Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the fact you have to slow it down to a ludicrous pace to see Elliott sort of trail his leg into the tackle means I wouldn't have moaned for a second if it was the other way round, sorry.

AWB took the bait, barely grazed the ball, and Elliott is under no obligation to try and avoid the slide as it comes in.

the complete outrage about that penalty from some is mind-bending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s mad cause it feels that this team is overachieving and underachieving at the same time. I think we all realise how unlikely it is at all that we’re in a title race when you consider where we were last year and the lengthy injuries to key players, but the games that we drop points in we’re leaving an awful lot of chances out on the pitch!

If any one of the 3 goes 100% for the rest of the season they’ll deserve it. Need to move on from yesterday and hopefully get a win against Fulham and get back on track. Still plenty of football to be played yet, and while games are definitely frustrating in the moment it’s fantastic to see us in the mix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

The final league table may suggest that Liverpool won the league comfortably in 1990 but in reality it was very different. Aston Villa had the measure of Liverpool up until about the final 8-10 games when the pressure got to them. We weren't great either but having more experience through the team and a larger squad got us through. If Graham Taylor's side had another 2/3 players in his squad they may well have won the league.

The 1988 team blew away the league, they were so dominant that they had the league won by March and after that it was cruise control which is probably why they lost the FA Cup Final to Wimbledon.

The 1986 title was really exciting as Liverpool, Everton and West Ham were all in it. Everton were the favourites, but we had a chance because they had to play West Ham in the final stretch of games. Forest beat West Ham and drew with Everton which proved to be the difference between the teams. Everton's draw with Forest was the second last game of the season and we won the title by 2 points on the final day.

This season was supposed to be one of transition with the objective of getting back into the Champion's League. Nobody expected us to be in the conversation regarding the league title. The team lacks composure, we concede a goal and then it's adrenaline football chasing the game to get a result. My concern at this point is that Klopp doesn't run the players into the ground as has happened before because it will impact on the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thnk it was a soft penalty but it was all down to AWBs stupidity, I'd be annoyed if one of our defenders gave it away.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Yes u are spot on I think, Diaz, nunez and gakpo not good enough and too wasteful, even salah and dom yesterday should have had 2 each at least, I know we concede goals and chances but that's the way we play I think, we push on and create loads of chances while leaving ourselves vulnerable at the back but I think klopp bets on us outscoring the opposition but our wasteful strikers are letting us down, imagine a prime fowler, suarez or torres getting all them chances and service, fowler would score 50 a season I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Like even sliding in like that to block someone's way but not actually ramming into them is arguably obstruction, Elliott was careful to make sure his leg hit AWB but given AWB was literally lieing in his path he can't have many complaints.

Ai might have been aggrieved if that was given against me 10-15 years ago but that's the game now.

• Administrators Posts: 54,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are not good enough, they are all good players.

I am saying that we can't afford all 3 of them as it means we have too many attackers who we cannot be relied on to score goals.

• Administrators Posts: 54,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good post.

By and large, we are rarely, if ever outplayed in a game. It's not like last year where midfield was getting destroyed. The frustrating thing is dropping points like yesterday where it's entirely our own wastefulness costing us points.

It wasn't some tight game where we missed the one chance that fell our way in the 95th minute or something, we wasted chance after chance after chance to put that game to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Always tough on a Monday after a gutting loss, add in that we are now out of the title makes it even more galling. I wished we would have put up more of a fight in Klopp's final season but I guess being out of it with 7 games left is not the worst thing.

So focus now turns to the Europa League, in case we cannot keep hold of a top 5 position to ensure we are back in the Champions League next year. At least that will be another trophy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If it had not of gone in he was getting sent off as he did get a finger tip to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't think we'll win it from here but we're certainly not "out" of the race. We're only second on GD and we're a point ahead of Man City after 31 played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think since Salah has returned, it no coincidence that our from has skewed a touch. He's obviously not playing near his best, which doesn't help, but when Salah plays we tend to set up completely different, especially without the ball.

When Elliot was wide right, he would tuck in as a fourth midfielder when in transition, giving us more numbers in the middle and a better balance, but he would also make himself as an viable touchline option when we went on the attack, he could go to the by line, just keep wide and create the overlap, or he would often do as Salah does and cut in.

