Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I was thinking only of smaller fests and even then it’d probably require a few independents to combine together.

I’m fully In agreement with you on a craft beer or two if Heineken could be persuaded but I think there’s no will on their part. I can only see it happen were Heineken to buy an Irish craft brewery as they did with Lagunitas in California and several others worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Cockmill Arms is indeed a gem of a pub. In general tho, the beer offering at The G is the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Yep, no disagreement there but latterly I don’t drink all that much at Glasto anyway. It’s just too much work the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

they did indeed and i have several nice festival beer beakers due to it, I'll probably make a trip down to stradbally in advance of picnic to pick up some of the ballykilcavan stuff as it was quite nice (picked up a bag of cans from them at FF last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭dav09

Heineken spent approx 1BN on Lagunitas over the few years (a huge figure for any brewery) when it bought it then likely spent hundreds of millions rolling it out in Europe and worldwide in subsequent years. They also created a number of other 'craft' breweries in Ireland as they know the craft beer market share is close to 5% worldwide and want a big slice of that should it grow as expected over the next 10 years. It's the same with Molson Coors buying Franciscan Well, Bulmers with Five Lamps and Estrellla Galicia with O'Hara's, they all want a slice of the craft market and have spent massive money doing so and these are just some of the Irish breweries. I cannot in any way see them allowing any sort of craft breweries sell any of their beers at sponsored events for the good of it. If they didn't have a vested interest in it/ actively try to capture as much of the market then maybe it might make more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

lads, just shove cans down your jocks and drink that. It’s simple and effective.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Excellent advice, Brian but cans in jocks, along with carparks, weather and awnings strictly off limits until post announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wouldn't have much room down the aul jocks if you know what I mean*

*jocks would be quite tight, still carrying the aul Christmas weight

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rockterrain

Just to weigh in on the volumes point. A lot of statements are thrown out as fact in this thread but I'm not sure if this can be used to soften the core fact big festival business will invariably team up with big beverage business for financial gain. As an example Wicklow Wolf and Balikilvaran didn't seem to have any volume challenges at Forest Fest last year. Okay was only 10K vs 75K at EP. But with proper notice/planning and perhaps sharing the load across a couple of providers I don't see why these providers could step up to the mark given the chance.

Wicklow Wolf are a huge operation in fairness and have millions invested in them and have good connections so if anyone could do a 10k fest it is them, similar with 8 Degree Brewing although Pernod Ricard recently recently sold them so that might be a factor. As far as I know Rascals in Dublin lease out some of their capacity to smaller breweries, it would take a huge amount of effort and collaboration to theoretically supply the whole festival or even a big proportion, not sure if possible or not. I'm not sure if Forest Fest was free flow either but a huge difference there if so. I know a huge portion too would be happy just drinking Heineken so either way they'd only get a relatively small proportion of sales/capacity but still can't see it ever happeningo.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2021/04/19/bono-and-hozier-among-the-investors-as-craft-brewery-founded-by-laois-man-raises-over-e2-million-in-funding/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Agree hence why said might change if gets bigger

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have a solution: tights. Put your cisgender norms aside. Lash on a pair of tights and fill them with cans.

The only danger is that it opens a door in your mind you can’t close.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Baby steps. Let them serve at the Salty Dog stage or the coverband stage for a year and see how it goes. Beavertown serving at one small bar at End of the Road. Build rapport confidence and awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Everyone here needs to take a chill pill! I've told you loads of times already, the announcement is on April 19th and there are some good guitar bands, 1 I like as a headliner and 2 as sub headliners. Not long left to wait now, get excited chums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Fanirish

ha you said last week that it was suppose to be last Friday.

Things change all the time in the music industry. The little people don't understand how negotiations work and how deals are done behind the scene. They were going to announce it last Friday but have put a 2 week pause on it because an agent requested it.

That joke's running a bit thin, buddy.

What? You mean someone stating things as fact and then coming up with crap excuses when they get caught out time after time is a bit annoying? 🤣

It looks like my point has been well made. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How many times are you going to make the point?

