Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

GP's can do house calls which require a car. I know not all GP's offer this service but I know some who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't know what this has got to do with the thread or even the apartments but you rock on ;)

You are stretching the bounds of belief here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You take the DART and let the doctor drive to work...

The state of zen is thus restored to the Howth peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No… politicians are there to work to improve or implement policies to address the needs, interests and concerns of their electorate and the country as a whole - not play to the gallery of the party faithful.

I grant you, many have indeed forgotten that and believe that politics is an end unto itself and that the Party and their own interests should come before all else, that the electorate are there to serve them rather than the other way around, but that is NOT what is expected of them.

If someone is going into politics to feed their own ego and tell the clapping seals what they want to hear, well that's a problem but your post highlights nicely just how broken our current political establishment is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No it didn't find that at all. See the sections in bold. First off it "suggest" and doesn't "find" as you claim.

The paragraph in bold is the critical part.

From the conclusion:

"The results suggest that institutional landlords increase monthly rents by around 4.1 percentage points more than other
    landlords. "
    "Overall, the data and results of the paper suggest that institutional investment in existing stock
    in Ireland has had a modest direct impact on Ireland’s rental market up to 2019. While the
    additional increase in rent over other landlords are non-negligible, the existing properties they
    have purchased constitute a small portion of the total rental stock."

"Furthermore, available data
    suggests that this observed increase is likely not solely due to bargaining power, but also
    differences in landlords preferences (i.e. nominal rigidity) and the provision of higher quality
    rental services (i.e. expenditure on improving properties). This makes it difficult to draw a firm
    conclusion about what impact this investment has on consumer welfare, and the premium may
    dissipate over the medium term. Their indirect impact may be more extensive, but its presence
    is uncertain, and its impact is smaller.
    This paper also leaves open future opportunities for investigation. Further investigation of the
    mechanism underpinning institutional landlords charging a premium would allow us to better
    understand the welfare implications of this kind of investment"

An excellent example of someone taking a report and twisting the finding's to suit their narrative.

I didn't read the entire report, but from the conclusion it doesn't provide what you suggest. No shock on that to be honest. It also calls for further information. When I seen you tagged me I knew it would turn out to be bullsh*t, quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

😂 The report from the Central Bank suggests. I'd say they are not far off. They will never have 100% of the rental data. You got the point I am sure.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FG demonstrating just how out of touch and self-serving they are once again:

https://www.independent.ie/news/fine-gael-fears-demotion-of-helen-mcentee-from-justice-ministry-could-feed-far-right/a670217297.html

However, party sources say there is also concern that moving Ms McEntee could be seen as bowing to a far-right narrative that has made the Justice ­Minister a target for anti-immigration protesters.

Fine Gael previously hit out at Sinn Féin for tabling a motion of no confidence in Ms McEntee in the aftermath of the Dublin riots in November. Moving her out of the portfolio a few months later could be viewed as giving in to Sinn Féin demands.

Obsessing with the notional "far right" and not "giving in" to SF - as opposed to recognising that McEntee has failed in every aspect of the role (crime, immigration etc) and that her obsession with her "hate speech" bill is doing her and the Government more damage.

Howth has some of the best connectivity in terms of public transport, Dart, buses etc.

In terms of shops etc it also has excellent coverage, sports facilities etc. I don't know on school places but they certainly have schools in the area.

A Doctor who would want to become a GP in the area, would they really be driving around or in the GP office majority of the day? young professionals would in reality, or should be using public transport like the Dart.

It seems the suggestion from the other poster is more houses/apartments should be blocked in case it generates traffic in an area with better than most public transport. This seems to break down to one of the biggest issues in Ireland, people complaining about no houses/apartments but then they don't want any build in their area. It's getting beyond ridiculous now

Next time read the document would be the advice, or at least the conclusion which I did and gave a totally different opinion to what you claimed the report did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's amazing how FF / FG have created this large and dangerous enemy in Ireland "The Far Right"…. also known as ordinary people who don't want the useless policies Helen McEmptystare wants to implement instead of tackling actual Crime in the country.. We can't all walk around the city centre claiming it's perfectly safe when she had a Garda protection squad around her..

It's time they take the decision on whether justice in this country is all about making "Feelings a Crime" and install a Minister who wants to tackle actual crimes such as you know, making our streets safe, arresting drug dealers and putting criminals into a prison instead of handing suspended sentences to people with multiple previous convictions…

In many ways it's better to leave McEntee there floundering until the next GE. The electorate will decide where she goes. What they do with the Hate Speech bill will be interesting. I suspect they will let it sit on the shelf alongside all the reform bills.

