Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Throw a european knockout game im sure the same posters wouldnt be on here tearing them apart for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Having one or two young lads who are lighter is a lot different in a game than having an entire team.

You could be having a 60/80 kg difference in the pack alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There was an allowance given to a lot of teams that time and it was in medical grounds.

nobody was deemed medically u fit to play except snyman and daly.

The organisers are hardly going to be interested in a team throwing a knockout game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

One would wonder how thrilled Northampton might be if sickness starts going through their squad. There is absolutely no obvious answer to any of this though.

Anyway, Munster did exceptionally well, as often in these circumstances. I still think they are ultimately better off losing rather than facing a 6 day turnaround to South Africa with a sick squad for a three week tour. The week off and ability to focus on the URC is probably for the best (albeit I doubt the players view it that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Renewed my MRSC membership & match tickets today, €333 for Cork & Limerick terrace tickets and a yearly sub to Access Munster.

Great value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not sure if there's anything to this and I suppose a lot would depend on whether Frisch sees out the rest of his contract or not,

It was mentioned on MFs but seems to be speculation

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Very much so..

You'd imagine they'd only be in the market for a centre should Frisch seek to move away at the end of this season rather than see out his contract.

Also , I have no idea of the status of Kellys contract in Leicester or whether he's interested in moving to Ireland so all speculation.

But if available and interested , he'd potentially be a good signing .He's back to being IQ at the end of this year (assuming he doesn't get picked for England again in the interim) and is a pretty decent player and still only 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Is Karl Martin out of contract with Montpellier any time soon? Could be a shrewd IQ signing

To be honest , beyond that one game a couple of years ago when he started for them against Leinster in the European cup I haven't heard a thing about him.

Just had a quick look online for stats and he has only started 2 games and subbed once for Montpellier in total in the 3 years he's been there.

That doesn't feel like a guy that has made the step up from his under-age potential unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

11 games for €333, €30 a game

I got the Thomond pack for myself and the child, both seated for 8 games, €315.50 - works out a little under €40 for the 2 of us

Without starting a whole discussion on the recent usage of IQ players that could also play for another country, I wonder would it play on the minds of someone like Kelly.

The other side of the coin is the market here seems to be a bit more stable than the Premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes I agree, longer term we can now focus on the URC, if we play our cards right for the next 5 games a top 2 finish won't be out of our grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I find it hard to see Kendellen making much of an impact at international level, which is a shame because his performances at u20 level were some of the best I've ever seen. It's not clear right now what his best position or his points of difference are. He has loads of experience already, I don't see him improving majorly just by playing more.

I see his ceiling as a Billy Holland type club captain, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, even reaching that status will be difficult for him with the back row talent Munster are churning out. There are considerably better athletes than him at 6 (Ahern), 7 (Hodnett, Quinn), and 8 (Coombes, Gleeson, Edogbo, Murphy).

My perception of him has been that he's still trying to find his identity as a player, hence the O'Mahony type hard man act which I don't think suited him particularly well. I think JVDF would be a better mould for him to try fit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think I started that rumour the other day. Pay no attention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

He's stagnated a little bit alight in the past year but is still plenty young. Maybe 7 is where he should focus on, we've Hodnett and who is next in line after that? Quinn I guess? 6 and 8 are pretty stacked for the years to come.

I'd agree, can see him taking on the Mick O'Driscoll/Billy Holland/Jack O'Donoghue club captain role for the not so glamour games… nothing wrong with that either, invaluable players who lead teams through sticky matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭50HX

I see new bound signing Kilgallon is out for the remainder of the season....shoulder surgery.

