Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rugby Weekly Extra have a French journalist that covers La Rochelle on today's podcast.

Interestingly he thinks they're playing quite poorly, relying on maybe 20 minutes of good play per game to get them through. He speculates that their mentality isn't what it was. They had poor patches across the last few seasons and won the Champions Cup anyway. But this season the issues are more pronounced.

Although, I disagree with their supposition that La Rochelle are underdogs for this game. They're double European Champions that have won 3 of the last 4 games between the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Casey and Murray had a right love in on ROG, quelle surprise.

Theres nothing wrong with that. He's an Irishman, from their home province, that has coached a team to successive Champions Cups.

They've been very even in their praise for both sides.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

If we loose I think it derails our hopes in URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leinster are 8 pts favourites. That makes LaRochelle underdogs. If you don't think that's the case bet on la rochelle. Easy money.

• Advertisement

i honestly really like leinster in this. Only one major injury, they aren't playing quite as well as last year imo but la rochelle are playing a good bit worse, and also at home.

I would be pretty surprised if they lost.

‘We’ll take any support we can!’ – La Rochelle enjoying Cork welcome as key trio fit for Leinster

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/well-take-any-support-we-can-la-rochelle-enjoying-cork-welcome-as-key-trio-fit-for-leinster/a753202471.html

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't buy 'break the squad' or that it will 'devastate them' - if that was going to happen it would have been after losing the final at home last year after being so far ahead. Most of that team then went and got knocked out in the QF for so if those combined losses didn't break them then a QF loss in the CC, where there is far less pressure and focus, will not.

The very recent narrative was that Leinster couldn't beat LAR and now after they went to their home and did that in the rain and down key players a few months ago the goal posts have quickly been shifted to they 'can't beat them in a knockout' and 'cant beat them when it matters'.

If Leinster win at the weekend it will be just one of three steps they need to take to get to their main goal. The same media heads who are building LAR as potential to 'break the squad' will again move the goal posts and say the same thing when it comes to a loss in the semi or final.

It is part of the pressure of being the most successful Irish side, while the media will coddle other provinces and pat them on the head for even failing to do the bare minimum in Europe.

Its part of the pressure of being the irish side with a massive wage budget and almost the entire ireland squad.

People expect you to win for good reasons. That pressure is normal.

Edit: hyperbole obviously on ireland squad, its 19/33 i think.

• Advertisement

That is pretty much the point I was making.

Being expected to win and losing the odd game each season against good teams is also normal, especially when they are by the smallest margins.

It is those who are making it out that a loss would 'break the team' who have gone way into hyperbole.

Well yea break the team is obvious nonsense.

But this version of leinster has definitely underachieved silverware wise so the expectation to win the tournament isn't crazy imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Interestingly he thinks they're playing quite poorly, 

I mean, they quite clearly are. But those 20 minute bloody bursts they are capable of are still there.

Leinster #1 goal and expectation every year is winning the CC. Any time they miss out on it it is seen internally and externally as underachieving.

However, losing out to a fantastic team by the tiniest margins is very different than going out to a middling team by double digits and should be treated that way.

It isnt the end of the world for either LAR or Leinster to lose to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

wont be the end of the world but it will be a right gut punch.

lose this weekend and something has got to change.

I mean its the same in the sense that you don't get a trophy. In that extremely real practical sense, it be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conquestscarer

Yeah I've never understood people moaning about the bookies market. If you think La Rochelle should be favourites then you should put your money where your mouth is and put on a bet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,821 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Of course it will devastate them. It'll also be fairly devastating to the fans.

Anyone who says they won't be devastated losing to La Rochelle in a knockout game for the fourth time is a spoofer. To suggest it won't be a massive kick in the balls to the players if they come up short against the same team yet again doesn't stand up to any scrutiny for me, particularly when you take into account how La Rochelle have scraped their way into this position by the skin of their teeth.

It doesn't matter if you lose by 1 point or 20 points, you can look for whatever excuses you want, "but sure we beat them in a group game" etc etc. The Clermont bridesmaids comparisons in this thread and others are on the money if Leinster lose again.

Leinster must win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I have similar feelings to 2009 as we were getting ready to play Munster in croke park.

Really feel we have to win this one.

4 years in a row exiting to the same side is just too much

Murray Kinsella is leaning towards a La Rochelle win, but also made a good point that failing to clear their lines was the reason for Leinster's loss last season.

He counted at least 7 instances where Leinster kicked out on the full, sliced a kick or were penalised for a tackle in the air. It kept piling pressure onto the team and they started conceding points. Making sure we find touch at halfway will be very important to this game.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭hold my beer

If Leinster lose it will be an absolute kick in the bollox, but that can happen in sport (poor oul Mayo). I think we'll beat them, I'd have been more sure of it if James Ryan was playing, but I think we've good enough players and coaches to do it again. Hopefully it will put an end to this 'bottling' it nonsense that's spouted from some quarters. Sport is tough, especially when you're playing the best of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

I still haven't rewatched but that was one of my abiding memories. We made plenty of turnovers in our 22, but LAR would good at not giving us the holding on penalty, and then we messed up the rushed clearance. Didn't realise it was 7, that's a huge amount in (i assume) one half of rugby.

Re the Bookies, I can't believe they have Leinster as more than 1 score favourites. Seems bonkers based on the head to head for these teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We never should've lost last year. We were comfortably on top of them and smashing them physically. We won were dominant in the rucks, and turning over ball consistently. Some of the worst system failures with clearance kicks I've ever seen handed them the platform to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

La Rochelle were always going to have dominant spells in the game. The thing that will always rankle is how easy Leinster made it for them. Those botched clearance kicks will always stay in the back of the mind of Lowe, Byrne and JGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. And given who Leicester didn't have with them - Reffell etc… - maybe you're on to something. It was still a must win knockout game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

You know the loss last year cut deep when JvdF aka The South African Bull aka The Seven Gates of Hell was down on his fecking knees crying into the dirt.

I don't understand how Leinster are 7-8 point favourites for this game considering previous and the set-piece issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't understand how Leinster are 7-8 point favourites for this game considering the set-piece issues.

Home advantage, La Rochelle aren't in great form - they were poor enough against a depleted Stormers and have lost 12 games this season.

But no, I can't see it being anything other than a very tight game. Ryan is a huge loss, and I don't believe Keenan is properly fit either.

It really depends how you're defining 'devastate', is it closer to your 'kick in the balls' or the previous 'break the squad'? Those two are worlds apart.

It would definitely be a kick in the balls but I believe it is hyperbolic that it'll devastate them to the point of breaking the squad.

Totally disagree with your opinion regarding the manner of a loss. If Leinster lost by double digits in the last two finals and were miles off the LAR pace it would be a completely different story regarding how they'd feel and the actions that would be required for the team. Looking at win vs loss and ignoring the context seems shortsighted and lazy.

To me there is little, if any, difference in the depth of pain Leinster will feel if they lose this weekend or lose in the final. Leinster's goal this season isn't to beat LAR, if it was that has already been checked off the list. The LAR boogeyman is a great narrative but matters little in the grand scheme of things - winning the trophy is where they are being judged and will judge themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To me there is little, if any, difference in the depth of pain Leinster will feel if they lose this weekend or lose in the final

To me there would be a lot. I can't stomach losing to LAR again. I could take losing to Toulouse in a final - it's about their turn after we have hammered them so many times.

Advertisement