Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The team were under powered, depleted and some of them were vomiting during the game, POM Coombes and Beirne were all visibly unwell during the game, Casey and Crowley were both playing through illness too.

Yet despite all of this, they put it up to the top team in the Premiership for 60 mins when we had veteran props and wingers playing the full 80 with academy players on the bench for regulatory purposes.

I'm really proud of his team. They lost and Northampton were definitely the better team on the day, but the grit shown by so many of our players is truly remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

+1

When you consider the bug affecting the team and also the guys missing from the team today was a good performance.

We needed a cushion in the scoreline at halftime, alas, it wasn't to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Northampton were the better team on the day but Munster did their best under the circumstances.

Roll on now to the URC - we were going to be under massive pressure to advance further in this competition and now we can focus on one thing instead of two

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Not too disappointed to lose a game like that

Add, Jager, Baron, Kilcoyne Ryan, Synman, Nash, Daly to the first 23 and its a different game, bench was URC standard at the very best.

O Brien has been my player of the season, would love to see him at 12 giving an extra second to our attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

cant understand leaving archer on for 80 mins.
    We were getting minced in every scrum so and archer was a pssenger in the loose so surely the sub prop could have added something.

I was confident of a win until we lost snyman and daly.

Looking forward to next weekends games. Gonna be some classics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I think there's a strong argument that Beirne is the most talented player we've ever had. In terms of raw ability he's the best Irish forward I've seen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Beirne was incredible. Playing slat that level while sick is just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A game that showcased the very best of this competition; huge intensity and brilliant attacking ambition. Especially in the first half. Alas, not meant to be. Proud.

and hes doing it from the second row, if a player had that performance at 6 it would be impressive enough not to mind in the 2nd row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Yeah that's a great point. His numbers for us this season are unreal. The level of influence he has on all facets of the game while playing at lock is ridiculous. Genuinely don't think it's hyperbolic to suggest that he's Irelands's most talented forward ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

so Jackman was right that all was not well in the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I would gather that Munster will need to sign atleast 7 new players to be competitive next season: 1 loose head, 1 tighthead, 1 second row, 1 fly half, 1 outside centre, 2 wingers/utility back. Archer, Scannell are finished in the front row, Snyman gone, Carbery gone, Frisch gone, Zebo retiring, other wingers not fast enough, Haley rumoured to be leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

LH and TH are possibilities rest of your suggestions ain't happening.

Second row we have kleyn, edogbo, Beirney, ahern, whycherley, hurley and Evan o connell in academy.

Out half we've Crowley, signed Billy burns, tony butler and Dylan hicks and tom wood in academy.

Back three we've Nash, Daly, SOB (tho like to see him at centre) coombes, Haley, campbell, and Ben o Connor and Shay McCarthy in academy. Our plight this season is this position was heightened by campbell and coombes being injured all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mun1

I know all teams carry injuries during the season, but this is current injury/illness/missing list to players who would reasonably expect to make/cjhallenge for a place in match day squad

Killer, Barron, Buckley, Ryan, Jager, Salanoa, Klyne, Snyman, Edogbo, Wycherley, Nash, Daly , .

Alongside some of the younger crop/ next off the rank injured, Campbell, quin, Gleeson, patterson .

Players played their hearts out yesterday and couldn't fault them, but the bench could have done with a few of the above players about the 60 min mark.

Worst thing is only Nash/snyman/daly and possibly Jager will be back for SA trip.

Doubt that we will see this squad together for the remainder of the season (or ever)

Loughman, Barron, Jager, snyman, Klyne, POM, hodnett, Beirne , Casey, Crowley, Nash, Nank, Frisch, daly, Haley.

Subs: killer, scannell, ryan, Edogbo, Aherne, Coombes, Patterson, carbery, Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Apologies, forgot Burns was coming in. Also forgot about Campbell & Liam Coombes, guess they’ve been injured for a year at this stage. Would still like to see Munster move Daly into 13 and sign a pacy winger instead.

i think we might have to contend with the fact that some of those injured players might never get back, and some of them might never get back to the level required and some of them might get back after lengthy absences only to be gone again for another issue.

killer didnt ever look fit enough to me in his last playing period, and hes been out a while since. He needs to do a huge amount of work akin to what Cian Healy did to get trimmer and stay relevant if he wants to compete at this stage of his career

Apparently edogbo has had some very serious injuries and surgeries but has youth on his side.

Barron, Salonoa, Campbell and coombes are squad players, URC level players like klendennen and loughman that will fill in for European games but very unlikely to push for international honours of any significance

If frisch goes in the summer, and it all looks like he will then Munster need a solid midfield option as well as strengthening other areas of the side

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Loughman is already in the Irish squad. Kendellen has already captained Munster, already nearly has as many Munster appearances as tadgh Beirney, and is still only 22. Kendellen is five or six years away from his ability ceiling and I would bet my house he'll get a rake of Ireland caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Happyhouse22

loughman got into the irish squad because of injury, hes not anywhere near at a level where he is pushing for the starting jersey.

Kendellen is a great player, but hes not shown anything like international level, maybe he improves as he gets into his prime but lets be honest if kleyn, snyman or edogbo were available beirne would have moved to 6 and klendennen would probably have not made the weekends 23

And il take that bet because players like hodnett, prendergast, deegan, penny, gleeson and ahern are ahead of him in those depth charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Kendellan is 23 and needs to make a significant leap to start for Munster, nevermind Ireland. It's not impossible but Coombes and Hodnett were both nailed on starters for Munster at 23 and neither looks like getting a rake of Ireland caps. Would you think Kendellan will be a certain starter for Munster next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Salanoa will play for ireland if he can get healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I've heard a few people speak of this bug. If true, and I'm not suggesting it isn't, they simply should have done a snyman to it and phoned in sick.

Maybe I'm being harsh but take the f'n day off and let somebody from the academy in! I'd prefer to see a fit inexperienced player in the squad over a sick experienced one any day

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At the risk of history repeating, Dan Kelly should be IQ again this summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And an academy side would have been trounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Post edited by awec on

I'm sure EPCR would allow them to register more players on a temporary basis in the exceptional circumstance

Care to elaborate a little as to why you think it's a dumb take?

because your advocating for widespread potential injury to young fellas

Not only would the rules not allow it but its completely negligent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Pretty sure all of the academy players aside from McSweeney were registered to play yesterday. Munster have also given significant minutes to year one academy players in competitive fixtures this year, one came off the bench yesterday. Realistically guys like O'Connell, Okeke, Quinn (was he injured?) Coughlan, Butler and O'Connor could have played and not been an injury risk. Not sure if this would have been the correct call or not but the reasons you are giving are definitely wrong.

• Advertisement

Fairly sure it was allowed that time the lads got stuck in South Africa. As I say, extreme circumstances and EPCR usually make allowances

Advertisement