When Salah is off form he becomes so predicable, he tries to force goals, but does the same thing every time to do this, cut in and try get his shot away. It makes us so much easier to defend that wing, as the full back knows what he's going to attempt 99% of the time.

He was gone it that ball goes wide, gets a finger to it and he was outside the box. By the rules, he should have got a yellow, but I don't think the ref actually noticed the touch.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

People saying we're out of it are driving me insane, we may not win, but we're definitely not out of it yet. This was always a dodgy one of our fixtures and we were never going to win 8 from 8, it's still technically in our hands and we've a home game against Palace up next. A good win in that and give us confidence for some touch fixtures ahead…

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

That unfortunately only guarantees we finish ahead of City at this point in time and potentially face losing the league on GD. The games tomorrow will have huge impact on the run in , if both Arsenal and City look like they have a strong chance of going through after tomorrow night games then fixture pileup may really help us given they both meet eachother in semis.

I hope im wrong but i think Bayern will actually test arsenal alot more than people expect. You see it regularily teams have poor domestic campaigns but go deep in Europe so as poor as Bayern are in the league, they still a quality team on paper and doing well in the CL so i wouldnt be shocked to see Kane put afew past them. If they go out of the CL vs bayern then our league chances take a huge blow because we are not clawing back GD of 9 if both teams win their remaining 7.

It's too early to be worrying about goal difference, 2 or 3 games to go, yeah. Hopefully by then we've narrowed it but it could be in our hands again by then.

Spurs will have a big say yet. City away to them is a tough one, they've a good record against them IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's been a full decade now, but playing Palace in a title run in is bringing back some horrific memories 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

how are we out of the title race that’s a ludicrous thing to say we are 9/4 to win it Arsenal were 11/4 last week were they out of it ? Appears not

A lot of twists and turns to come the fact we are still ahead of city fills me with hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's better to get the blip out of the way earlier.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

Man U are 22 pts behind us in 6th place, so we cannot now finish outside the top 5 even if we lost every remaining game!!

Yesterday was dreadfully disappointing, and we’ve had a couple of those type results this season, but it really is all still to play for. As I said here last week, Jota is the biggest missing piece, hopefully he’s back sooner rather than later.

With the Europa final being in Dublin, it would be amazing to reach that and it to be Klopp’s last game. The Bilbao stadium rocking to the TV coverage of the Copa del Ray final at the weekend is what Croke Park should be aiming for if that fan-zone idea works out. Would be class, as it’d be almost full of LFC supporters. ( Mind you, they’ll probably charge €100 for a ticket 🙄🙄)

The fight remains well and truly on, let’s enjoy the ride!!

Double Whoosh. Did we really lose yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭steve_r

Chipping in on a few of the topics since the match

1. Performances against the top 6 - Far too many points dropped. The 3 games against United this season have really shown a wastefullness and a lack of game management.
    2. Diaz and Nunez - It feels harsh to critize Diaz as he has been scoring goals recently, but ultimatly he was signed as Mane's replacement and has not provided the same level of output. Nunez is a different character but wasteful again yesterday - he has the highest negative difference between xG and actual goals (6.7) i.e if he'd scored the 7 goals he should have then we'd likely have more points, or at least the same goal difference as Arsenal (more on that later). Jota in contrast has scored 3 goals more than his xg for the season.
    3. Goal difference. Arsenal have scored 3 goals more than us. They have conceeded 6 less. It's the defensive part that is hurting us more than the attack.
    4. Youth vs experience. The young blood in the team was obviously a huge help earlier in the season but I wonder know if a lack of experience is beginning to bite, we've seen errors from Quansah and Bradley. Part of me wondered how Thiago would have helped yesterday, as well as Trent. The type of passes Trent can play to start an attack are really missing from the gameplan right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

So disappointing not to win but only because we were so much better, get the 2nd goal and we win by 4 or 5.

Salah gave away possession several times yesterday by playing the ball inside creating a dangerous turnover, he also played a couple of unreal passes in the first half and scored a penalty with a gale blowing under huge pressure.

As mentioned above, Jota is a huge loss in these type of games and the good news is he will be back team training today along with TAA and possibly Alisson.

We are joint top with 7 games to go, we lost Matip for the season, Konate misses a fair few games, as a result Quansah has played 27 games this year and people need to remember he was playing League One football last year, he has been incredible and yesterday was unlucky, he went forward with the ball was aware of what was there, then turned and used the same image which had changed, he will learn from it.

