Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yet leader of the country

“Real life work experience “? 😂😂

Go on explain for the fun of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are two problems with Irish polling which currently limit their usefulness. Irish politics is in a particular state of flux and there is deep anger in parts of the country at the current government. In the referendum some boxes were over 90% no - well beyond the average. This was not captured by polling in the run up to the vote, and doesn't appear to be properly captured by polling currently.

The other issue is that Irish polling completely discounts the don't knows. The question seems to be put as: "if you must choose" or the don't know percentage is excluded. While don't knows are nothing new, the way they might break in a general election is unpredictable this time around in my view. This is down to emerging parties - who do not currently have candidates so will not feature in a poll. I am quite confident that Independent Ireland and the Farmers Alliance will take votes from FG primarily in rural constituencies, in election winning quantities.

The last issue is migration. The new and emerging parties are taking a harder line on this issue compared to FG and it's resonating.

I think it's quite possible that FG lose all their EU parliament members - since the constituencies are so big they turn into more of a ballot on the party direction over the individuals themselves, some notable independents excepted.

They will also lose a load of councillors too but the attrition might not be as bad due to local and personality factors.

We may well end up with a Dáil stuffed with independents and semi independents which will make the country ungovernable. That would be quite the legacy for FF, FG and the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Helen Mcentee hasn't been sacked. Amazing."

The above post says it all. Whatever lack of faith I have in this is is destroyed by his keeping a failure that is McEntee in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Samson1

I think the point is, this Government is starting to look like the last days of the Fianna Fail govt in 2011, stumbling from one crisis to another, resignations after the next G.E. being announced every week. The point is - if they are wiped out in the Local Elections / Europeans, they will no longer have any legitimacy and a General Election will be inevitable.

Any hope of a Harris "bounce", and distancing himself from Leo, disappeared today when McEntee put it up to him publicly at the weekend and he folded. The Harris "bounce" collapsed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

probably weighed it up and just felt that a certain cohort wouldn’t appreciate a young, up and coming (supposedly) female politician like McEntee getting thrown under the bus…. He’d rather throw Irish citizens under the bus by keeping her in the cabinet…. Absolutely bizarre, she’s made a right dogs dinner of her job, absolutely hopeless in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Shan Doras

The Next General election will be on either Thr20, Fri21 or Sat22 of March next year. Simon Harris will want to have his day in the white house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's beyond pathetic that politicians see meeting whoever the US President is as the highlight of their lives.

It's also the case that no one in Ireland gives a toss about this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Time will quickly tell whether this hate speech legislation is a priority for Harris too. Early indicators are not good on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Wow another sweeping statement in a thread, not a good track record on been right do we?

Trying to claim "no one in Ireland gives a toss", when did you start speaking for the population of Ireland?

If the Taoiseach didn't go, you would be whinging that he isn't going. That's the job of someone people, just whinge about anything and everything with nothing behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Realistically it will take a while to negotiate a new coalition and programme for government so the election doesn't need to be that late for Harris to have his day in Washington. He will be Taoiseach until a new one is nominated by the Dail. I also think the election will be earlier due to any potential by-elections arising from current TDs winning seats in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FF will be delighted that Harris has become the face of the housing crisis now with his 250,000 over 5 years PR stunt. Darragh O'Brien will keep the head down now until the election and let Harris field questions on the housing "plan". They already have Donnelly in hiding over at Health and their other portfolios are less toxic to the electorate.

The more I think about it, the more I can see that FG are very damaged with Leo jumping ship before the elections. The optics are terrible and Harris is not the man to lead you into an election.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Apparently Frances Fitzgerald is the reason that McEntee is still in Justice...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/how-frances-fitzgerald-and-a-fear-of-the-civil-service-saved-helen-mcentee-her-job/a2056415841.html

But the Irish Independent can also reveal details of the intense lobbying behind the scenes that influenced Mr Harris’s choices over recent days.

