Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You are obviously another that believes people are supporting Hamas. They're supporting innocent people. You can't bomb the life out of innocents to get the guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

4 that we know of. Who knows how many didn't make the news, and how many were not caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I've seen this journalist lady pop up a bit in interviews lately. She seems very impressive and knows her stuff.

The most relevant bits start from about 40 minutes in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Must be tiring seeing the world in such bigoted and sectarian framing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That’s exactly what happened in the Second World War.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Care to summarize? She is an ex-employee of Russia Today, so I think some skepticism is due anything she states. Especially as she's a 9/11 'truther' as well. Lots of criticism of her politics on her wikipedia page, too. No journalism degree, but some employment in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hamas leadership in Qatar are absolutely loving the IDF bombardments and genocides in Gaza. If anyone is doing Hamas' work, it's the Likud party.

Hamas believe in martyrdom. They believe in dying for their cause. And every single innocent civillian murdered by the IDF is another Martyr that they can use to further their ideology and gain international support amongst other muslims, and while not gaining direct support from western countries, they benefit from any collapse in support for Israel and zionism globally

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Advertisement

And after the 2nd world war, the world came together and created the Geneva conventions so that that kind of brutal murderous war of attrition would never be tolerated again

No, it's not, observing reality is not tiring as it doesn't require any effort, it's all there in the open, plain to see.

Surely it also reminds you of all the lies perpetrated against Israel, including the biggest one, that they are engaged in genocide.

Well, not really sure if you are trolling or just living in oblivious ignorance, but I'll place slightly more weight on the 1000+ UK ex Supreme Court Justices, barristers, lawyers and legal academics who don't quite have your legal training or information and therefore don't have the luxury of having your insights into the matter

https://lawyersletter.uk/

https://lawyersletter.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Gaza-letter-FIN-3-April.pdf

Yes, maybe read the letter yourself and find out that not even they are claiming that genocide is happening. Plausible risk doesn't mean it's happening, saying that is a huge leap and a libelous and irresponsible lie.

Perhaps those eejits maybe just don't have access to the same Facebook groups as you and therefore don't know the facts and legal principles as well as you do?

The matter is before a Court (the ICJ). Even with your deep legal expertise, you appear to have forgotten that it is up to that Court to determine the Genocide. Judges and barristers cannot just come out and issue informal judgments on it. They have to be professional. There is a reason why the signatories are restricted to retired members of the judiciary. Because serving ones would not be able to comment on the matter in any way, shape or form. The ICJ will issue the determination. Up until that point they can only use the words "plausible genocide" as that is what that court has already held

But you're not looking at it 'in the open'

You're looking at it through filters. There are lots of very biased and motivated sources that show you the world through certain points of view that are deliberately framing the narrative in favour of one perspective and in opposition to others.

There are almost 2 billion muslims in the world. The vast majority of them are decent ordinary people with exactly the same kinds of virtues and flaws as christians, buddhists, atheists etc.

If you view the world through a prism that projects everything as either pro-western and anti-western, and constantly talks about the virtues of 'western democracy' vs the violence and repression of other cultures that are portrayed as 'less developed'…

Most people just want to live normal, peaceful, satisfying lives surrounded by their own friends and family and with enough food, shelter and comforts to be able to be comfortable and secure.

That's the same everywhere in the world. And everywhere in the world, there are some people who are more liberal, and some who are more 'conservative' and some who are more permissive and others who are intolerant, some who are peaceful, and others who want to impose their view on others….

People are, for all practical purposes, genetically homogeneous everywhere in the world. We are all the same other than some superficial differences.

If you think someone is lesser or better than anyone else just because they were born somewhere, or have a family background different to your own, then you are not 'observing reality' you are pre-judging people and this is a filter you are placing in front of your observations that distorts your view of reality.

This is not to say that environmental conditions do not cause people to behave differently in different situations. If you take any random group of people and place them into the middle of a brutal war and give them the role of either participants, or civilians, then they will behave very differently to how they would under peaceful conditions. If you take someone and make them extremely insecure, due to poverty or political upheaval, then they will act and behave differently to people in diametrically different circumstances.

