Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Where are you getting the notion that Arafat was a religous fanatic? You do realise that the PLO were/are in the main secular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭TokTik

Iran wouldn’t be “attacking” israel, they’d be defending themselves. israel have already attacked Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Iran is funding proxies through Hamas and Hezbollah to strike Israel. Iran is complicit as the casus belli of this war, and so Israel has every right to defend itself by attacking Iranian forces.

Iran is promoting radical extremist ideology which includes the idea that Israel should be wiped off the map.

Iran aren't defending themselves. They're just anti-Semitic and would remain anti-Semitic even if a Palestinian state were established.

Israel was every right to combat the threat to their existence posed from Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The regime are angry with Simon Harris and his comments to the Dáil (which suggests he is off to a good start on Israel).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How many times did nationalists vote for Sinn Fein during the troubles? They were the political wing of a terrorist organisation. And that terrorist organisation comitted horrific atrocities. They threw bombs into bars and resteraunts. They bombed hotels and shopping streets. More catholics were killed by the IRA than were killed by the british army. And they refused to recognise the existence of northern Ireland. SF still refuse to take seats in parliament. And for yewars they even refused to officially recognise the existance of the freestate and later the republic.

I won't say Irish people understand what it's like to be Palestinian, but we're closer to an understanding than most European countries.

The people of Palestine have been occupied and abused for decades. I despise Hamas but Hamas were only elected after the PLO failed to make any progress. Palestinians had tried the path of secular political parties and it failed. I honestly can'y say that if I'd grown up in gaza i would not have voted for them. They same way, even thought I despise SF, I might have voted for them if I'd grown up in Belfast before/during the troubles.

BTW, Christians have been killing each other for far longer than muslims. And probably in far greater numbers. Our own country is an example of that where one christian sect dominated another. Jews were killing each other long before christianity came around. Right wing christians are funding settlements in the occupied territories because they believe it will bring about the end of the world. Jewish settlers are ultra right wing people who believe that thousands of years ago God gave them a define right to land that other people are living on. They killed over 100 children in the west bank in 2023. Will you give Christians and jews the same treatment criticism you give Muslims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I do think he should have mentioned the hostages but I don't like that Israel, and a few of their supporters,go through speeches to nick pick on phrases or omissions, while they willfully continue to kill thousands of civilians. International politics really is farcical. Exemplified by israels carryon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/04/11/israeli-ambassador-dana-erlich-a-unilateral-recognition-of-a-palestinian-state-at-this-point-sends-a-dangerous-signal/

The Irish Times is publishing propaganda of the Israeli state. Whilst I don’t agree with the expulsion of the ambassador, this still rankles.

As expected, not once does Dana Erlich acknowledge the deaths of 33,000+ Palestinians at the hands of her government. Every single thing is the fault of Hamas. It really is utterly shameful and immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"
    The people of Palestine have been occupied and abused for decades. I despise Hamas but Hamas were only elected after the PLO failed to make any progress. Palestinians had tried the path of secular political parties and it failed. I honestly can'y say that if I'd grown up in gaza i would not have voted for them. They same way, even thought I despise SF, I might have voted for them if I'd grown up in Belfast before/during the troubles."

Hamas were briefly in government with Fatah. Then, they killed the Fatah politicians.

Lest we forget, the PLO/Fatah are responsible for the Munich massacre in 1972

I think the letter only makes Dana Erlich look bad. The Israelis seem clueless at PR . To be honest Dana would be in good company in this thread with others not acknowledging the ongoing deaths of Palestinians in Gaza

She was accurate and concise about the issues she wanted to bring up. Why was she banned from the FG Ard Fheis? If you're looking for 'what wasn't said,' she's mentioned plenty of things Ireland could have said since after 7 October and haven't. Barely a peep out of Ireland criticising Hamas.

Russia is making war on Europe, the Russian embassy is a nest of spies, yet, no cry to expel the Russian ambassador whose country is taking action directly against Irish interests.

(TBF, some Boardsies have called on the Russian ambassador to be expelled and the embassy closed.)

And, what would Ireland be saying if that Irish girl hadn't been released in the November round of hostage release? Almost as if Hamas knew her nationality…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

let him target Hamas too while he’s at it- bunch of terrorists

It was pretty pathetic of Harris to not even mention the hostages, especially after all the news about the Irish girl Emily Hand who was covered extensively in the press here, then released in November.

Hamas leaders probably assume they're dead once the hostages are released. I doubt they're in a hurry and they obviously don't care who gets killed.

She is a representative of a country that has killed 13k children in the last six months. Maybe she should complain about that rather than not being invited to the FG Ardfheis. It is completely tone deaf to complain about what other counties have said or not said when your county's action are so much worse.

I'm not asking for her to be expelled or are FG so I don't get your reference to Russia. I would say she would have got a frosty reception at the ard fheis if she would have been invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nothing unique to Biden, he's made his thoughts clear but being an election year has limited his scope for practical action. That POS Johnson, the Republican speaker, is literally willing to let Russia have Ukraine with a likely death toll in the millions and a refugee crisis the likes of which the world has never seen, all to help Trump get re-elected.

ah yeah I get that - but considering our neutrality stance or what’s left of it, a bit of balance would help here in terms of optics - only calling out Israel again and again and not ever referring to the atrocities of Hamas when whole countries are calling for the destruction of Israel gives the impression at least that Ireland is “siding” - we’ve absolutely nothing to gain from doing that and a lot to lose- asking both sides to turn away from violence and to allow dialogue to commence is the typical non statement we should stick to - call out atrocities by all means but call out both sides - there’s nothing wrong with saying Hamas original acts last year was murder but now Israel is heading towards genocide - both are wrong

when you see it written down in simple black and white like that it’s a fcked up world isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Harris did address the hostages and the Hamas attacks in his speech to the Ard Fheis on Saturday:

"In Gaza we see a humanitarian catastrophe worsen before our eyes.

We condemn the massacre carried out by Hamas in October and again call for the release of all hostages.

But we cannot stay silent on the actions of Israel either."

fair enough -I guess all I’m seeing or hearing is the criticism of Israel- thanks for highlighting that it’s good to know - maybe he should consider prepositioning each criticism of Israel though with something similar - otherwise he’ll be rightly accused of just siding and really I don’t think it’s that simple - with Russia yes it is that simple but with this particular conflict I think we need to balance statements every time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That he said it doesn't matter. It isn't a good faith argument in the first place. The zionists will bring it up ad nauseam regardless. Pure deflection and attempt to own and profit off the suffering of others at a point in time

So, you're OK with Harris not mentioning the hostages in Gaza?

Because the ambassador's not wrong for criticising him for that.

• Advertisement

No doubt after the Ambassador called him up on it for his speech to the Dail on Tuesday.

And, wouldn't it have been more effective for him to have the Ambassador present at the Ard Fheis to hear it?

Yep, shout down those that disagree. It's completely good faith - he DID NOT mention the hostages in the Dail speech on Tuesday. Full stop.

He apparently wised up in the Ard Fheis speech.

Anything else he should have mentioned? Apparently a Jewish man was told he was wearing a funny looking hat on Sackville Street in 1903. His feelings were a bit hurt and there has not been a sustained system of regular government apology for that incident yet.

Are we back to the "you can't criticize the Israeli State unless and until you can prove you've criticised every other random event in history that I've decided you have to criticise first" 😂

Perhaps he should have criticized the IDF for murdering many Israeli civilians on October 7th too? Because they did. Yet you have never brought up that no Irish politician has ever criticised them for that. But you want to rabbit on about it if they don't repeat something else enough times for your liking.

I already wrote that he should of mentioned the hostages. I believe it was an innocent mistake but someone from Israel is in no position to lecture other countries on what is correct behaviour. I doubt you would be so supportive of the Russian ambassador having a go at our taoiseach for something similar. Israel has lost the run of itself and has no self reflection on its own actions.

The hostages still being held in Gaza would be sufficient. As far as I recall, Leo never 'forgot' to mention them.

Nice whataboutery though. A mention of the Limerick pogrom would be helpful /s

Harris has "mentioned" the hostages. It has been pointed out to you already. Busted flush on that.

However he hasn't mentioned the Israeli citizens deliberately murdered by the IDF under their Hannibal doctrine on October 7th.

In general, murder is seen as worse than being taken hostage - no? Yet those people were murdered and nothing yet from the Irish politicians. Will you join me in calling for the Irish government to condemn the actions of the IDF that day in activating and applying their Hannibal directive?

Do you condemn them for it?

Again, two things can be true: Harris in his Dail address didn't mention hostages. He was called up on this by the Ambassador and subsequently, perhaps independently, did remember to mention the hostages in his condemnation of Israel.

Not sure why you want Ireland to get involved with the actions of the IDF though - Hamas was recorded saying, "Soil them" about female Israeli captives. Should Ireland condemn Hamas for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and the hostages still being held in Israel? What of them?

Advertisement