Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow International Airport

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gossamerfabric

disagree…multiple Buses always ready to go and none of the bureaucracy I personally experienced with Dublin Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes…we might allow you on this one, we might not, please stand around like a tool for 10 minutes while we get our sh!t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Whats this about? how do the scammers get the money? do they fundraise or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

still a huge ask and farmers hate selling land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DX now have a bus Airport-City Centre every 15 minutes most of the day. There's also the slower, but still not 50 mins, Aircoach 700 which has 2-4 an hour depending on the day of the week. So there's also a bus always ready to go - just different operators; just as it is at at Bergamo

I assure you it is not. I arrived at the central station and before heading off to sightsee I took snapshots of all the timetables for the bus route operators so that I could find the one which would be departing at the time I wanted…that gave me granularity much better than 15 minutes and with a huge supply of passenger seats in total so I didn't have to worry about not being allowed on to the bus at the time of presenting myself or perhaps 15 to 30 minutes later. I chose the one departing at the time I arrived back at the bus station after sightseeing. I was allowed on the bus, not kept waiting. The experience was much less stressful than waiting for the one bus from the one provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most of the out-of-the-way airports which Ryanair use only exist because of the Cold War.

Not too difficult to set up an airport on the cheap if the USAF already helpfully bought all the land and built a nice big runway and apron for you.

Nobody in their right mind would do such a project from scratch (Ciudad Real's purpose was probably more about backhanders than flights).

This Arklow project crayon drawing is just daft beyond belief.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Keep in mind Bergamo city is about the size of Cork City, but it's a province of 1 million people, but is also the gateway to the Alps, lake Como, etc. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site.

So while yes people use it to get to Milan, many are also heading to Bergamo itself (like you would at Cork Airport) or heading north to the Alps.

I don't think it is a good example.

BTW Bergamo is a lovely city, I highly recommend it and prefer it to Milan.

It is an example of an airport in a highly populated province/conurbation. Hahn is not, Athlone International Airport is not.

If to model on Bergamo the airport needs to be sited somewhere with higher population densities e.g. east/south east of Irland. The people proposing these don't care about long term viability and just looking for fools and their easily separated money such as pension companies and Arabs with too much money. If they can get a local government to finance partially so much the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Agreed, the Citta Alta is a hidden gem 20 minutes from the airport. Much nicer than Cork too! 😉

Another reason why this makes no sense is that it would be contrary to the objectives of the National Planning Framework to divert development to the 2nd (Cork), 3rd (Limerick), 4th (Galway) & 5th (Waterford) cities of the state as a counter-balance to the continued overdevelopment of the 1st (Dublin). The Greater Dublin region has been spreading out over Leinster for decades unplanned and unchecked while the regional cities have had anaemic growth till recently.

Not sure Arklow currently gets included in the Greater Dublin Region for statistical purposes or not but siting a 2nd International airport there to service Dublin would certainly extend that notional boundary contrary to the NPF.

going to Bergamo again after flying through Bergamo and overnighting a few weeks ago.

Cheap flight and cheap car hire to see the lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

Perfect underused airport down the road at Shannon. Well under 3 hours for the Dub-a-las.

No need for another airport in this big little country of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is already a proposal to stop the Rosslare Dublin train at Bray or Greystones and get everyone to complete their journey on the dart. As in all trains from Rosslare/Wexford/Arkow would end in Bray. The reason for this is the daily Connelly to Bray and on to Rosslare train causes havock to dart passengers every morning and evening as darts need to be cleared from the tracks to allow a non dart to skip stations.

There is only a single train line from Bray all the way south meaning regular bi directional trains to the new airport would need to stop at a 2 track station or siding to allow a train in the other direction to pass. In reality trains won't wait for flights and if it existed busses would be main mode of getting there by public transport and a massive car park. Even by train it's a long slow way along the dart line into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Irish Rail will be frantically writing letters to oppose this. It might mean them upgrading the Rosslare line rather than terminating it as is their wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's how Monsignor Horan got as far as he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

Why dont Ryanair use Shannon more? Costs, too far from Dublin, not their Dublin base so not worth the change? Ideally Ryanair would buy a % share or 100% share in an existing airport and shift some of the traffic there.

How can we get Ryanair to use the likes of Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭thomil

How can we get Ryanair to use the likes of Shannon?

Short answer: You don't.

Long answer: You present them a business case that demonstrates that they'll be able to operate from Shannon at a profit. Same as for any other airline. They're businesses, not charities. If there's a profit to be made, and it fits into their business model and they have the requisite capacity, they'll serve a destination.

That's what makes all these flights of fancy about getting more airlines to use Shannon or Cork, or Belfast, or Ballyarsebackwards Regional Airport so frustrating. You can't just tell an airline to go fly there anymore, that's not how things work. Canada tried it with Montreal Mirabel, and that ended up being a colossal train wreck. London has been trying for decades got get more flights to use any airport but LHR, and yet that airport is still choked with traffic. Forcing airlines to Shannon worked when the airport was needed as a refueling or technical stop, but those times are long gone. These days, it's all. About. The. Money!

As for Arklow International, yeah right. The only good thing that'll come out of this is a session of Airport CEO when I boot up Steam tonight.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

The days of saying a decade of the rosary and it getting you stuff is over.

Because they make more money elsewhere

They will never buy an airport as they would not want to be forced to pay for the running of an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Forget about a airport! There is obviously something under or in that land that we don't know about.

When bought planning will be refused, but a major gold field or oil field (insert your own guess) will be suddenly discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@thomil Montreal Mirabel had its legs cut from under it by the local government, Olympic debts, and a massive shift in Canada's centre of gravity toward Ontario. The airlines actually liked it. A planned rail line directly into the city was canned, and even the road link was poor. The government unwittingly set it up to fail by routing international flights to Mirabel, but keeping domestic ones at Dorval.. that made Montreal the worst possible entry point into Canada, and so foreign visitors shifted to other airports where transfers to your final destination didn't involve an hour in a bus.

Passengers actually loved the new airport, except for the pain in the arse of actually getting there, and the airlines loved the new airport operationally. Making Mirabel work would have meant finally closing Dorval, but that would have meant spending billions on the road and rail that had been promised back in 1974, so the cheap option won, and Montreal still has a crappy airport, and visitors to Canada still choose to enter via Toronto instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The ideal spot for a new aitport would be near Clane in my opnion.

Build a motorway that connects the N4 and N7 that would run by the airport. It would be easily accessible by motorway for a huge chunk of the population of the country and the greater Dublin area too.

You are also quite close to an existing railway line so a direct route to Heuston would be manageable.

There isn't going to be a second airport for Dublin at any location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

indeed..

The Wicklow gold rush of 1795 kicked off not far from here….

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Someone is really taking the píss with those artist's impressions.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I am tempted to close this thread as there is a fact-free zone surrounding Arklow International Airport since this thread started.

If and when some facts emerge, well it can re-open.

If any poster disagrees, PM me. If I hear nothing in the next few days, I will close it.

Advertisement