Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you travel if your passport has less than 6 months left to expiry date on it in europe?

• 10-04-2024 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I am travelling in both June & July in europe.

Passport expires in December.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It's fine for Europe. You may run into trouble if you travel to the Middle East. A lot of countries in that area have the 6 month requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭wijam

good to know, cheers @Nigel Fairservice as I'm in the same boat myself next month

Now here's a stupid question, when you renew your passport, does it add 10 years on to the date of renewal of date of expiry of the old passport? The scrooge me in doesn't want to be losing months 🤣

You just get a straight 10 years upon renewal 🤣

I forgot you're to mention that you're OK to travel to the US too if you've got 6 months or less on your passport. Passport just has to be valid for the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭zg3409

Note apply for renewal early. Typically renewals online are really really fast but at peak times or if it's rejected multiple times you can have problems for upcoming holidays. Make a big reminder to do it after this holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

Most countries outside of the EU have a 6 mth expiry-that is 6 mths from your departure date.Some 3 mths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The UK used to add the remaining time to a 10 year and its causing absolute mayhem now, as most countries reject any passport with over ten years validity.

Better not to have it basically!

I think when the UK were in the EU their citizens could travel to other EU countries on the validity bit of their passport that was in excess of 10 years. They can't anymore since they left the EU. The likes of the Sun and the Daily Mail run articles during the summer about people getting turned away at the airport on their way to the likes of Spain because of their passport validity. A lot of Irish people read the same articles online and it has just been adding to the confusion here. Irish citizens are fine for any EU travel as long as their passport is in date for the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know the OP is only proposing to travel in Europe but as you mention 'outside of the EU'….

The US have that 6 months rule but there is a big exemption list and Ireland is on it. Link to the current list below.

I travelled to NYC for Thanksgiving a few years ago, my passport had just six weeks remaining validity and the immigration agent in Dublin airport never passed any remark on it.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2024-Feb/Six-Month%20Passport%20Exemption%20Update%2020240131_0.pdf

Advertisement