Tiresome.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Boards.ie is getting so angry these days..... again, point well made but I'll drop it now. Fanirish has been humiliated enough.

I thought my wife was joking when she said she wanted to go to a Monkees tribute concert in Switzerland. Then I saw her face.
    Now I'm in Geneva.

We're all just sick of waiting for this announcement. I'm sticking with my GUESS of April 19th and having 3 acts I like from the main stage and sub headliners, then sort through the good stuff available elsewhere. Where's everyone else putting their money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Well all points east new head is mitski. She's playing Ireland already so it's not her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

To solve the craft beer dispute, could Heineken just scatter a good few of their own craft beer subsidiaries around the place? I've a friend who follows craft beer closely and from him it seems like it's the exception rather than the rule to find an Irish craft beer that hasn't been bought out by one of the major brands so Heineken must own a few too.

Don't think they bought out anyone legit. Cute Hoor is swill. Paulaner not much better. Moretti has its time and place I spose - reckon €8 a pint this year.

Its horses for courses on the craft beer thing really. Im actually not the biggest fan of the Ballykilcavan beer range at all if I'm honest. Also think the media campaign by the owner is a bit much. He's not gonna win hearts and minds in Fest Republic is he? Just think the story is a good example of the control-and-profit-from-everything culture around the festival. One of the things I'm most looking forward to in the next months is the berzerk partnership announcements. Dyson last year got a right old chortle.

It's a good idea, I don't think Heineken have too many craft brands particularly here. They got somewhat stung selling 'fake' craft beer/ mislabeling their products like Blasket Blonde and Beanntraí Bru (not sure if they are available here) and maybe Cute Hoor too, seemingly pretending they were independent breweries. Although there does seem to be a Brewdog link (it came out their owner had stock in Heineken, they also suspiciously distribute their sub kegs). I can tell you from dealing with their stocklists for pubs they do not have a whole lot on it in terms of craft.

You are correct a lot of the major Irish 'craft breweries' are owned by major companies. i.e. Franciscan Well is Molson Coors, 8 Degrees was Pernot Ricard until recently, Killarney apparently is too as had had a mental amount of investment (rumors of C&C), O'Hara's is Estrella Galicia, Five Lamps is C&C/Bulmers, Rye River/Macgargles (they have multiple brands) Warsteiner, there's more too. Basically almost everything you see regularly in supermarkets. The big brands have wanted a slice of the Craft market as they see it as a huge part of the future. There are also a load of different brands produced I think in Dundalk you often find them in Lidl/Aldi/Tesco apparently highly automated, I forget the actual companies name. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more but they're difficult to hide. A lot of them have aggressively targeted the craft market over the years, hence why I see it such a non runner that they would generously leave a few turn over a potential couple of million between them at EP. I know a lot of people who drink craft won't touch brews by major companies, although for me if it tastes good I'm happy, particularly if there are still manufacturing/ supporting local breweries and jobs.

Your best bet would be Lagunitas, if Heineken distributed their multiple other brews/ flavours again as well as their IPA which the did previously offer at Electric Picnic I think in 2018. They have some incredible ones even their standard IPA is excellent in fairness, it's just a pity they've mishandled the brand so poorly particularly at off license level where it seems they failed at transferring production from the US to Holland and Alken-Maes which stopped it being available at off trade level for a good while here (it seems to not be available again recently since the re-return, supply issues destroys brands). Completely mismanaged the brand imo it's an awful shame. Even before that killed off their well selling other brands in Europe like Little Sumpin Sumpin, Daytime, etc, hoping a change in leadership may reconsider as it would be great to have even more variety at the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭thebronze14

A Session IPA 3.8%-4% at this would be a gamechanger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

Yeah, at BTP a few years back the Whiplash 3.8% on draught was amazing. I've been bringing a case of it to festivals ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Love IPA's but I have no call to drink them once they go mid to mate 4%s. That 3.8% sounds the right job. You'd be grand supping on that for the day

Advertisement