Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Simon knew he was becoming Taoiseach for a considerable period. He had all Easter to prepare himself for Dail questions and other EU meetings where the bureaucrats do all the work. Not showing up to the Dail today was rather silly. I think we will get a great degree of amusement and bewilderment from our short reign Taoiseach.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I think we will get more "amusement and bewilderment" from the online gang who entire life revolved around Leo and now seemed to have quickly switch to Simon, not even missed a post by the looks of it

A little less racism and homophobia in the posts/tweets which is a plus, but personal attacks on him from every other angle

You can make up your own opinion on those people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭creedp

I hadn't thought of that..balls these threads will be so boring now with no posts from the virtuous trying to save the racists and homophobes from themselves. Will have to power up the playstation to survive death by boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The routine guillotining of bills shows how much respect it has for the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Advertisement

Watching you in constant meltdown will also be amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

He was not Taoiseach until yesterday afternoon. If, before that, he had acted as though he was, I imagine he would have been lambasted by plenty of people. A new Taoiseach appearing in the Dail in Day One might suit the Opposition and give the media stuff to write/talk about, but in reality would be of no value in terms of holding him to account. The approach taken by SF and others today suggests that either they don't really understand the job of the Taoiseach and Ministers or they are just playing to the gallery for a headline or two.

Didn't Simon meet the 2 NI leaders on Monday with Leo? What urgent business was discussed today that meant he had to miss Leaders Questions? Where was the Tanaiste?

At least he had time to make a Tiktok video today showing how busy he was.

Yes reading back in the thread it’s me in melt down 🤣🤣

Go on tell us another one of your “predictions” 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Why has there been such a big love in in the media about him becoming Taoiseach as if its a dawning of a new great hopeful era for the country, like an Irish version of Obama.

The man has been utterly useless in government, completely devoid of charisma and is basically a caretaker until the election early next year why can't the media treat this as what it is in reality and stop making such a big deal of it.

• Advertisement

Yes they should ignore the new leader of Ireland so you are happy. Never mind all the people that are actually interested in hearing about him as he is the Taoiseach. The media should just cater for you

Stupid media, stupid stupid media

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was the same with Leo. Our new, young, mixed race, gay leader - how far we'd come!

Complete nonsense of course. None of that had anything to do with his competence or suitability for the top job - or lack thereof.

History repeating itself. Focusing on all the things that are politically irrelevant to distract from the more pertinent facts.

Leo becoming Taoiseach was a huge deal for Ireland. Trying to down play it now is a little embarrassing to be honest

This coming from someone who never voted for him but at least I could see what a huge change it was for Ireland. Some of course didn't accept it and hence why we had years on online racial and homophobic attacks on Leo.

Maybe you could explain what "competence or suitability for the top job" you want to see and who is currently your choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭corkie

@_Kaiser_ It was the same with Leo. Our new, young, mixed race, gay leader - how far we'd come!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/14/leo-varadkar-formally-elected-as-prime-minister-of-ireland

Varadkar won the vote by 57 votes to 50, with 47 abstaining. Micheál
    Martin, the leader of Fianna Fáil, the Dáil’s second largest party,
    outlined why the party had had abstained, saying: “As we showed
    repeatedly last year, our preference in this Dáil was for Fine Gael to
    be removed from government.
    We continue to oppose core Fine Gael
    policies as outlined in its manifestos and its approach to government.

How passage of time and fear of SF in power, changed MM opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Mickey Martin - “These are my principles, and if you don’t like them…well, I have others.”

I don't and never have given a toss about Leo's love life, his heritage or his youth - except insofar as the latter was repeatedly demonstrated through gaffes and poor judgement during his tenure.

The only ones who care about such things are those who are more concerned about identity and personality (for better or worse) than ability or competence.

Like Harris though he managed to get to the top job through playing FG party politics and somewhat fortunately at that as a result of the member's choice (Coveney) being overlooked. In the case of Harris it's because the more suitable choices stood back.

Winning by default is hardly a sign of endorsement - in either case.

