Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭antimatterx

it's some constituency tbh. Very high profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I reckon both are gone. Jerry Buttimer will fancy his chances for a seat in Coveney's place. Can't see there being a 2nd FG seat, you'd imagine 2 SF (unless they have a bad day and it could be 1 SF, 1 lefty liberal from Lab, SocDem or Green), 2 FF and a FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Tippman24

A bit like the Presadium of the Soviet Union. Shut up to xnxx and do as you are told, otherwise you will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Coveney is no great loss. I accept he did well on Brexit. A lot of that is down to the fabulous work by the civil service on it, from an early time. Coveney started the privatisation of Irish water lark. He also told Irish dairy farmers, expand, expand, and they will be no consequences. He did this, not for farmers benefit, but the large processors. the present Minister is having to deal with the environmental consequences. Coveney was always on the side of big private money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

He was my favourite FG politician. Maybe a close run with Paschal. Would have preferred if he got the top job for 4/5 years, then to be followed by Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was waiting for that new party to make a play for the immigration vote. They haven't said much about it but signing up those two clearly shows that that's going to be their direction of travel. Yes, I suspect it will be very fruitful for them. They'll get votes from people who are concerned about migration numbers but would be unwilling to vote for the outright fascist parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What Clifford of course doesn't mention or delve into in this bizarre excuse, is that the likes of Haughey may have thought that if Gene Kerrigan was working for his government he would not be probing his government or him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Seeing Varadkar with his arm in a sling, reminded me of Haughey, different reason.

• Advertisement

Leo Varadkar is officially resigned as Taoiseach now.
    A leader who arrived on a huge wave of goodwill and optimism.
    Done some good things but ultimately will be remembered for his distinct lack of empathy and divisive manner. I think he did more harm than good generally and particularly to FG.

Found him a cold man when I met him but wish him well in life outside of politics if that is where he is going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Done some good things but ultimately will be remembered for his distinct lack of empathy and divisive manner. I think he did more harm than good generally and particularly to FG.

I don't think anyone can ever truly know what someone will be remembered for contemporaneously.

Never stopped people trying to predict though. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sure isn't Coveneys brother a director at Green core!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: below standard post (and 1 reply) deleted. @REDBULL68 please read the charter before posting in the Politics forum

Simon Harris about to enter a small group of people, who have led this country since independence.

He becomes #16:

FG members of outgoing cabinet:

• Varadkar - Taoiseach
    • Coveney - Enterprise Trade & Employment
    • Donohue - Public Expenditure
    • Humphries - Social Protection / Rural Development
    • Harris - Higher Education
    • McEntee - Justice

Varadkar and Coveney are gone, which free up 2 slots. It sounds like Peter Burke is definitely in with a few possibilities for the second slot.

Presumably Humphries and Donohue are staying in their current roles

Harris takes Varadkar's spot

McEntee may or may not be moved to a different position. If she is moved that means, by the process of elimination that one of the new people get Justice.

So McEntee gets moved to one of Enterprise or Higher Education and the other newbie gets the other one.

There'll have to be some promotions from the back benches as well to the junior ranks to cover the 2 people promoted to senior positions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can't see a "newbie" getting Justice if there's a change there - Maybe Humphreys and McEntee swap with the newbie getting Higher Education?

Yup turns out McEntee is staying put along with the the other FG ministers who were staying.

Patrick O'Donovan gets Harris's old job.

Peter Burke gets Coveney's position.

• Advertisement

Peter Burke to Enterprise

Patrick O’Donovan to Higher Education

Not so much moving the deck chairs as just plumping the cushions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Missed opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AMTE_21

I think he was right, there’s not much time left for this Government, they might as well get on with the job they were doing and try to get some results.

I wish Leo well, and think overall he did a good job. I’ll never forget that day, I was in work, and he was in Washington and announced the lockdown. Goosebumps all round. He said that day, “We will prevail” and overall, we did. Hope he enjoys the rest of his life. I’m not FG, but fair is fair and if you think someone is doing a good job, it should be acknowledged, regardless.

Promotions for 3 FG backbenchers today to the junior minister ranks:

• Alan Dillon (Mayo) - Housing
    • Emer Higgins (Dublin MidWest) - Enterprise
    • Colm Burke (Cork North Central) - Health

There was also some internal movement of existing junior ministers with Neil Richmond (Dublin Rathdown), Kieran O'Donnell (Limerick City) and Jennifer Carroll McNeill (Dún Laoghaire) all getting more high profile positions.

Anyone else surprised Richmond didn't get a higher elevation? I thought he would have been above Carroll-O'Neill in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A number of people online pointed out that Mary Lou went into full on attack mode and didn't have the decency to make any positive comments toward Leo.

Kind of says it all and a warning for any party that might be thinking of going into coalition with SF.

Maybe next time the speech writers for Mary Lou might think of that if she doesn't have the cop on to do it herself

That new Independent Ireland party started by the 3 rural TDs is really racking up the candidates for the council elections. Their twitter account is announcing them every day now. Interestingly it doesn't link to any of their twitter accounts. I don't know if any of them are on twitter but if they are then the party's not making it too easy for people to have a look at their old tweets.

I actually searched for 5 or 6 of them and none of them appear to be on twitter - even the sitting councilors. That seems unusual. Either they all deleted their accounts or this is a self selecting group who tend to shun social media.

The only exception is the ex-RTE correspondent but he's not running for a council seat.

Great start by Harris.
    Disrespects everyone who turned up to work by not showing up in the Dail.
    Maybe two or three weeks in, but on the first day?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no decency in MLMD, never has, never will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think Harris did well today. Showed the opposition that he won't be playing by their playbook. MLMD looked more than a little foolish querying what he was doing, when he was able to list off a long list of stuff.

Just because she has nothing more to do than sit around the Dail.

Advertisement