Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now it's official: "Ireland needs a new right wing party".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Are you seriously discussing me in that manner!

All of what I said I have said I have said the same on the other threads but never mind some people just don't listen .

It's the posts we are replying to here not the people ..

Go on with you now and talk about somebody else behind their back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This I would consider a left leaning policy .

And agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

• Advertisement

You indulge in fantasy football league of politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ireland, a special place... even when you are poor on 40,000 a year, they take 50c in the euro over that pathetic threshold... the young here need to ditch the place as soon as possible, once they have their degree...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It doesn't need anything right wing…it needs common sense people who won't pander and facilitate to minority and minority groups who dictate how the majority live ….most normal people 'the far right' as they've become known can live and let live, but it's all getting too much …..too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

10 convictions = automatic 1 year sentence

100 convictions = automatic 10 year sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's not enough information to meaningfully characterise this proposal as right-leaning or left-leaning.

Tax reductions are universally popular, but to turn a suggested tax reduction into an actual policy you need to flesh it out a bit. What is the revenue cost of the proposed tax reduction? And how is that revenue cost going to be borne? Will you —

• Raise other taxes? If so, which taxes, and by how much?
    • Cut expenditure? If so, what expenditure, and by how much?
    • Borrow more? How much?

You can of course do a combination of any two, or even all three, of these, in varying proportions. But until you have answers to these questions, you don't really have something that can be graced with the name of "policy".

Only when you have a policy, with answers to these questions — answers that stack up, so that the cost of the proposed tax cut is covered by some combination of these three measures — can you begin to think about whether the policy is left-leaning or right-leaning. E.g. if tax cuts for middle income earners are funded by a wealth tax or an increased property tax, that looks like a left-leaning policy; if they are funded by cutting services that largely benefit lower-income earners, that looks like a right-leaning policy.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

If they scrap that hate bill and got tough on immigration I’d do the unthinkable and it’s something I’ve never done my entire life and vote for the feckers.

Harris will show what he is made of today with his cabinet moves.

Post edited by tom23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I don't expect McEntee to be replaced, Harris is an even more vacous political creature than Leo was,no way is he going to annoy the media by dumping the hate speech bill

If it turns out she remains on , we know it's more of the same from the boy in charge

Going by the papers it doesnt seem that way. Still doesn't guarantee they will try and get this Hate Bill over the line… Local and European elections can't come fast enough.

They will not scrap that bill because it is based on an EU directive. Its a done deal, already in the bag. So your out of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Any time I see a part called something like "The Freedom Party" or "Liberty Party" Or "Insert-country-name-here Party" or "Values Party" etc I automatically (Correctly) know that they are some right-wing, get-the-foreigners-out, women-hating, flat-earth, MAGA-wannabe party. Usually 90% old wealthy men at the top (The fact they want to cut taxes as well without explaining where the shortfall will come from is just coincidental). Fronted by their young middle-class mouthpiece. Their only ONLY policies are: 1) Closing our border 2) Cutting taxes 3) Anti—Woke.

They call themselves these names so that when people see that they want to bring Ireland back to the 50s they can say: "How can you be against the Ireland Party? The Liberty Party, the Freedom Party? You must hate Ireland Liberty or Freedom"

But again, "Now it's official: 'Ireland needs a new right wing party'". There are ALWAYS right wing parties popping up. And left wing. And flying spaghetti monster parties. And if any of these parties speak for the people, they will be voted in.

Let's just wait and see. We won't plan the street party just yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ireland's system is exceptionally, perhaps even unfairly set up to benefit small parties so it does surprise me that the number of loons is quite small. The Dutch have a bit of a problem on that front, eg the party wanting to cut the age of consent to 12 or the one that wants the bible to replace the constitution.

The Irexit thing never really took off because most Irish people see it as the abject stupidity it was and this was pre-Brexit. The thing with your anti-vaxxers, climate deniers and so on is that they've convinced themselves that they're more numerous than they actually by spending too much time on online echo chambers.

I can't believe people are still exhorting the debunked neoliberal/libertarian ideology as well. We tried that in the UK in 2022 and we're still feeling the hangover.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, we never had right-wing parties in Ireland - that's a novel idea. **** freedom!

Also - FYI -

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Godwin%27s%20Second%20Law

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Let's not forget the self-serving monopoly over the concept of "common sense" that the Right leaning parties claim to have. How can you argue against common sense, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, you know what they say: a fire fighter fights fires; a crime fighter fights crime; a freedom fighter fights….

You don't understand what membership of the EU entails do you - the Irish government has zero choice in whether it introduces this bill - the only choice it has is what specific clauses it contains (subject to EU review of adequacy of transposition). As I said its a done deal and there is no mileage for any Irish political party going up against the EU as they will lose and they know it.

Your the one making wild predictions not me. Adulting - your funny.

Yawn. Don't eat to much sugar chief. You might get to excited, and no need to be patronising. No, im no expert on EU law, but i guess you are?

Post edited by tom23 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A letter went in signed by all in Mountjoy and their families that they would organize behind any candidate likely to beat a FG TD if McEntee was removed from the Justice portfolio.

"I officially made myself leader…." - sounds wonderfully democartic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I suggest reducing marginal direct tax rates affecting average workers, but not reducing their effective direct tax rates.

Marginal rates matter in making decisons on how much to work, that's why I want them reduced.

But, overall, I don't think there should be any fall in receipts from income tax+USC + PRSI, as society is ageing, plus we have an infrastructure deficit.

So, collect the same, or more, revenues, but with lower marginal rates on workers earnings 40-50k.

How?

abolish the age tax credit

abolish the 18k/36k income tax exemption for people over 65

increase DWT to 30%, maybe even 40%

abolish the PRSI exemption under 352pm, every worker should pay some PRSI

increase the PRSI entry point from 38pw to 100 pw

re-introduce the PRSI tax-free amount at 100 pw.

re-introduce the PRSI ceiling at the entry point to the top income tax rate

Move from two income tax rates to four: 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%

eventually merge PRSI with USC, maintaining a very broad tax base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,490 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hey, I like flying and I like Spaghetti and I like monsters. Tell me more about this party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ireland needs a right wing party so much that almost all responses here have been about how unhinged anyone perceived to be right wing is. All while ignoring the insanity of the left.

Ireland needs to get away from the right v left mindset altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm loath to waste any more time on you since you're obviously not interested in anything except trying to make yourself look big and clever, which is an exercise in futility since you've already proved you're neither. Just for my own amusement though, feel free to point out what wild predictions I've made.

Advertisement