Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think the Romans are a better judge of time personally

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We are due a dry month very soon. It has been relatively wet since July 2023 (9 months) but we had 3 incredibly dry months in the first half of 2023 (February, May and June) so I expect we will get a couple of very dry months soon. In fact Dublin also had a very dry January 2023. I think May and June will be dry again this year.

Mace Head is usually very wet but it highlights how dry Feb, May and June were last year. The Corrib lake levels were extremely low last June.

Feb 2023 = 35mm (98mm average)

May 2023 = 30mm (81mm average)

June 2023 = 56mm (82mm average)

Actually November 2023 was also very dry. 79mm against an LTA of 150mm.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

They believed the world was flat. Not great judges on that score lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Unfortunately I think you're right. I wouldn't be as into environmental issues as you appear to be, but I've been reading up on this whole marine heatwave in the north Atlantic phenomenon and it doesn't give much reason for optimism. In a normal weather environment you'd say the rain has to stop soon, we're due a dry spell, it's just been a very wet year etc etc, but we're not in a normal weather environment and if this really is the much dreaded climate change it's having a very adverse effect on our Irish weather which was never great. You'd have to be worried. Going by recent trends we probably will get a dry spell and probably a hot heat wave, no predicting when, and most likely followed by another period of deluges.

Like I say, I'm no expert in this area and I would dearly love to be wrong, but nobody can deny that our weather for the past 24 months or so has been abnormal, and that's allowing for our normally poor weather standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I'm 100% on the same train of thought as you guys. As you say acequion ,Drought conditions will probably occur at some stage in the coming months too. Hard to believe now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Almost a completely dry day here in Dublin..did get a few spits of rain but nothing compared to the last few weeks...feels very cold though. Only thing keeping me going is that Summer will be kicking in shortly...hopefully things improve dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

lashing rain and Bitterly cold this morning in the north east you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s mid January not mid April

Bitterly cold??? 8c here in Meath wouldn't call that bitter. Milder air coming in shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Incorrect. The Greeks had established it was round centuries before the Roman Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

One rough morning in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Nice day yesterday but rain overnight and misty morning. One step forward 2 steps back in terms of the ground drying out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Feels like for the last 12 months it’s been constant rain, didn’t even really enjoy summer 2023 that much because of it. It’s as if we’re permanently stuck in an El Niño cycle. I miss the La Niña weather during Lockdown period of 2020-2022, I remember I did a lot of outdoor hiking and dining outdoors was enjoyable because there was very little rain.

Its like being in the film Bladerunner the last many months. Constant rain. Likely to head back to La Niña later this yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Opened the door this morning to take the dogs on their routine walk. The dogs took one look at the lashing rain, looked at me, and went 'Nah, not going to happen'

Horrid morning. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Imagine having to covid que outside the supermarket and being stuck inside the house during this onslaught of a year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its getting very depressing now,

Due for my first round of golf in a year on Saturday in Trim ,

What you reckon any luck of getting some dry weather Saturday or even leading into Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It’s stopped raining in enniscorthy but still incredibly gray.
    The ground is saturated and I’ve been talking to locals that have crops in the field they can’t get to or ground they can do nothing with.
    Cattle can’t get out to the abundant grass and fodder is getting low in some places.
    The whole way down from south Dublin this morning it hammered rain.

Is this because of El Niño or La Niña or is this what we have to “look forward to” for the foreseeable ?

Also is there any sign of some high pressure bringing warm weather or even some windy warm dry weather for a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

RIght well at least it's warm out now in Dublin. Was able to use the bike with no gloves and just a hoodie. I'll take all the wins I can rn!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

With all the talks of ENSO popping up in this thread, thought this was very interesting. It's based on England mean temperature and England & Wales precipitation data but still relevant here.

Not a single warm and dry summer has coincided with El Niño. A lot of La Niña summers tended to be on the cooler, unsettled side but occasionally some classics crop up and these generally also tended to coincide with second or triple dip La Niñas where La Niña had been persistent for at least 2 years+ like 2022, 1975 and 1955.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Awful day here in East Galway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another rotten day here in Meath, again it's light drizzle and mist that soaks you and plenty of waterlogged countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

now it’s 16 degrees dry and no wind some change from this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

On the ferry from Athens to Naxos, the weather is stunning. It was 25C in Athens and sunny, obviously cooler out at sea but the breeze is lovely. I can't believe how long the rubbish in Ireland has gone on for, hopefully it picks up very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

great pics Artane love Greece will be back out in the summer. As you mention rubbish it always goes on longer in Ireland than anywhere else just look at Covid ffs! Full stadiums in Europe and we couldn’t leave our counties. Anyway way off topic. Sorry mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Wind in East Galway is very strong this past hour , far worse conditions than even this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

I saw a video recently of the Middle Eastern countries engaging in cloud seeding to help them generate rain. Is the opposite possible here? Could we please send out a few planes to get the rain to fall over the Atlantic and let the land dry out…

Unserious question…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Met Eireann pretty bullish on things improving next week

"Further outlook: There are indications that there'll be some much needed drier weather during next week, with high pressure expected to play a more dominant role."

Advertisement