Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭The Macho Man

I've been in the large glasshouses in the Teagasc research and training centre in Ashtown, impressive setup but none have clouded glass. All clear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Time of year plus a research and training center would probably have an automatic system, iirc a screen thats pulled over on wires, there are also external systems.

Traditionally you put a whitewash on the inside of the glass from the end of May

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

I've got some relatives who recently relocated to the UK and need some garden furniture for their outdoor space. I'm searching for some good deals to pass along to them. So far, I've found https://www.gardencentreshopping.co.uk/, which seems to offer reasonable prices.
    Does anyone here have any recommendations for stores in the UK where I could find quality garden furniture at affordable prices?

What part of UK? South Wales or Devon/Cornwall always worth checking Trago Mills

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There are screens that come across when needed in those glasshouses. It's a very high spec and quite automated facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 johnbyrne9000

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Saw that Farmer Graceys has 30% offand free shipping today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/titan-tti821ggt-18v-1-x-2-0ah-li-ion-txp-cordless-grass-trimmer/380pt

Good offer ? Can this be used as a maintenance tool for a sloped garden ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Seems a very good price but I don't know what kind of reputation Titan tools have, someone else might know.

It looks pretty much identical in design to a Bosch trimmer which I paid €176 for recently, came with a 2ah battery as well just like the Titan above. Went with Bosch as I have their batteries already for other tools. These trimmers can tackle anything up to thick clumps of scutch grass but wouldn't be able for thick stemmed weeds.

I have some Titan tools. I would recommend their miter saw. I was in Lidl yesterday and they had the same saw branded Parkside (Lidl one more expensive). Therefore I'd suggest Parkside and Titan brands would be somewhat comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭dball

Thanks for the heads up - selling this as a result of this post - thanks @Roberto_gas and buying one of these makes total sense for a small urban garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

this is a bargain alert question of sorts, but I’m wondering what time of the year is best for buying perennials in small pots at a reasonable price? I wanted to get the likes of verbena bon, salvia, echinacea, rubeckia etc. I hadn’t been at the garden centre much through March and April and think I missed on the cheaper options. Is this the case?

The key there is "perennials". For me you can buy them anytime cause you know they'll be back year after year. Even if you don't get much of a display in the first year at least the plant has established a root system and be good from year two onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

thank you for that. I was looking to see if there was a good time that garden centres have them in at good value due to small size. I think I will be keeping a closer look from feb onwards next year. We have inherited a fantastic garden last year and this year the plans have started, including lots of space for herbaceous borders - it will cost a fortune though!

On another note, I picked up some perennials as root balls from Farmer Gracy today, 50% off and a decent selection. Looking forward to getting them in the ground, and probably a better establishment next year.

Woodies, and probably most garden centres, always have a bargain shelf of plants that are dirt cheap but just need a little tlc to resurrect them. I've gotten plenty in the past for really cheap and always grew quite well once looked after.

Its never really bothered me what time of year, once I see a bargain I grab it and just take care of it. Usually in a separate pot and once its ready to go into the ground I plant it.

If you keep an eye out now you'll start picking up unsold Spring stock and other plants that weren't looked after for pennies, overwinter them well then plant in Spring.

A great shop to look in is Mr Middletons in Mary Street in Dublin, they have an online shop but stock really good variety rather than the same ol same ol you see in the larger outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I'd agree. I got a good-sized salvia in Woodies at half-price or less because it had finished flowering for the year.

One or two other plants for a euro or two that have tripled in size by looking after them for a year and re-potting as they grew.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

When you say overwinter you mean keep them in the house yes? Not just in a pot in a sheltered sunny spot?

Anything to keep severe weather and frost/snow/ice off them. Usually I'd keep them in my wooden shed, close to the window. If you picked up something now you could leave it in a nice sheltered sunny or partial shaded spot, once it starts to show some signs of new life that means the roots are good and will likely start to spread so once the new growth is showing put it into a bigger pot, maybe 1.5/2 times the current size. Then around the time of the first frosts or when it dies back move it into a shed that has some light via a window or a cold frame in a sheltered spot.

If its an evergreen I keep it right by the shed window, I've taken some Rosemary cuttings and kept them in the shed window over the winter then bring out in late April.

2 things I pay close attention to are when I pick up the pot look underneath to see if the roots are showing. If they are it need to go into a larger pot or even the ground straight away. The second is just read the label carefully to see is it a shade, partial shade or full sun variety and what is the spread. That will give you a good idea of where to place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭secman

Chadwicks have a pull along tipping cart for €79 , very similar to Draper one that we paid €150 for earlier this year. Very handy for jobs around the garden from weeding and carrying tools, filling it with compost etc.

There are at least 3 different sizes of those carts so always worth comparing both price and size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭dball

can anyone reccomed an online place i could purchase a water butt (100 - 250ltr) and the extras i would neeed to tap into a downpipe, with delivery in ireland, Thanks

Theres a seller here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strata-Products-Ltd-GN325-including/dp/B001DYWUNC/ that has a fairly reasonable delivery charge. Look for the seller Stewart & Gibson Limited

The get the downpipe kit that is right for your type of downpipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I bought this a couple of years ago, and very happy with it. It's 300l though, but very neat in size. There's a good selection of butts on the site, so there may be one more suited to your space. The various bits needed to hook up the downpipe are included.

https://www.tanks.ie/300l-square-water-butt/p19907

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Get yourself a 1000L IBC in a cage. I've 3 in my garden. Great for the polytunnel.

Plenty of them on done deal. Get food grade ones

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Anywhere to buy grass seeds from ? Only need a handful for an area where there is still no growth after reseeding last month .The ones in woodies area bit expensive for a small area

Post edited by galaxy12 on

Advertisement