite the worst sustained injury crisis Klopps ever had to deal with has been remarkable and totally unexpected. That team today was made of one 3 of 5 defensive players being reserves, a whole midfield all bought new in summer and strikeforce that barely played together since Xmas.

Despite all that It’s was absolutely shambolic wastefulness today given the stakes but the signs have been there in FA cup game and the previous 2-3 prem games. Getting Allison , konate and Jota back are badly needed for UEFA and league run in.

The injury stuff is with hindsight though. Klopp has done extremely well to navigate it.

But…Looking at the squads at the start of the season with the players Liverpool signed during the summer did you not think you'd have a decent tilt at the title, especially if City dropped off?

The midfield was Liverpool's biggest issue and they addressed it pretty well last summer I thought.

I'm addressing the idea that nobody give Liverpool a chance at the start of the season, that they were a side in transition and would be lucky to make top 4 as it is massively underplaying where they actually were.

If you put the squads down on paper you'd see they had at least 3 world-class players and then a few more that are very high level.

How many other squads have 2/3 world-class players?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But there are times when you need him to be the second striker and he's not there. Hojlund picked up the ball from deep a couple of times and made driving runs to set set up attacks. One lead to a chance, the other was killed by fernandes, but ultimately if he is to be that no 8 he needs to be in that pocket more and not drifting absolutely everywhere and demanding the ball.

He needs to be a little bit more economical really. He could be the best player in the world at that position if he just played smarter

But saying liverpool addressed their midfield well is hindsight also. You won’t find any bookies odds or Liverpool fans who expected Liverpool to challenge for the league at the start of this season with an aging squad in such a downward trajectory finishing out the CL places. We were starting this season with Henderson/Fabinho/ Thiago devoid of pace . Nunez was being branded alaughing stock annd Trent and VVD light years off their top levels. In 1 window sold and bought a whole new midfield after missing out on Caicedo/Lavia , Endo looks incredibly underwhelming.

You don’t seem to really grasp that things were so poor last season Klopp was heavily linked with leaving so the turn around this season have been a fantastic but very unexpected journey. On paper that united team and money spend wouldn’t have expected such a falloff this season in contrast.

• Advertisement

Liverpool started the season as 3rd favorite for the league.

https://www.nbcsports.com/soccer/news/premier-league-2023-24-season-odds-title-winner-top-four-relegation-golden-boot

They were heavy odds-on to be Top4. It was only City and Arsenal ahead of them?
    They also had the 2nd favorite and 3rd favorite for the golden boot.

I grasp Liverpool had a poor season last season but I also grasp that they still had the 2nd/3rd best squad in the league at the start of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Third favourite - but look at the odds. A distant third favourite. Third place last year finished a hefty 14 points off the pace. I think predicting Liverpool to finish third was reasonable enough. Predicting them to be within touching distance at this stage of the season looked a lot more far fetched, as those odds would look to reflect.

It's not THAT distant all the same. Looking at 4.5 for Arsenal and 8.00 for Liverpool on Aug 11th.

https://talksport.com/football/1441544/premier-league-winner-odds-2023-24-manchester-city-arsenal/

City are the biggest effect on the price as they come in heavy favourites after doing the treble. Understandably, bookies would not be taking on the treble winners in prices.

If we look at the markets without Man City in the betting
    Looking at 2.75 for Arsenal and 4.00 for Liverpool. It's clear those 2 are considered next in line should City not go on a tear

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/betting/football/bet365-hub/premier-league-winner-without-man-city/

Bookies had Liverpool shorter than Utd who had finished 3rd… 8 points ahead of them for example. And there was a lot of talk of Utd pushing on again this season after good work done last year.

Shorter than Chelsea and their massive transfer outlay and new manager. Shorter than the richest club in the world in Newcastle who many tipped to push on again…

I'm not buying the idea that Liverpool were some also ran, no hopers at the start of the season. They had the 2nd/3rd best squad and baring City running away with it (which you cannot really control) then Liverpool would have fully expected to be in the hunt or close to it, as the odds reflect.

I'm not saying we were predicting that Liverpool could put up 100 points or anything like that. I'm saying that if City had a more regular season and end up in the 85 point range then Liverpool would have a shout.

City as it turns out did that and both Arsenal and Liverpool are in the hunt… Who could have predicted? Well, everyone it turns out 😂

I don't know why Liverpool fans have this obsession with trying to play themselves down as massive underdogs all the time…

But if we ask how many world-class players are currently playing in the PL we'd get loads of shouts for VVD, Salah, Allison, TAA etc… so which is it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Liverpools bookie odds are always wrong,,a bigger fan base distorts it ,,,I would never see them at a " good price" for anything.

Utd have a bigger fan base and finished 8 points and 2 places ahead of Liverpool last season. But started behind them in the betting?
    That doesn't really hold up

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

In the premier league era we’ve only ever won one league title. So in terms of winning the premier league, surely we are underdogs. We have some world class players. We are not a city or what Utd were however. The other challengers this year City have 7 and Arsenal have won 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, Arsenal haven't won the title or anything of note really in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Some hoops to explain why Arsenal were second favourites and Liverpool are underdogs

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Fwiw I would have had Liverpool and Arsenal joint second favourites at the start of the season. We strengthened and arsenal got Rice. My main consideration was if arsenal could back up what they did last season and they have to be fair. Not surprised were the 3 challengers. Maybe thought city would be a bit more comfortable but still think they’ll win it. And after yesterday probably arsenal second and us third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Liverpool were mainly a laughing stock when they were using McAllister as a DM to replace Fabinho/Henderson, that would have left them languishing mid-table. Klopp recognising this and actually signing a DM (Endo) to fill that cavernous hole in the squad, put them firmly back in the title hunt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement