Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭gjim

Are we talking about the existing Docklands Station (2 platforms) or the planned Spencer Dock station? The latter will have 4 platforms and can serve as a terminus for both canal and drumcondra routes. But as far as I recall, it will not take diesel trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

When Metrolink opens, Glasnevin will be a much better place to stop than Drumcondra. Both would be overkill. Anyone wanting to get off at Drumcondra can change to a DART stopping there at an earlier station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'd imagine the Sligo train won't call at Drumcondra once Metrolink is up and running, and stop at Glasnevin instead. A lot of the students that get off at Drumcondra now, would be connecting to the metro, which is closer to their destinations anyway.

But then the Sligo train will get delayed anyway with the extra frequency Dart West trains. There's ways to get around them, but they don't use them currently, unless they really need to. I know the removal of level crossings, and ETCS will speed things up somewhat. But you can get from Mullingar to Connolly direct in about 40 mins if there's no other stops or trains in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Mullingar to Connolly in 40 minutes would be incredible. :-)

Methinks you mean Maynooth to Connolly. That journey takes 34-36 mins as it is with one stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭A1ACo

Has there Ever been a more divisive rail thread!?! ☹

But Yes, from an Efficiency standpoint - it will probably be more efficient to put:

The ‘A’ Infrequent, lesser stopping service (possibly long-distance) (e.g. inter-city)

&

‘B’ Frequent, and Frequent stopping (shorter-distance) service (e.g. DART)

- shuttling ‘A’ & ‘B’ on opposite sides of the same Interchange point.

But, I think that for passengers on long-distance, longer time (1hr+) ‘A’ services (think of the straw that broke the Camel’s back) – any slowing down, and/ or increases of stopping for people on the shorter 'B' leg – will be annoying.

(This can also hold true for people travelling on longer distance Dublin Bus services into the city (with a few stops in the city/ inner suburbs for those making a short hop, but with other bus options, slowing the service for passengers on longer journeys).

Re: ‘All change!’/ de-train off Intercity at Greystones, or Bray – into/from City - Nobody on a 1-hour service, never mind a 1.5+ hours service I think is going to want to change onto a lesser and possibly standing service for the last 1-hour/ 45 mins (even if it happens to be a little faster).

As for toilets, for people in cars and buses there is an easy ‘escape’,.. but you would be ‘captive’ on a train with no toilet, with very few toilets in stations along the way, and less ‘peace of mind’ as no option of ‘comfort rests!’.

People and passengers are always going to want more convenience, comfort and lazy options… vs. route efficiency - not everyone is going to be happy!

Post edited by A1ACo on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭A1ACo

If keeping long-distance, inter-city services all the way into Dublin city, would:

A BEMU Shuttle between Wicklow – Bray (3rd platform) - for an extra path between Greystones and Bray – take some of the pressure out of conflicts/ compromises!?

Maybe improvements to Wicklow/Rosslare? route –

Add set onto Intercity trains? i.e. a 3-car or 4-car extra onto peak, existing 3 or 4-car set

(maybe city bound ‘turn-off’ trailing, extra set until at longer stations (if too long for smaller stations)?.. and outbound advise passengers to get off at front of train?)

Fix whatever needs to be fixed, so that Dublin bound, Intercitys don’t wait outside Greystones until the DART has arrived (onto the opposite platform!)… Though I saw one instance recently where i think it blessedly didn’t wait as long!

Also, fix seemingly frequent enough delays of a few minutes each morning Dublin bound to Greystones direction, etc.

Add more shelters to platforms (including with no side panels if walking down width of platforms is a bit of an issue?).

Note ‘separately’ – there is a proposed Wicklow-Greystones Greenroute – for beside the train line and I think is stated to not interfere with the line’s future…

Wicklow to Greystones (wicklowgreenways.ie)

…though if finances at a future stage become an issue,.. I’d prefer the more mundane commuter option of upgrading the Wicklow-Greystones rail line to get the money - instead of the recreational/tourist, walking/ cycling Greenway getting it). Though there could be use of Environmental Studies etc. used for the proposed Greenway for any major rail improvement projects of the Wicklow-Greystones line…

Post edited by A1ACo on

The DMU running empty back to Connolly each night takes 65 minutes with nothing against it, 33 of which are between Mullingar and Maynooth, so I think you're pushing things a bit with a 40 minute claim for that entire journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve always been impressed by the depth of your knowledge on this topic but how on earth do you know the running time of an out of service train? You really are playing 3D chess! 😃

I’m not referring to that path. I’ll pull out the log for the journey I’m referring to. It’s not from the WTT.

• Advertisement

I posted that as an example as it’s the clearest example of how long it takes.

40 minutes is impossible from Mullingar to Connolly without seriously breaking the speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I second that! Also curious how you know the old running times way back when? Is this information available somewhere? @LXFlyer

I think I originally said about 40 minutes. So slightly above, and definitely not as high as 50.

Working timetable gives details of out of service train paths.

I really think that you are mistaken about this. That’s still shaving 10-15 minutes off the only non-stop service there is, which has no conflicts.

I was particularly interested in the train that I quoted above, because when the 20:50 to Mullingar was being introduced, I asked why couldn’t it be an hour later, and it was explained that it had to come back empty to do the last train on the Northern Line after going to Mullingar.

So, when I was fortunate enough to see a copy of the working timetable, I specifically checked the running times of that train as I reckoned it would be a good template for a non-stop path between the two locations. And I took a detailed note of it.

The fastest scheduled non-stop journey times between Connolly and Mullingar that I can recall is 60 minutes and that was 20 years ago. That was the evening Dublin-Sligo which had a completely clear run (the train ahead of it to Maynooth left Connolly over 20 mins beforehand).

Hence I do believe that anything sub-50 is just extraordinary.

These sort of things matter when you’re discussing the impact of DART+ on overall journey times for Intercity services. It needs to be realistic and not extraordinary.

For the record, analysing timetables, be they for buses, trains, aircraft is my “thing” in life outside of work. I can happily spend hours looking at how schedules are constructed and trying to see what could be done to improve them (if anything). I’ve timetables across all three modes going back to the 1970s stored away.

Hence the likes of bustimes.org is manna from heaven for the likes of me, as you can see what a vehicle does during the course of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭spillit67

You appear to be in the minority.

The daily users of the line want more frequency and are happy for the trade off.

What Irish Rail did even 10 years ago let alone 40 is not that relevant to today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd like to see what way the survey questions were phrased, as I would be surprised if @end of the roads opinion was the minority. Thats not to say people don't want increased frequency, just about loosing the train all the way to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭gjim

Regular/daily users are going to value increased frequency more highly and the change in Bray would just become routine. Such users - regular/daily - generally do not carry lots of luggage so the inconvenience of the change will be minimal. When I was a daily train commuter, changing trains was never a bother.

It's the infrequent users who are most likely to complain. But in terms of passenger trips generated, these users contribute much less to the viability of the line compare to daily/frequent users. Yeah, yeah, it's not "fair" or something, but track capacity is finite and so needs to be used as efficiently as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Why do Phoenix Park Tunnel services go so slowly between Hueston and Drumcondra? Is it the bend or something else about the track?

Can this be resolved, is there plans to improve speeds with DART+ SW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Could be the track. Videos I've seen of trains going through suggest that the track isn't very flat.

The Railway Order drawings for DART+ SW show that IÉ intends to lay completely new track through the tunnel, as well as adding the overhead electric lines.

• Advertisement

As per the Network Statement on the Irish Rail website there is a 30mph permanent speed restriction on that line.

Remember too that it’s really a link between two different networks, the Heuston side and the Connolly side, and consequently in order for the trains to work there would be a need to add additional time to allow for potential delays between the two networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭bikeman1

In general Irish Rail trains amble along at best. They've been slowed down so much over the years. The DART itself was over 10 minutes faster Howth to Bray. They crawl into the platforms. Electric trains should move much faster than the DART. Just look at Germany or the Netherlands to see how they drive their electric trains on stopping suburban services.

I must dig out some of my old timetables. From memory, the old 08:00 to Sligo was given 22 minutes to Maynooth and something like 30 minutes Maynooth to Mullingar. Not 40 minutes, but I recall under the hour.

On a Friday, the 17:05 was first stop Longford - always heaving full too as there were only 3 regular services to Sligo and one additional 15:55 Friday only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Economics101

For the most part its curvature, but there is a straight bit through Cabra which could be faster if they wanted. Also on the approaches to both Islandbridge and Glasnevin junctions there are often delays - yellow lights will slow you if the junction ahead is not clear in plenty of time. So overall, the exixtence of these two junctions with lots of scope for conflicting movements will slow things down. The timetable may be padded to allow for this.

If all Dart SW trains were to use just the North-facing tracks to Hezlehatch, when 4-tracking is completed right in to Islandbridge, that would get rid of a lot of potential conflicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the southside Dart is ridiculously slow in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The track outside the tunnel isn't old. As far as I know, it has concrete sleepers and welded rail. I think the issue is the five sharp(ish) bends and the grade from just outside Heuston to Connolly. That means reduced speed for medium to heavy trains. Light rail with over head lines could probably handle the inclines and bends better. (I do not know for sure though)

You do also have extra stops on the DART since it opened. Every stop adds at least 2 mins to the journey time and there are more conflicts at Connolly too with additional Maynooth and PPT services that don’t help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

This exactly. And it speaks to why a mix of direct/indirect trains is a sensible approach - those less frequent travellers with substantial luggage, etc. and/or more flexibility in regards to their timing can opt for a direct train. Those regular commuters with a laptop bag/backpack etc. can and will get on the first one that comes and change without a second thought when they need to. It's not perfect, but as mentioned, manages a finite resource.

how much of this slow speed would be caused by trying to sync with level crossings?

edit:- ot but anyone else experiencing problems with auto correct when typing replies on boards.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

The problem with the above is that given the existing resources of the available track, running that direct train seems to prevent the desired frequency from being achievable. Maybe the rare direct train is possible, but it's unlikely all 'infrequent' users will need to go at the same time, so many of them will either take the car or put up with the change to Dart

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If Metrolink gets extended to Bray, then there is that alternative for passengers travelling from Greystones or Wicklow to change onto a faster more frequent service into the city centre.

It all adds connectivity to frequent rail connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Depending on how old those timetables are, there may not have been Pelletstown, Navan Road Parkway, or even Drumcondra slowing down the Commuter/Arrow trains requiring the InterCity to slow down as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,223 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'm not in the minority at all.
    1 article surveying a couple of people who we don't know exactly what they were told or asked or how they were asked is meaningless.
    you can ask a question multiple ways and get different answers, it's a well known tactic for surveying purposes, nothing bad or wrong in it as it can give interesting perspectives in relation to the likes of political views ETC.
    a tiny minority of daily users are happy for what is claimed to be a trade off, a trade off which if it was genuinely that, is unnecessary.

in exchange for something that ultimately is unlikely to be delivered dispite the claims, something they could be given the whole way instead.
    what irish rail did 10 or 40 years ago is very relevant.

so you haven't provided any actual valid point here which begs the question as to why you bothered quoting me given i left the thread due to the fact i have already been on this roundabout plenty of times before, with the same arguments and i've better things to do.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I'm aware that the network was less congested and less stations (Clontarf Rd., Pelletstown, Navan Rd. Parkway, Clongriffin etc.), but the running is slower now between stations on the DART that were always there.

Nobody can say that the DART flies along between stations. As I say, it just trundles across the city. I'm not talking about the city centre, but further out. With DART West, the times need to be tightened up significantly over the current sluggish diesels on the route. S-Bahn's regularly hit the of platforms at 80-100kph and make a smooth stop at the station. Outside leaf fall, the DART should be doing this too, but they don't. Also, there is a lot of dwell time too and re-releasing of doors, that could be tightened up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Consonata

I think ultimately, on this basis they really should be looking at the terminating station being Bray rather than Greystones. Rosslare → Bray to then have the option of changing onto Metrolink/Dart+ makes far more sense imho. IÉ are kicking the can firmly down the road not resolving the Bray head issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Thanks for the reply. Yeah hopefully four tracking all the way to Hueston will help on that side. Maybe not much can be done after that, may as well be grateful for the tunnel service as it is!

Not unusual on the service for Hazelhatch to Hueston to be shorter than Hueston to Connolly.

• Advertisement

Metrolink won't open for nearly 10 years. Even if they were to resurrect the plan to upgrade the green line to Sandyford to metro standard, that's probably another 10 years. Luas to Bray is probably at least 15 years away now, for it to be upgraded to Metro as well you could be talking 30 years. We might as well be discussing the colonisation of Mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

By then the line will have fallen into the sea at Booterstown, Blackrock and Bray Head.

maybe then its will force them to quad track on stilts.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Nearly 10 years? I thought 2037 was the current most optimistic date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Distance between stations makes a big difference too. Munich S-Bahn does its central tunnelled segment (Hauptbahnhof to Ostbahnhof) at a blistering 26 km/h average: 9 minutes to travel 4km, with four intermediate stops. Stops are only around 750 m apart here, making the S-Bahn more like a metro service: the effect this has on straight-through travellers is one reason why a second, express, S-Bahn tunnel is being built. (Metrolink can have shorter inter-stop distances without killing the journey times because its smaller trains don't need to stay standing on the platform for as long)

DART has most stations over 1km apart. Connolly and Tara are 860 m apart, but Tara to Pearse is only 580 m. Even the fastest trains have no time to get up to speed and back down in that distance.