Agree. What a gorgeous place for new apartments although changing the skyline a bit !

But unfortunately the sea views is what will sell these along with DART and access to multiple facilities.

Can you imagine how lovely it would be to able to afford one one in a location like that?

As I said elsewhere , it's more we need , to breathe life into some aging communities, but a bit of sensitivity planning wise along with a good quality build is important too .

They won't be sold but will be up for rent with €2000 a month the minimum price for a one bed with parking extra. Not sure how many can afford that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Every single bit of new housing helps to reduce the cost of housing. There is overwhelming evidence for this.

The reason they can charge so much is because we are not building anywhere near enough homes for rent or purchase. Because of exactly the type of complaints that you are putting forth. I'm not sure the stress on GP surgeries across Dublin is lessened by adding in homelessness to the mix.

Massively high ..but I know people already paying that much in less desirable locations.

Those that can afford will and it will free up somewhere else for someone.

The Supreme Leader of Ireland has shuffled the deck chairs of power and decided that Helen McEmptystare will remain in the Justice chair…

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/helen-mcentee-expected-to-remain-justice-minister-but-simon-harris-has-to-make-a-call-between-two-others-in-reshuffle/a234128390.html

Yeap, no surprise to see that Harris doesn't have the courage to bring in real change and save his own party's fortunes by getting rid of an unpopular minister…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭well24

darts, buses whats the etc for :) is their something else Im missing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Pitter, patter - talk of a salesman, that's our new leader. Here to sell us another new version of FG.

But we all recognise a salesman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Surely getting rid of an unpopular minister is a populist move that requires no courage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Well according to a source in the indo Harris is 'wary' of McEntee. So is it a case keep your enemies close… who knows. It beggars belief she has managed to last the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭conorhal

That depends entirely on what requires courage. Clearly it's the courage to come into conflict with fellow party members, the NGO sector and the Irish Times OP ED column that will delcare he's 'pandering to Nazis', that is required in this case, we know full well Harris is too stupid to fear the electorates response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

There is literally no politician anywhere in Western democracy who isn't performing for their "clapping seals" to some extent, it's only the number of seals that differs. For every politician who talks about 'peoplekind' for some clapping seals on the Left, there is another finding every wrong every foreigner has ever committed for some clapping seals on the Right.

Maintenance of core support at an ideological level is the nucleus of any political career. The more difficult part is how you then build the consensus required to draw in votes from a broader range of people. Mainstream parties, tend to be those who actually develop policies that are capable of reaching beyond their ideological core in a way which involves compromise, frustration of certain ideological principles — but also a more representative political structure.

That's part of the reason why the Right in Ireland remain disjointed, disorganised and unpopular. Compromise and the frustration of ideological principles are the very things they balk at — so they almost automatically isolate themselves, even from each other when one person or group on the Right inevitably fails the patriotic, anti-woke purity test of another. Sometimes it might be worth asking yourself if it's their politics which are broken, and not the politics of the State generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Roads have been closed off around Leinster House as Simon Harris prepares to be voted in as the new Taoiseach later today.Motorists who tried to travel through the city centre this morning are reporting sitting in their cars for more than an hour, with some abandoning their cars and completing their journey on foot.

Merrion Sq West, Kildare St and Molesworth St are closed to traffic, and Dublin City Council is advising motorists to use other routes if possible, and to expect delays to Merrion Sq Nth, Merrion St Lr., Lincoln Place, Westland Row, Lombard St, Townsend St, Fleet St.

A hearing at the Workplace Relations Commission is delayed this morning as several witnesses were delayed getting to the commission’s offices in Ballsbridge.

Traffic is backed up all the way up Gardiner Street on the city’s northside, with a similar situation on most approach routes, and knock-on effects on bus services.

Luas services are also operating with delays."

Why does all this have to happen can someone explain to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

They were spooked by the shadow of the Far Right Bogeyman…. ;)

• Advertisement

They will have that company, probably one of Dennis O'Brien's bring in the massive steel barriers to block off the streets around Leinster house, as well as dozens of additional Gardai brought in on overtime and from all over the country with the public order unit and the ARU surrounding the Kildare street/Merrion square area…

And for what? Absolutely Nothing!

Advertisement