Salah has missed 3 months from the start of Jan, TAA has been out for a lot of games.

We have not been playing great in terms of taking chances for the last few games & it caught up with us yesterday plus there is a mentality issue playing against Utd & Everton away; it was the same for us when Utd were on top, think Klopp has played those 2 teams 18 times away and he has won 4 games - 22% win record.

If Arsenal & City get through to the CL semi finals, it really helps us; Arsenal without Odegaard or one of their CBs and then things change massively for them.

We play 3 times up to the 24th, City play once; win all 3 and we will be 7pts ahead of them & we will have 4 games left which will put a lot of pressure on them to win those games in hand.

I went through a phase of wondering if Trent would get back in when fit but he's needed now alright.

The thoughts of getting by Palace at home next week but then having Jota, Trent and Ali back for the remaining games is exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm convinced we win the game yesterday with Trent or Jota. That's meaningless, I know, but as well as Bradley has done, many have completely underestimated what Trent gives us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Definitely miss Trent. Bradley done well but he's no Trent.

Not if Arsenal drop points, which is what I predicted they may do somewhere on the run in. The fixtures they have coming up, it would be amazing if they win 7 from 7. And if they do manage that, it would be fully deserved.

• Advertisement

If Arsenal do that, their form since the New Year would be something else, City and us from when we were at our peak.

That's wishful thinking. Alexander-Arnold played in the Anfield game last December in which we created even more chances than yesterday and yet didn't score a single one. The same personnel were in the front line on that occasion.

Elliott caused Wan-Bissaka more problems within 10 minutes of getting on the pitch than Salah did in 97 minutes. There is an issue with Salah making us predictable when he's not on form. Elliott's movement caused them problems, Salah did not. He was fortunate to score a penalty that masked his lack of performance in the game.

Arsenal were exhausted at the end of the Christmas period, dropping points they would never usually have. I think generally breaks have come at the right time for them.

From now though it’s a huge ask, especially with the CL. No real room to rest players and big games coming thick and fast. Unless they get battered tomorrow night and decide to concentrate on the league I’d be shocked to see them go the rest unbeaten. And if they do, fair play to them, it’s a huge achievement.

Trent also had a devastatingly accurate assist for Mo from the backline against Arsenal four days late tbf

Trent is capable of doing that out of nothing, nobody else in the team can really do that. That isn't a criticism, very few players can see it and then bloody execute it.

My post was sarcastic, in case anyone was confused. But seeing some of the carry-on on here from, admittedly a minority, and elsewhere you would think that is what happened. I hate losing to United more than any other team and this draw felt like a loss in the aftermath, but I think we need to take the positives. The conditions when the match started made it a little difficult but we were beaten by a mistake by one of our players and then a world class finish from Fernandez and Mainoo.

We should have won but we dominated and that is just as important for me. If you struggle to create chances you are in trouble as you cannot rely on one off mistakes and a world class strike in every match. I think we can put 6 or more on a team in the future as we have not had one of those matches yet. Just need to keep calm, look forward to Thursday and then next Sunday again. No match will be easy, they never are at this time, but we have a good group of players out there at the moment and good players coming into contention as well.

I just want to say, I like all our players and want all of them to do well, but Jota has never been better than he is right now. I guess it is natural, but there are many matches where he is missing or he does not score and is called useless by some. It will be good to have him back as he offers something different to Diaz and Nunez and Salah, but he is not a magic bullet on his own. He will frustrate and miss chances just like the others as well and I want him back not because I think he would have won us the match yesterday, but because having him back allows us to rest some of the others without dropping our level and that is just as important.

That has no relevance what so ever.

Yesterday the shots on goal stat at half-time was 15-0 in our favour. In an away game against Man Utd that is unprecedented. We had a further 13 shots on goal in the second half.

For perspective, last season we were winning 1-0 at half-time in the game at Anfield and went on to win 7-0 with a total of 18 shots on goal. Gakpo, Nunez and Salah each scored 2 goals.

Creating chances has not been our problem in the games against Man Utd this season, players failing to show a bit of composure and finishing them has been. Having Alexander-Arnold in the line-up wouldn't have changed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Trent has also scored 2 hugely important goals himself this season, both fantastic finishes.

There's not even an argument as to whether or not we miss him, he's one of our best players!