This is why the idea of 'become the change you want to see' is so important. If you want people to be kinder and more social and more tolerant, then you should support the fostering of those conditions in your life. If you oppose fundamentalism and intolerance, then it is wrong to oppose that by becoming fundamentalist and intolerant yourself.

you appear to have forgotten that it is up to that Court to determine the Genocide

Is it me really? I might not be a lawyer but I still know that they were not even charged, yet alone found guilty of. Even the ICJ didn't find this so called "plausible genocide" plausible enough to rule for a immediate ceasefire. So until ICJ rules that is a genocide common sense and decency should dictate that we don't throw such accusations so lightly, that is, if there is one in the first place.

They are very clearly engaging in genocide.

People returning to their homes, if they're lucky enough that their house wasn't bombed already, are finding them burnt out from the inside. The IDF went house to house and destroyed homes in Gaza, empty houses being burnt to the ground so that there is no where for the refugees to return to after the war.

The IDF are dedicating military resources to going through residential areas, demolishing apartment blocks, burning out houses, destroying farms and drinking water.

They are doing this, for no other reason, except to make it as difficult as possible for the population of Gaza to return to their homes.

When the homes are vacated, what do you think will happen to them after the war.

If you don't believe that the plan is for 'settlers' to take over that land, then you are extremely naïve

Look, you are merely showing your ignorance on this. Such a determination could only be made after a full trial on the matter. That will take years. There is no other alternative. That is the reason why they have these preliminary rulings.

• Advertisement

Yes, then let's wait years until we accuse Israel of genocide - serious accusations require serious investigations. Until then the preliminary rule doesn't say it is happening, so you are the one who's ignorant of the actual findings of the court.

Israel doesn't want Gaza, they left it voluntarily. They just won't stand rockets and terrorists coming out of it anymore.

Yes, I am biased by my values and I judge everyone by those values, that much is true. I'm not judging those 2 billions as a whole or every one of them at the individual level, but I'm judging their cultures and their values and what kind of countries they were able to build, how are they contributing to the progress of humanity, and even how would the world look like if they were to be in charge.

The preliminary ruling could not say it is happening. No more than a bail application determination could find an accused guilty.

The preliminary ruling could have dismissed the claim though. And would have done so without prima facie evidence to the contrary.

Do you understand the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I pretty much agree. I can't understand why Netanyahu was still in power on Oct 8th, never mind still in power today.

But I'd really like to know what you think Israel should have done on Oct 8th and on, other than to try to remove Hamas from power? And, if you're a military bod, which I'm not, maybe how they could have prosecuted a military intervention better than they did (the risk of putting IDF soldiers, who are mostly conscripts, in danger will need to be taken into account in any answer)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Israel doesn't want Gaza, they left it voluntarily.

Just woke up one morning, the corn flakes hit just right and they said out of the goodness of our hearts were leaving?

No. You’re twisting reality to suit a fiction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_disengagement_from_Gaza

Israel/Likud have a stated objective of having a Jewish controlled state over all the disputed territories.

"The right of the Jewish people to the land of Israel is eternal and indisputable… therefore, Judea and Samaria will not be handed to any foreign administration; between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty. —Likud Party Platform, 1977"

And that includes Gaza.

The fact that they allowed Gaza to remain Palestinian before does not mean that they ever intended that to be their ultimate solution.

They are thinking in the long term, and it has stages. One of them was splitting Palestine into two separate parts, the West Bank and Gaza, another step is to push the people in Gaza into a smaller and smaller region on the border of Gaza, and at first they may call the empty space a 'buffer' zone, but it will very quickly become settler land

They will keep the Gazan population corralled in the refugee camps in Rafah for as long as it suits them, and then the 'negotiated settlement' will eventually involve those people being relocated somewhere else (or if the people in those camps refuse to accept that fate, they might just be wiped out entirely, any significant acts of resistance or terrorism originating from the refugee camps could be used as pretext for that)

You'd rather that the genocide happens first, and then everyone wrings their hands about it afterwards?

When Israel pre-emptively attacked their neighbours in 1967, did you think they should have waited for Iran to attack them first or was a plausible risk enough for them to take action?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It's hard to understand what the pro Israel supporters actually support here. Do they believe that if enough civilians are bombed or starved in Gaza that Hamas will just disappear? If the killing of aid workers has shown anything its that the IDF don't know what they are doing so I think any figures quoted by them for the amount of Hamas fighters they have killed mustnt be credible. I would say there is a good chance Israel will eventually disengage with Hamas still in place and Gaza in ruins.

It disappointing on this day and age that people still support such cruelty.

• Advertisement

I would dispute that Israel does not know what it is doing vis-a-vis killing aid workers and journalists. It appears to be a deliberate part of their strategy to target such individuals

Advertisement