As for who would be a better choice - well, as I've said before, we are starved for competent politicians who can rally an electorate behind them from amongst the current crop, but in FG's case, Donohoe would probably have been the best of their available options and presented at minimum a level of professionalism and respect for the role.

What we've done here is essentially sent Jedward to the Eurovision. A man with no qualifications, no achievements beyond time served in FG, and not even an ability to at least appear suited to the most important role in the country.

It's simultaneously extremely sad, disappointing and worrying that this is the level that Irish politics is now at.

MM's only goal, as I've noted before, was to NOT be the FF leader who wasn't Taoiseach.

That's it. Nothing else. Just to be able to say he "led" the country. It's also why he did away with any notion of difference between him/FF and their old "frenemy" through firstly Confidence and Supply, and then outright Coalition.

Of course this became even more painfully evident when he effectively abdicated the running of the country to Tony Holohan and NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Because thats what it's been since Leo took over

So in other words every TD is incompetent

Why don't you go for election then? it seems you think you are more educated and competent compared to the TD's so you would be a slam dunk to get into Taoiseach

• Advertisement

I think you will find after the last election covid hit, then SF disappeared and managed to negotiate terms with not a single party in Ireland.

FG after the election said they would go into opposition, all of this is easily found. What is not easily found, at the time, was anyone from Sinn Fein as they went into hiding.

Taking over the country with covid looming was not something Sinn Fein wanted to do, easier to flip flop all over the place from the opposition bench's and be a total disaster in Northern Ireland

You asked a question, I did you the respect of an honest considered answer.

It's not my fault you don't like that answer but your toy-throwing is wasted on me. I'm not 12.

Enjoy your night.

I didn't throw anything out of pram

You seem to think all TD's are incompetent, it is natural to assume you think then you are better than all of them, so run yourself and show them all how it's done?

Now this of course is tongue in cheek, like most people online it is all bluster, once you suggest going to become a TD etc they high tail it away. Like you quickly decided to do

Feel free to pat yourself on the back as much as you wish there. You obviously need the validation.

If that's the level of response you have to offer it's not worth engaging with. Again, I'm not 12

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry I meant to reply to the other poster about GE and posters up, quote them

I agree America for St. Patrick's Day with shamrock is needed but not everywhere else, how many politicians were abroad this St. Patrick's Day on the tax payers money on wasted trips and not to mention their big carbon footprint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Nobody else in FG ran for leadership, that tells you something. Namely, when it all goes tits up for FG, Simon and not Leo will get the blame. They have seen the writing on the wall and don't want it to fall back on them. Simon is just like Martin, he wanted to be Taoiseach at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭corkie

@Clo-Clo I think you will find after the last election covid hit, then SF disappeared and managed to negotiate terms with not a single party in Ireland. FG after the election said they would go into opposition, all of this is easily found. ~~ see provided link below.

SF had no chance of forming a coalition of the below.

Sinn Féin stated an intention to form a broad left coalition; combined, left-leaning parties have 67 seats (37 Sinn Féin, 12 Green, 6 Labour, 6 Social Democrats, 5 Solidarity–PBP, and 1 Independents 4 Change), but other parties of the left have raised doubts about such a prospect. In addition, Sinn Féin would have needed the support of at least 13 independents (out of 19 total) to form a government.[94][96] ~~ Link

Even if such was established, I doubt it would have survived long in government.

The other option suggested at the time was another election. But the current FF/FG/Green was formed to avoid that over the fear that SF would run more candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How do you claim the “trips were wasted”?

Do you really think our country should ignore the opportunities St Patrick’s Day affords us.

Very blinkered outlook I would opine……

SF never tried, none of the parties listed came to agreement, even after SF met the Greens first and PBP sent a begging letter for them to come out of hiding

So, sorry but Sinn Fein ran for the hills once they seen covid.

I do like people who can't use crayons on boards so have to use bold instead. Not sure what they think it gains

• Advertisement

So you now are trying to claim you not only know what is going on in FG but also what Harris and MM are like?

Based on a quick look at history you have spent years online abusing Leo, now you are saying you will forget him and blame Simon for everything?

That's embarrassing isn't it?

Advertisement