Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Comfortable 2nd hand estate for €25k?

Options
  • 10-04-2024 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

I’m looking for a 2nd hand estate with a nice interior, my budget is €25k, I'd like a "light hyrbid", so the Corolla Touring Sports seemed the sensible choice but I was in one recently and it feels too plasticky , same applies to the Octavia .

Now I’m considering the Volvo v60 , the Audi A4 Avant , the Seat Leon Estate FR and the Skoda Superb, am I missing something ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Audi A6 2.0 TDI Black Edition Ultra 187BHP 5DR 19

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-2-0-tdi-black-edition-ultra-187bhp-5dr-19/36678032

Few of these on done deal for under 25k

I wouldn’t mind the mileage or age, that car will feel better isolated and better build quality inside than any of the others you’ve listed.

And it will stay that way for longer than the others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When you say light hybrid are you talking about one that can drive on electric power for a short distance but doesn't require plugging into a socket or a mild hybrid that has a very small battery and motor that only assists the car's engine?

I think on a budget of 25k your choices are going to be narrow. Seat Leon interior is not going to feel any better than a Corolla or Octavia. Not sure that the v60, A4 or Superb that came with mild hybrid tech are within budget either. Mild hybrid tech really only became a thing in the last 4 years or so.

If you want a plug in hybrid then a Passat estate is probably worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

Yes a mild hybrid ideally, it does seem that my budget won't stretch to that, I'm prepared to accept a regular petrol or maybe even a diesel

Post edited by MercuryBoy on

I'm seeing a few interesting plug in hyrbid VW Passats, that might be the one

although the boot space is compromised by the battery 🤔

• Advertisement

I'd say just look at petrol versions. You would need to be plugging it in nearly every day to benefit from the small electric range:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3519007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Depending on your commutes, the 5 seconds it takes to plug in might be worth it for 200 mpg or visiting the petrol station every 2 months, I am in 2 minds whether its easier to stick 20 euro worth of fuel every week or a 100 euro every 5 weeks, my usage, I just fill her up the day before going on a long trip and then driving around on the fumes for the next 2 months.

Hard know.

The 490L boot size on the pluggable hybrid Passat is a big drop from the 620L on the non hybrids, defeats the purpose of an estate really!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭goochy

skoda superb 1.5 petrol , might be harder to get in estate form

For 25k your would be looking at the older 1.4 petrol Superb and even they are rare.

A good few low mileage petrol Audi A4 Avants being imported from Japan these days, boot might be on the small side depending on your needs:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3607359

• Advertisement

what’s the story with the Japanese imports ? Any negatives to them ? How do you spot them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭trindade

I bet the Leon is good option as you can get a newer car compared with other options…

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just to throw another option, I am a third time Kia Ceed owner. While I drive a diesel, they only produced the hybrid models in the latter years. They are a comfy space to be in and are very well specced from the outset. My not be as luxurious as you want, but still an option and with the remainder of a 7 year warranty.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-sw-phev-trailer-5dr-auto/36252251

I thought Japanese imports could be robbed with basically a spoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

Some of the budget Jap car makers yes but not VW/Audis which are being discussed here

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Passate GTE, Great looking well spec'd cars

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Have you tried the new Octavia? It seemed quite upmarket to me

when I sat in one recently.

If you wait for zero percent finance deal it will work out

cheaper than a second hand at 25k (depreciation etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭trindade

This is a good suggestion indeed, new Octavia has a great interior and A LOT of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Superb is 0% finance on HP at moment - monthly payments and

total cost of ownership may be lower depending on other options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Merc C350e estate is quite a nice looking car with a decent sized 2.0 petrol engine. No experience personally but might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

If you don't care about the badge, Renault Megane Sport Tourer is a nice comfortable car - it's not massive, but the petrol engine and overall build makes it very smooth and comfortable to drive. I think they do a hybrid version as well.

Advertisement