Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Go ahead and explain, in great detail, how opposing the Israeli actions in Gaza is support of Islamic State.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some countries are suspending flights to Iran.

Iran themselves have closed Tehran airspace and cancelled all military leave and issued a return to barrack for military.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's always very predictable in these types of threads. The barstool theologians show up sooner or later to give very in depth explanations (in their minds) as to why all Muslims are the same and think the same and therefore, in this case, all Palestinians think the same as ISIS therefore supporting Palestinians = supporting ISIS. All the time ignoring the fact that that all Muslims don't think the same (they always ignore this) and, in this specific case, will demonstrate their ignorance of what they're trying to argue as it is common knowledge to people who have any idea what they're talking about that not all Palestinians are Muslims. But yeah, having a problem with Israel mass murdering Palestinians is bad, because ISLAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

The sad reality is Biden will only come down hard on Israel if he thinks his re-election chances are harmed by not doing so. His condemnation of the Israeli means of executing it's war on Hamas rings hollow as he supplies them with weapons to kill tens of thousands of Palestinians. He is as guilty as Netanyahu in this genocide let their be no doubt about this.

Israel or more precisely Netanyahu is hoping that Iran responds militarily to the strike on the consulate in Damascus. He knows that they have lost the PR war and are not militarily defeating Hamas, which was always BS as Hamas is as much an ideology as an army. If the Iranian's are smart they will continue to show restraint and not attack Israel directly. Israel is committing repeated and worsening acts of self harm and eventually on it's current course will bleed out.

Netanyahu is right when he says the two state solution is dead. The only viable state is a Palestinian state in which Jews live. He has destroyed Israel as we have known it since 1948. He cannot eradicate the Palestinians and he has made Israel in it's current guise untenable.

Once the genocide ends and at some point elections are called in Israel Netanyahu is goosed. He will be facing judicial proceedings for corruption. Their is a train of thought that Netanyahu allowed the attacks on October 7 to occur to justify his war on/genocide of the Palestinians in Gaza. It seems inconceivable that a country so well secured militarily could be breached like it was on October 7 without purposeful negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Iranian airspace is open and flights are proceeding as normal.

The original claim of airspace closures and mobilisation orders all seem related to russian disinformation accounts.

Attached is a screenshot of current FR24 flights over Iran. I've also seen zero credible evidence of Iranian mobilisation orders. Happy to stand corrected if anyone has firm info.

• Advertisement

For the umpteen time there is no genocide happening there, even the US say so.

“We don’t have any evidence of genocide being created,” Austin said in testimony before the US Senate Armed Services Committee regarding US President Joe Biden’s latest budget request.

I don't know about you, but I would take the word of the US over Hamas, any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The US officials saying that is not proof of the negative. That is laughable to try and pull out as an argument. The one nation on earth who almost universally backs Israel, except for the other week when it merely abstained from a resolution, yeah okay. PULL ANOTHER

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

Do you not have a T.V?

You guys need to understand geo politics and propaganda and how it works. They are countries like Nicaragua, russia, china, iran, south Africa etc and organisations like BRICS etc. They are designed to undermine the west. I would much rather the Israelis arms suppliers such as US, UK, Germany etc., to be our allies that the other lot or god forbid even Hamas.

• Advertisement

Overheal this response was not aimed at you .

Point missed, 33,300 Palestinian people are reported dead ,that's just the dead that arrived at the hospitals ,there maybe a hundred thousand under the rubble ,there's a lot of rubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You guys need to understand geo politics and propaganda and how it works.

This is rich coming from the poster who just cited The US Secretary of Defense to allege there is no genocide happening in Gaza.

The UN Rapporteur is not from BRICS. Keep digging this hole.

https://www.un.org/unispal/document/anatomy-of-a-genocide-report-of-the-special-rapporteur-on-the-situation-of-human-rights-in-the-palestinian-territory-occupied-since-1967-to-human-rights-council-advance-unedited-version-a-hrc-55/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

A true reflection of how cowardly Biden is. It's all about the votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s wishful thinking that Iran will heed the words of Biden and not attack Israel - these sort of statements just show how fcked up this whole mess is- Biden is just electioneering .

Hamas were pr1cks for doing what they did - Israel had a right to retaliate but after the first few weeks I believe they should have explored more peaceful means - I supported Israel in its right to retaliate but it’s genocide at this stage .

But Hamas has a lot of this blood on their hands too- given Israel’s might and anger they knew what they were doing - they’re sacrificing their own people for their own means - I hope most of Hamas are dead now, but before their children become radicalised into that cult, both countries need to agree peace or we’ll still be watching a version of this in 50 years time

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13295143/Joe-Biden-vows-ironclad-support-Israel-amid-fears-missile-attack-Iran-imminent-Tehran-clears-airspace-military-drills.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

if iran attacks israel in a US election year who knows what will happen

it is just the excuse the US and Israel have been waiting for years to bomb the absolute shite out of the iranian nuclear program

there’s nothing like a good olde war to distract from low polls in an election year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

And what, pray tell, are the "peaceful means" of dealing with Hamas? Google 'Hamas sex crimes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How else would he react to be fair? Do what the Israelis want and pull out of the peace negotiations?

