Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The attic person not working after taking money

Options
  • 10-04-2024 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have hired a person for 33k to do my attic conversion. The attic is just 40% done. I paid almost 90% of money now. He said many promises on the completion date so I gave him the money believing him. Now its been atleast 3 months any major work has been done in the house. Its almost 4 months since the attic conversion started.

What are my options to complain here? I mean to whom should I complain? To the GARDA?

I asked my bank to recall the funds but they said the attic person account has no more funds now.

Please help on how to proceed in my situation.

Regards,

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SeanieRetrofitter

Call the cops, it's fraud.

Also call consumer protection commission. Rat him out to the Revenue Commissioners as well.

And then go to your solicitor and sue him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Realistically probably not a lot unless you have a written contract with him….

• Banks can't got and take money out of someone else's account once the transaction has completed, so that was never going to fly
    • The Garda deal with criminal matters not contract law, so that will go no where as well

Talk to him, harass him to see if you can get movement on it. Talk to a solicitor, perhaps a letter from a solicitor might move it along, but these guys usually have very hard skin….

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

All you said is True.Thanks.

I have a written signed statement detailing all the work to be carried out.

I will report to the GARDA anyways and just ask them to give him a call once.

I called the council and they said to goto solicitor first and next small courts. But this matter they said can go for years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You need to figure out what you want to achieve - do you want to get him to complete the work or do you want to terminate the relationship and get someone else to do it? Because playing silly games with him will just ensure he does not complete the work to an acceptable standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SeanieRetrofitter

He got paid for the job in full, disappeared after a couple of weeks and doing less than half the job, and has done nothing for 3 months.

It's pretty clear he's not going to complete the work to any standard, never mind an acceptable one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

OP I can't see this going well for you. You paid up front. That's the mistake here.

Go after this fella via Solicitor ( The Garda will do nothing) will get you no closer to an attic conversion or money back.

Have you called him, called round to him? Found him in the bookies? Maybe he is sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You're wasting your time with the Gardai, there's no criminal offence here. Likewise, the council have no powers to compel the guy to finish. Small claims is limited to €2000.

The 'correct' route is legal action but it's probably more hassle than it's worth and your builder knows this.

In my experience, the best way to motivate a tradesman is to put the most a stinking review up on Google, Facebook and any other website you can think of, then notify him that you've done it. Usually you'll get a call promising to fix it if you take the review down.

If he comes back on site, you absolutely have to employ an independent engineer to inspect the work before the beams etc get hidden behind flooring and plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Madd002

Rule number one never pay upfront whatever about supplying materials. Is this guy local, did he do any local work that you went to see before you hired him?

yes so exactly for this reason I am in this position. Just to keep the good rapport going I gave him the money in instalments and thought he would finish off the work in 2 weeks. Was patient for like 3 months. He started in. Dec

yes he is local and even as a Facebook page with his completed work videos. Just saw them and trusted.

• Advertisement

He is not sick. Whenever I put some pressure, comes for 1 hour or so and goes off. He is clearly doing another jobs. I did not pay upfront. I paid in instalments. But after seeing 30% work done and by his promising words I paid more than I should. Think I paid 15k more than the actual work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

It's a situation you sometimes want to try and salvage rather than becoming further entrenched - although at some point you may have to make a call on it.

It's a situation you really should not be in but we are and comments on it are probably pointless.

If you are still in communication with this guy and he is still appearing to do bits of work that is good in a way!

Is he working solely on his own or with other people?

Ask what he needs to complete the job - I mean support here - not money!

If he needs someone sitting on him a little or cajoling him almost every day that is what you might have to do.

If he is only coming for an hour realistically he will not achieve anything. He needs to be coming for a day at a time.

In an ideal way you want to encourage him back, offer him support, cajole, etc. - but if necessary with a bigger threat with matters of planning compliance, building regulations compliance, health and safety compliance, revenue compliance, and ultimately solicitors and legal action, etc. Although mind that you do not jeopardise your own position in regard to those compliance matters!

Make a comprehensive list of all the works that have to be done with your loft conversion - from start to finish - starting with protective measures to the existing building right through to cleaning at the end of the job. There may be schedules or reference projects online you can look at - or you may already have something for this.

Check off all the items that have been completed.

Check all items that have been partially completed or for which there are materials on site.

Put a time estimate against all remaining items to be completed.

At least you will now have a clearer picture of what has to be done - and with cajoling you can hopefully target parts off the work and look at realistic achievements if there is only a commitment to say 2 days per week.

You could try to agree a programme with him - and agree that he on your site for say 2 days per week - trying to be realistic on this! Whatever he agrees you will have to ensure he sticks to it - and that may take a lot if he has been free to come and go previously.

Do you know where else he is working - you may have to literally chase him up on other sites.

You may have to almost work alongside this person and spend a lot of your own time on this as well!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

It is so frustrating! Very hard to find people who do what they say they are going to do. I have bought lots of equipment and try to do most jobs myself because I cannot stand begging people to come round and finish what they started.

Solicitor maybe your best option, our solicitor is great and will get involved with these type of disputes quickly but in my experience it ends up consuming time.

I think the above post from @FJMC has great suggestions and I would start there. I find loosing the head with them does not help you just end up frustrating yourself because they do not care.

Best of luck, you will get there in the end if they want to stay in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭McGrath5

OP are you in SW?

Advertisement