Imo the only better creator the Premier League has is KdB.

So, basically I half disagree.

Alot of our chances yesterday were actually butchered moves more than anything save maybe the Sobo chance in the first half.

The Salah first time shot in the first half was reduced to a half chance by Diaz playing it behind him, the Nunez shot (or whatever it was) was him not having the vision/technique/whatever to simply square the ball.

Trent's assists are usually on the back of very accurate passes. Right pitch, speed, just on front of the player etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

What can you say about yesterday's match! Wasn't really surprised at the result, but, the manner of how we let that game slip away was really disappointing, we learned absolutely nothing from the FA cup match, I didn't think it possible, but, we somehow managed to outdo that match. We got what we deserved really, how we haven't beaten that United team over 3 matches this season is a mystery.

Our attackers are so wasteful, we must be training with no goalkeeper or bigger goals! Some of the misses yesterday by Szobo, Diaz, Nunez and Salah were criminal, they are the main reason we didn't win. Their first goal reminded me of the Gerrard slip goal, absolutely no danger and they score, Quansah really should have just passed it forward to Salah instead of turning, he then should have just passed back to Kelleher as VVD indicated, but, just blindly and casually passes the ball aimlessly in VVDs general direction, in fairness to Bruno he took it well, but, our response to that goal was really poor.

In the end we did well to salvage the draw, keeps us ahead of City which could be vital. I actually think we are more likely to win our remaining fixtures now after yesterday's display, I think it'll refocus the players minds, they know now they can't afford any further mistakes. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see us beat Palace by 3 or 4 next week. We definitely need to be more clinical in our remaining fixtures, the Everton match will be similar I fear.

I think Arsenal being top also changes things for them, they have shown they aren't great front runners, around Christmas time when they were top, they lost their way, same towards the end of last season. For the last few months they have been playing with the freedom of a team with nothing to lose, for the first time they now have something to lose, so will be interesting to see how they react. Unfortunately we've let control of the title race out of our hands and might not get it back. We could be relying on spurs to do us a favour 🙈!

All is not lost yet, but, it would be typical of us to lose on Goal difference and then lose the EL against Leverkusen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Did Jürgen say anything about Konaté before or after the match yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I'm not coming here to say I told you so, but I did predict drop points for you this weekend, based on the way you have performed the last 4 odd weeks. It would take some drastic change in form for them to comfortably beat Palace this weekend and go on to win the remaining 6 games.

You just cannot rely on constant come from behinds and late winners for that amount of games. As you are all well aware, you're not clinical enough, and look outrageously vulnerable against the most limited of attacking prowess.

I'd like to see you get back into some rhythm and keep the challenge going as it would be a shame for it to die without a whimper on Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,540 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Arsenal got one against Brighton, where the Brighton player did actually get the ball first, and they still gave it, so I'd be raging if that lunge from the United player, who never got the ball, but took out the player was waved away.

Not sure how reliable this person is but they seem to have appeared on Sky before to offer their opinions on this,

It was retweeted by The Anfield Wrap.

What is your thoughts on City so far this season and going forward?

• Advertisement

He's reliable. He had the Diaz and Nunez stories before they made headlines in the UK.

There was a report in Portugal at the weekend that representatives were meeting with Amorim's agent today to finalise a contract offer.

''Liverpool battered United on Sunday. They had 28 shots to 11. They won the xG 3.6 to 0.7. They should have been out of sight

And what’s worse, this is part of a pattern.

Liverpool have the highest total xG in the Premier League, yet have scored three goals fewer than Arsenal. The xG had them beating City home by more than a goal, but they drew. It had them beating United at home by more than a goal, but they drew. It wasn’t quite as stark in the home game against Arsenal but still, it was a game in which they were wasteful. If Liverpool do not win the league this season, they will, not unreasonably, blame the VAR mistake that cost them a goal at Tottenham, but if they look at the responsibility they must take, the failure to take chances in key games will loom large. It’s perhaps not insignificant that Diogo Jota missed Sunday’s game at Old Trafford and those three key home games.''

In my opinion, City are not the team they're from the previous few season. Hard to put my finger on exactly what's changed but they're not fully at it and can look vulnerable to anyonr willing to go at them and despite the popular opinions on here, i think they will drop points before the end of the season too...

• Advertisement
Advertisement