I would be looking at the other side though. Israel deliberately targeted and killed them because they were his children and grandchildren. Is this acceptable? It was their first visit back to the family home to celebrate Eid.

Are current/past IDF soldiers and their children and grandchildren also legitimate targets now?

What is your obsession with googling that? You've encouraged people to do it a number of times. Is it some sort of referral scheme?

• Advertisement

I’m well aware of Hamas atrocities - they’re essentially a cult run by madmen - nothing to do with religion or whatever rubbish they’re pedalling - but if they don’t want to be smushed into the ground they’re going to have to talk to Israel and come to an agreement - the very fact they’re letting 1000s of innocent people die is all we need to know about them - I don’t need Google to educate me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,407 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ISIS emerged from the ashes of toppled governments amid the 'war on terror'. ISIS and other extremists thrive in chaos, violence and amongst the dispossessed, disaffected, hopeless and angry people.

Treating terrorism as crime, and targetting your response at the criminals and their resources is by far the most effective way to destroy those organisations.

Retaliating, by attacking innocent people is so obviously counter productive.

Terrorism thrives on propaganda. After the 'War on Terror' began in 2001, the amount of global islamic extremism massively increased. It didn't go down.

Every new 'Martyr' is another entry in the ISIS/Al Qaeda/Hesbollah/Hamas recruitment pamphlet

Well thank fu^k we historically never had any muslims in this country and were able to escape any form of religious conflict over the centuries.

How can someone live in Ireland and only be aware of conflict or issues that they can connect somehow to Islam? ……. you don't even have to leave the island to find counterexamples.

Do they sit at home wondering why all those Russian muslims are invading and attacking the Ukrainian muslims?

'Even' the US?

That's like a murderer taking the stand on trial and saying 'I can't be guilty, even my own mother and all my accomplices to the alleged crime say I'm innocent'

All of them.

Every single world religion has at some time in the past, had genocidal wars waged in it's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

No, the problem is not 'Muslims' as you say, the problem is radical Islam. Radical Islam is unable to live in peace with anyone, even with other Islamists who have been killing each other, inter alia, since 632AD.

Obviously most Muslims are not radical, but in The Palestinian Territories, it is an extreme situation, as any of us who have been there know. If you have not been there you cannot conceive of the true context. In the last elections they voted for Hamas! Who do you think is hiding and supporting Hamas and who was cheering for them on October 7th as they raped young girls to death? Look at the videos, Palestinian women are cheering for girls being raped to death. It reminds me of the recorded call of the Russian soldier recently where his Russian wife was telling him to rape Ukrainian women. Imagine telling your partner to do that. In our naive little Irish bubble, we really do not understand the mentality on either side (luckily for us), let alone the dynamics between them.

They are not even all Islamic in Palestine (yet), it used to be 10% Christian although the Christian population in the Palestinian territories has fallen to 1% and most were not killed by the IDF.

As we saw when Jordan took in Yasser Arafat and the Palestinians, these extremists cannot live in peace with anyone, even with the very moderate Muslims in Jordan (have we already forgotten what the Palestinians did to Jordan?) so I don't see how we can expect them to live in peace beside the Jews. It cannot happen, our whole premise is invalid. Ireland's colossal bias on the issue has gone from looking quaint and naive to downright uninformed, unbalanced and dangerous.

But I suppose picking a side and remaining wilfully blind to the other side (when Iran nukes Israel, will we turn a blind eye to a few million more deaths, as long as they are on 'the other side'? Just look away...) is easier than fixing our own problems in Ireland. And you'll only be wrong half the time which would improve the Irish government's record!

If you want to form your prejudices based on isolated incidents, feel free to look back a few pages to the article I posted about the ultra orthodox jew stabbing multiple people at an LGBT parade. He wasn't long out of prison for committing a similar act previously.

When you've done that, come back and let us know whether it is still fine to categorise all based on the actions of a few.

that’s one thing I don’t get about this current conflict - the whole “taking sides” thing - the barbaric act against Israel and innocent people last year was unforgivable- while Israel had a right to retaliate, it had gone way too far after the first month - it’s now genicide type territory - however, you still wouldn't get me waving a Palestinian flag on a bridge over a motorway as I see many groups doing every Saturday morning, many of them Irish , looking for “honks of support” from passing motorists. That to me is just makes no sense whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Iran is governed by radical Islamic theocratic extremists — effectively no different to ISIS-type savagery.

Just as we wouldn't want ISIS to possess nuclear weapons, the same should apply to Iran.

If Iran attacks Israel, I hope the latter go out of their way to permanently end their nuclear program.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that it is a lot easier to have the mentality that you are going to die by the hands of others (be that quick or slowly over time) and that you would prefer to go out on your own terms when that is actually the case in reality.

Give a 13 year old kid access to normal things such as education and hopes and technology and see whether it is easier or more difficult to radicalise him compared to a 13 year old who has witnessed his family home being bombed, all his family killed around him and no hope for the future.

Advertisement