Former tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald is said to have been instrumental in saving Justice Minister Helen McEntee from demotion.

As for Harris himself. My view of him remains the same as it was when he first came to prominence - someone acting in the role but with nothing to back it up. I still remember the first time I saw him on TV. He looked like he'd borrowed his older brother's suit for the day. Completely uninspiring.

Despite the predictable protests of some here, he's failed in every brief he's had and is far more concerned with social media grandstanding and optics than results - although in that sense I suppose he's actually the perfect person to replace Leo.

He's a caretaker Taoiseach. Only in the role because of internal party politics and many senior figures stepping back. It'll be hard to see how he'll be taken seriously, particularly abroad!

It would be nice to be proven wrong, but somehow I doubt he's up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's even more pathetic that people think that that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,733 ✭✭✭✭zell12

MickeyD is like 'oh get a room you two'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭prunudo

i presume Fitzgerald would have been in government with her father. Are personal feelings and connections clouding her judgement I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id say her judgement is based on connections and personal feelings like most politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 24,733 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Shane McEntee was TD 2005-2012. McEntee died by suicide 2012. McEntee had been feeling under pressure because of criticism of a number of Government budgetary decisions https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/political-world-is-rocked-by-tragic-death-of-junior-minister/28950733.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think Harris's strengths insofar as he has them are his marketing and sales skills. He has the talk and the right phrases and knows how to string them together. But when you sit back and listen, you quickly realise there's little of real substance there. Given his track record in health, you'd wonder how on earth he's managed to persuade others than he can organise the whole shebang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I wonder will the new cabinet appointees like O'Donovan be questioned closely on their political judgement. They were very noticeably at the forefront of pushing the two recently heavily defeated referendum votes. Harris really should have gone for others that were well out of that limelight. They deserve to be crucified for their ill thought out waste of public monies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I probably should have said last seat. In 2020 FG picked up a lot of these. Next time around they may not and they may end up without TDs in a lot of areas.

I find it hard to see them getting less than 30 but if Ivan Yates is predicting less I wouldn't dismiss it as him not allowing for the increase in TDs. Of course he may have made the predictions quite some time ago prior to the redraw.

SF dropping in the polls will not directly help FF or FG (voters giving them number 1) but it may get them the final seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What is this fear of the Civil Service about? What would they have done if McEntee was removed? Is it that those in the civil service like McEntee because she is easily led and easy to control and putting someone new in would take that control away?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭chrisd2019

Should I book a day off to mind the kids as the school will be closed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ok, fair enough. I wonder if they will adapt their strategy to run fewer candidates.

I have seen a number of seat projections with different methodologies, and while acknowledging the difficulty of translating polls to seats in Ireland, none of them come out less than 35. I can imagine some volatility around that but under 30 just seems a step too far for me. People can certainly reject polls if they want, and I understand the sentiment, but while the "everybody hates the government" narrative is strong, they still poll around 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭acceletor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I see Harris has added that hes the prime rib roast minister on twitter for anyone who doesn't know what the teashock is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was O'Donovan's sting operation that revealed Harris was the cabinet leak over the dodgy Zappone appointment. He leaked it to smear Coveney and it worked. Harris of course denied it but he never raised the complaint that he threatened so meakly.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/junior-fine-gael-minister-odonovan-boasted-about-cabinet-sting-operation/40859260.html

Mr Harris said Mr Carthy’s RTÉ interview was “quite extraordinary” and that he was “going to consider very strongly” a complaint to the Dáil Committee on Procedure following the remarks.

Obviously Harris didn't raise a complaint because it was true.

😂 this spoofer is now Taoiseach…New Politics?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Do you ever disagree with anything I say and offer a counter argument. Or just rant away that you don't like my posts.

• Advertisement

Apart from a few journalists, who in their right mind would care if our Taoiseach gives a bowl of shamrock to the sitting US president.

Does it matter to anyone here?

Advertisement