Hope that's it on the op table for him & he's good to go nxt season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

"…Munster will hope World Cup-winning second row Kleyn recovers fully from eye surgery"

Not all that positive sounding from Murray Kinsella in his article assessing where Munster go from here. He also says at least two more new signings are expected ahead of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

He's recovered from the eye issue. It was knee surgery operation that has kept him out for the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, Murray has that wrong. He didn't have surgery on the eye. It was taking longer than they first expected to clear up so they decided to sort out a long standing knee issue at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Murray had plenty wrong in that article. The quality of his works dropped off massively

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If Frisch has any of his contract paid by the IRFU as part of a development program, then as soon as he's NIQ, the IRFU will be paying a salary for the French rugby union which they do not want to do.

Munster having to pay more for a player who is leaving at the end of the season and may not be as motivated to push hard for Munster is not ideal and all the signs at the moment is that Frisch won't see the end of his contract and we'll lose him at the end of the URC campaign.

Must be very frustrating given that all the IRFU had to do was cap him in a pre-world cup warm-up game instead of a meaningless 'Emerging ireland' tour and Munster wouldn't be stuck with trying to sign another Irish qualified centre with short notice to replace him. Its very unlikely that we'll be able to find someone of international standard to replace him at this short notice.

Another tier 1 Munster player who was central to our plans for next season being lost

But hey ho, that's the joys of being a Munster fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If Frisch has yet to be capped - and may never be capped- for France but has already (allegedly, per the Examiner) been in discussions with Toulon, maybe the guy just wants to go home?

Capping him once for Ireland means he's can't play for France but it doesn't mean he's bound to stay in Ireland. Toulon don't care who caps him, he's JIFF either way.

I'd like to see SOB get a start in the centre, see what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Why do you insist on coming in here and telling us that the reason why people are doing things, are some ulterior motive, and not the blatantly obvious reasons.

Frisch came to Ireland because he was offered a role in a top european club with the prospect of becoming an International player

Frisch said he wanted to play for Ireland

Frisch played for Emerging Ireland

Frisch said he wanted to be included in the Irish world cup panel

Farrell and his team ignored him

France kept in contact with him

France Called him up to international camp

Frish declared he is now interested in playing for France after he has allegedly been given assurances he will be capped over the summer

The IRFU tell Munster that they won't support a re-contracting of Frisch as this would mean we have 2 NIQ centres so we'd need to either choose him or Nankivell

In comes the poster who admits he knows nothing about rugby to offer an alternative explanation, that Frisch just misses home and wants to live in Toulon despite Toulon being on the other side of the country to Fontainbleau where he was raised.

To be fair "Farrell and his team ignored him" isn't at all accurate.

Not picking him is not the same as "ignoring him".

Rightly or wrongly they decided that he wasn't good enough to make the squad and also decided that giving him a cheap cap just to "lock him in" wasn't something they were going to do either.

But none of that is "ignoring" him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Frisch was also very, very bad against Northampton in Munster's biggest game this season. Ireland simply aren't going to miss him which is why he wasn't capped. That has an impact on Munster which is unfortunate but the Irish team are never going to select players on that basis. It just is what it is.

Well, they may have looked at him but they didn't have much contact with him either.

The last official word we had from the national coaches was they'd wait and see what happens next week, that was the week that Frisch went to the training camp.

Wouldn't encourage many more in the Kleyn/Frisch boat to come to Ireland in the hope of breaking into the Irish squad.

Without rehashing the tour to SA here, let's wait and see how many "emerging" players they'll bring on tours or AIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭50HX

We have no idea what the contact was between ire coaches & frisch

They looked at him & deemed him not a fit, otherwise he'd be in

Maybe he has been told he's not in the immediate plan & he rightly then has the decision to move on to his home country.

It's all crystal ball reading between the lines stuff.

Either way it's a balls for us

He's had a dip in form but I liked the partnership with nankavell

• Advertisement

It should also be pointed out that based on the latest information , the French tour this summer will essentially be an "emerging France" squad as they are planning to leave all the current front-line squad at home so the offer to Frisch in terms of inclusion doesn't seem all that different to the opportunity he had with Ireland albeit with the caveat that he may pick up an actual snr cap in the process due to how France are doing it.

Advertisement