• Advertisement

Part of the problem may be the version of Automatic Train Protection used on the DART: it's very restrictive, and obsolete. Replacement by the new ETCS may help.

I find that station dwell times are very long on the DART, especially noticeable at stations with few getting on or off. Not hel.ped by passengers being slow to get to the doors prior of the train stopping

DART has most stations over 1km apart. Connolly and Tara are 860 m apart, but Tara to Pearse is only 580 m. Even the fastest trains have no time to get up to speed and back down in that distance

Just to add, the track condition between Connolly and Pearse is poor. Lots of bounce in the rails as the sleepers are moving, rails not welded and some of the sleepers are wood. You can see some of the ties are broken too. The vibration and loudness of the banging as trains pass by is quite severe.

I'm guessing that portion of the line, is to busy and to awkward to fix up.

they close parts of the Dart line on long weekends more often than not. They could easily close and relay Connolly-Pearse if it is that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not like the line is running 24/7 either.

It’s very clear.

They asked them about the mooted proposal on the shuttle service and increased DARTs.

There was naturally more trepidation from those who are infrequent users and with bags.

Funny how the Irish Times are all of a sudden in on this conspiracy.

The entire policy formation of transport in this country has greatly changed in the last 20 years. John Lynch is long gone.

Once again, I’d highlight that when other bodies looked at this they came to exactly the same conclusion.

The Loop Line from Connolly to Pearse is virtually all a bridge, and I presume wooden sleepers have something to do with weight and perhaps lessen the transmission of shocks to the structure from passing trains. As far as I am aware, it's not all that long since the track was renewed.

The line speed is the same as it always was, 30 mph (50 kph), and the distance between stations is so short that there is very little to gain from raising it. CWR is not a big issue in this hase (in my opinion), apart from lessening shocks as trains pass over rail joints.

1 hr 55 Enterprise services envisaged from the new train sets ordered.

Not clear on what line improvements this represents, it mentions battery and electric sections of the line which would be DART+.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-68744414.amp

True
    I wonder does the confined space of the bridge mean its more difficult to work in?

That makes sense actually. I doubt it's weight given the trains pass over it, but its probably more to do with the absolute depth the sleeper can go into the ballast. IE they cannot dig into the top of the bridge to lay most ballast, and they can't just lay more ballast as the track height would be to high for the platforms.

In any case it's moving a lot. When the tracks move it adds wear and tear or the trains and pounds the rails. I suppose if it was an easy fix it would have been done. but given the trains move slow enough across it, it's probably low down on the list of things to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,614 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slightly problem is that they haven't been ordered yet…

So that tender has been out couple of years now.
    It's been discussed on other threads. The spec for 8 trains is VERY Niche.

Some of the guys here think they'd use something like a 222 that's similar to UK Stock, I personally don't think that'll work given the spec.

No one seems to be going for the tender (Bigger better contracts in mainland EU I suppose)

Here's the tender:
    https://www.etenders.gov.ie/epps/cft/prepareViewCfTWS.do?resourceId=2440344

This is a call to competition by IARNROD EIREANN (IE) and NORTHERN IRELAND RAILWAYS COMPANY LIMITED (NI Railways) for the establishment of an 8 Year, Single Party Framework Agreement for the procurement of new Enterprise vehicles (Enterprise Fleet Replacement Agreement) required for the replacement of the existing Enterprise Fleet (the Contract). Along with procurement of the rolling stock, the scope of the procurement process will also include a maintenance contract in respect of technical support services and spares supply in relation to the new rolling stock (Maintenance Contract). IE and NI Railways (the Contracting Entity) now wish to initially procure 8 new trainsets up to a maximum of 200m in length to operate an hourly service between Dublin and Belfast. It is planned to have the entire new fleet in service in 2028 to 2029 and to deliver the end to end journey sub 2 hours or better on the existing infrastructure. Initial traction power will be Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Battery Electric (using the existing 1.5 kV DC OHLE) with the train designed to transition to a net zero carbon operation during its life by the removal of the diesel power generation for replacement with dual OHLE power supply equipment. The trains will operate on 1600mm track gauge, will operate in full length formation of a maximum of 200m in length and will be required to meet other gauging requirements of the Irish Rail - NI Railways network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement