Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

"Closing ranks to keep SF out" Now there's a political strategy I can get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What kind of weird British FPTP nonsense is this? The public giving SF a mandate to form a government by being the largest party?

This is Ireland, mate, a proper democracy. Being the largest party doesn't give you a mandate to form a government if, in fact, the majority of voters have rejected you, and a majority of their representatives don't support you. What it does is to put you in pole position to form a coalition. You get first bite of the cherry, so to speak, when it comes to finding common ground with other parties so that you can put together a programme for government that will secure the assent of a majority.

This is a challenge SF has never had to rise to before, north or south and, given the party's antecedents and historical experience, there's a very real question over whether they have the wherewithall to rise to it. It will require a huge change in culture and outlook. I'm old enough to remember when Fianna Fáil had to develop these skills; it was a slow and painful experience for them. I think the challenge for SF will be at least as big.

If SF is the largest party but doesn't become part of a viable coalition, no doubt SF supporters will spout this "mandate" shïte and feel aggrieved. But those who didn't vote for SF — the large majority, remember — may conclude that SF have demonstrated that they don't yet have the political skills required to form and lead a viable coalition. Whining about a "mandate" based on a clear minority of the vote will tend to reinforce that perception, so maybe don't do it.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I agree with most of that.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

If, as expected but not guaranteed, SF becomes the largest party with say 50-60 seats, the public will expect them to get the first go in forming a government.

Given that the only real way a government will be formed will be with either FG or FF, SF will have to reach out to one of them and make some concessions to get them on board.

If they do what they did last time out, that is nothing, the public won't take too kindly to them being so stubborn.

Of course, there will be demands. That is why there will be long and protracted negotiations.

Given that FF have much much more experience at that than SF, id wager they will win that one.

But welcome to the reality of Irish politics. Every government is ultimately a compromise between parties. SF will know all about that soon and their poll numbers will crash because of it, because their voters arent the brightest when it comes to the ins and out of our political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

SF are falling into the trap of every other modern leftist party. Taken over by identity politics obsessed middle class liberals, who take the core working class vote for granted, and by the time they realise they need those votes, they're scrambling to try and get them back. In danger of becoming no different from Labour and the Social Democrats

Their policy commitments from now to the GE will be interesting to judge. I'm expecting a firmer policy footing towards immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Very similar to Geert Wilders and his PVV party in the Netherlands. Largest amount of representatives gave them the right to open coalition talks - but they lacked the political skills and yes, maturity, to actually agree a program for government and take office. I could absolutely see SF in the same position in a year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭pureza

Latest poll SF at 23 % Ireland thinks,putting them just 3% ahead of FG and a whopping 20% behind the government parties (though 11% ahead of a dismal 2019 and an extra EU seat) ,that'd be very disappointing for them though and all the wind out of their sails government hopes wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It will be a compromise not a capitulation.
    You guys seem to think that another political party is going to go cap in hand asking to please be allowed to the governing table.
    Nothing in SF's history would lead me to that conclusion.

Looking at the differences between the last EU elections and this one you think a 12% growth will be 'disappointing'?

Folk here reckon FF, on 17% of the vote will demand , all the top and key jobs, will dictate what policy is allowed be implemented and then look for a rotating Taoiseach as the cherry on top and you think SF have issue with 'maturity'?

• Advertisement

Given its stagnation vs 2020 and a 13 to 16% drop in these polls since their peak,I dont see how it could otherwise be seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the reason SF didn't get into government last time is they couldn't/wouldn't compromise. its what coalition politics is all about like it or not. I can see SF been in exactly the same position next time and still bleating about popular mandates and refusing to compromise.

FF won't make demands what planet are you living on.

the reason SF didn't get into government last time is they couldn't/wouldn't compromise

With who?

What government talks are you refferring to? The talks with FG, or FF?

Remind us what happened in them.

You'd have a point if people got carried away with mid term polls and confused them with actual elections.

'Maturity' here means political maturity. The discipline and focus to commit, through negotiation, to a five year program for government - and then to implement that.

I see no signs of SF having that maturity yet, similar to the PVV. Maybe they will prove me wrong.

Its more than a trend now though,its a slide

4 years fighting this government for to end up back at the numbers had at the start?

It would NOT want to slide any further

It would be naive of politics watchers not to wonder what sort of head scratching is going on in HQ about it,do Sinn Féin also need a reset ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how about this, political maturity is about been able to draw all these various strands together and create a coalition that might hold together. no sign of the yet from SF.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/11/sinn-fein-begins-efforts-form-leftwing-alliance-ireland-election-mary-lou-mcdonald

Go on Raoul, please show us what 'negotiations' they failed to compromise in?

Where and at what point in the 'mature negotiations' with FG and FF, for instance, did this happen?

Or did somebody take their balls home before the game even begun?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Think of it in these terms.

A Group want to build a shiny new Building with sea-views and all sorts of wonderful things and they just bought a huge big site , just perfect for it.

However , the ONLY access to this site is through the land of a Grumpy old farmer and without him agreeing to sell the land to them the can't do anything.

If the building is to ever happen, that Farmer is going to expect to be paid many many many multiples of the value if his much smaller piece of land for facilitating this shiny new building.

Despite having much less land , he holds all the power and he knows it.

Why on earth would he give it up cheaply?, he will push and push to see how badly the other guys want that shiny new building.

That's just how negotiation works.

SF don't have much of a bench, if by 'reset' you mean some kind of Opposition front bench reshuffle?

In fact, their pool of talent looks really weak and you do have to wonder how they would hold up under the white heat of scrutiny in government. I think Pearse Doherty would be badly exposed for one - any time I've ever heard him attempt to speak about economic issues in any depth he comes across as totally clueless (probably understandably given he has zero background, educational or career, in the area).

• Advertisement

12 points ahead of where they where is 'back where they started'?

The spotlight will be on SF on who to reach out to and what to offer first and foremost

That is how it worked in the past.

It will take months id wager to get a deal.

And we havent even menetioned the, "We want a government without FF or FG" mantra that SF is pushing.

SF supporters will be in for a shock when they start talking to them.

If they had the will, and the discipline, to do it, they - the largest party - would have found a way. They never even made a serious attempt. I know the default SF reaction here would be to blame FF\FG, but maybe try looking at it from a wider lense for once.

Just like the PVV. You mightn't like it but it's a valid comparison.

by the way, is this thread just Francie batting on his own for SF? He's a busy man! With this kind of work ethic, Mary Loo should put him in charge of election strategy.

In fairness to SF, there was an undeniable sense of shock within the party itself after the last election - they never in their wildest dreams thought they would achieve what they did. So they may well have been unprepared for the notion of government formation and had no strategy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It could conceivably end up with a merger of the three "Republican parties" - FG, FF and SF in time? As SF gradually go more centrist etc.

The next argument would be what the new party would be called.

I doubt it would happen in my lifetime. But when all those from "The Troubles" era are long gone it makes it more likely it could happen.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If they had the will, and the discipline, to do it, they - the largest party - would have found a way. 

Oh right.
    They had to find 'a way' with the sleveenism of hot and cold Micheal, opening and closing doors, who would never coalesce with FG but did, and Varadkar who was not even being open to contact, claimed putting FF back in was like putting Delaney back in the FAI and then, what did he do, he put FF back in.

Maturity you say?

Lol Francie,if thats what Sinn Féin's analysis is of the latest polling,the current government will be a shoe in

It is MY analysis Pureza.
    What am I missing? They are a full 12% ahead of where they where at the last EU election.

FG were at 35% in general polls in early 2020, they are now on a 20% year long flatline. FF in 2020 reached 24%, cannot get past 17% now.

What is your analysis of those falls and flatlines? Do the folk here not trumpet that that is good result for the government parties? Yet a 12% increase is something to be disappointed by?

• Advertisement

After 4 years of this government,FG are where they started,meanwhile so are SF,are you seriously asking me why I think thats very disappointing for the main opposion party,to have 4 years being the main opposition come to nothing ?

Advertisement