Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It might be a win win long term if you can extend nankivell and develop someone alongside him. Nankivell is the real special talent.

I'd have tried to keep Frisch onside because that's just the way i think about depth management, even if it meant capping him. However, his form right now isn't great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The sequence of events is important here because once again, people are hammering Farrell for something that may or may not be accurate.

Midi Olympique are reporting that Toulon and La Rochelle are vying to sign him and that an outcome is "close", with Montpellier also interested. If the outcome is close (and again, that's not my speculation, that's what a French rugby newspaper is reporting), then this hasn't just kicked off since last week, and his club contract negotiations would seem to be separate from getting France caps or not.

If he's talking to other clubs with another year left on his contract, does that not tell you something?

And to repeat, if the guy wants to move to a French club, then a token Ireland cap is no barrier to that. Quite the opposite in fact, because it means the French club sign a JIFF player who won't be called up to international duty. Similarly, getting one cap for Ireland and then being relegated back behind Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw, McCloskey, Osborne and Hume is no incentive to stay here. A token cap is no motivation to stay if the player doesn't see a future in the national team.

So yeah, it's equally possible that he's moving to France one way or the other and the international thing is a sideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Easterby's comments would fill you with confidence if you were the player, "lets wait and see what happens next week".

Why wouldn't he look at heading home if he's getting to cold shoulder here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Cause he wants to play for Munster (as in his contract)? Lots of players aren't internationals.

The French national coach seems to have more faith in him than ours.

Players/coaches before him and after him will break contracts.

If it's better for him in the long term to move back to France then why wouldn't he jump at the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Decent discount. Some of the original prices were fairly steep

I tried for the retro jersey when launched and was told they were out of stock, hit it today on sale. Happy out.

phog they have picked him to train in the squad for 2 days. It's literally less than Ireland have done.

Good luck to him if he wants to make a shot of it in France.

He was in the emerging Ireland tour in the autumn of 2022, he was recently in the French camp, with the senior squad.

When questioned recently, Easterby didn't seem to be extending a hard of welcome to him with his "we'll see what happens next week"

You don't even have to read between the lines to see that Ireland have very much given him the cold shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Advertisement

Ireland have had him in camp longer and decided he's not good enough. Bringing him on the EI tour is, functionally, the same as France bringing him on their summer tour - which they haven't done yet. France will likely soon come to the same conclusion. Making this point after he was absolutely awful against NH is hardly good timing.

Its not functionally the same. I can see what you are saying but a senior camp with real caps is better.

A senior camp with real caps is better but if you are resting all your frontline players it is questionable. Though yes, I suppose a 1.5 squad is better than a 2nds squad.

He hasn't even been called up to it yet of course. Also who cares if the French want him more, maybe they are just more in need of deeply mediocre centres (at an international level rather than club level I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

He was also very, very good last season when we won the league. I'm not sure judging him on a game where we'd a depleted squad and illness throughout the camp is fair on him. If Leinster lose this weekend, their biggest game this season, I'm sure there'll be a player who doesn't perform but it wouldn't be fair to hang it on them as their level.

I'd agree that his form hasn't been at its best recently but when you look at his performances as a whole since he joined he's been a very good signing for us and would be a big loss should he leave.

People wanting to see SOB in the centre… he made two very poor reads at the weekend leading to tries, I'd like to see a bit more nous from him defensively before trying him at 13.

I'm guessing here but none of us can even imagine what's it's like to play international sport.

This is the 3rd player Munster are/might be losing because of players wanting that international cap.

Posters can talk them down those players all they want, it's easy when it's not you. The players obviously feel differently. I certainly don't begrudge them, in the same way I don't begrudge players moving on towards the end of their career for a better financial package or different way of life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ufff… I've been loathe to post here lately, but here's the thing in all of this.

@Munster fans:

I don't think Andy Farrell has made an enormous error here. I understand the capture-cap reasoning, but I wouldn't like us to go down that road. I just think Ringrose, Henshaw, Aki and McCloskey are all objectively better players.

I also don't think, prior to the RWC, he made an error with Haley given the squad restrictions. I'd like to see that change come, at least, the AI's. (For me, Kleyn was his biggest error).

@Non-Munster fans:

Munster don't have the depth beyond their 15/23. Retaining their starters is really important. Also, building familiarity with the players around you is really important. Potentially moreso in the style of attack Munster want to deploy.

But Munster losing a player from our 15/23 has happened a number of times now in the recent past. I can completely understand Munster fans getting very annoyed at this point.

@Podge_irl you mentioned the Frisch situation is "unfortunate". This happening once is unfortunate. But with Healy, Frisch, Kleyn (and the knock-on impact with Snyman), this feels more than just unfortunate.

@Former Former Former your "I'd like to see SOB get a start in the centre, see what he can do." just reads as a little casual (and I appreciate it wasn;t meant that way). We're losing a starter here, who was fundamental in our URC win last season, and is a very good fit to our style of play.

As well as SOB has been playing on the wing of late, I just don't think he has the attributes Frisch brings in attack. It also doesn't mean everyone is attacking Farrell.

(Fwiw, there were similar comments earlier in the thread along the lines of "I'm sure Munster would survive without [Hodnett and Coombes]"). That stuff is going to irk Munster fans, and I can understand why tbh.

One final point - if there is an increasing perception within squads that it's more difficult to get into Ireland camp / get Ireland caps than it is with Leinster because of continuity, cohesion, familiarly with each other / systems etc. (and there seems to be an increasing perception of this within fanbases) then that is an issue / potential issue down the line, whether with fanbases and/or players.

I'm not sure how to fix it, and I'm not saying it's even Andy Farrell's job to fix, but it is an issue.

Now, can't we all just get along? Back into hibernation with me…

I very much doubt any of these are solely or even mostly due to international caps:

• Healy - faced very low likelihood at becoming a starter at Munster. Was seen by Munster coaches as third choice and the new starter for province and Ireland who was looking great was younger than him.
    • Kleyn - IRFU made an exception so he wasn't lost due to his caps. For Snyman, even if IRFU gave Munster an exemption to give an NIQ a third contract, many would have seen them as crazy to extend Snyman again, given injury history and the young talent coming through that he and Kleyn would block.
    • Frisch - No surprise that a Frenchman wanting to go home to France. He never played Top 14 and this is probably the first time where he has the opportunity to play at home without it impacting his earnings. Reaching an age where young people tend to go home and want to settle down.

The whole the focus on international caps is lazy explanation that suits a certain narrative some love to push but for each there is clearly loads more going on.

#lazy

Apparently.

Occam's razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

hes far from mediocre, whether hes international quality or not might be up for debate but he is definitely not 'mediocre' - munster probably dont win the urc last season without him

@aloooof It's very unfortunate? I do get the frustration, but I think it is worth stepping back to try and look at it and realise it's not some conspiracy which is what the discussion veers towards at times.

I will absolutely agree on Kleyn to a point. I think if he had shown the form he showed last year just a few months earlier he would have been in the squad - or at least in contention for it. Farrell decided to stick to his selected squad for the whole of last season for good or ill (albeit with the exception of McCarthy which partly throws my argument out I'll admit). However, while I think it's largely just unfortunate I will happily acknowledge that I can see an alternate reality where he had a smattering of caps. I'm not convinced Snyman would have stayed either way mind you - would the 1014 club folk have been happy to put yet more money against someone who never played?

I don't particularly think Healy would have had any interest in being second choice at Munster anyway. I just don't understand how you can argue Farrell was ignoring a Munster player when he essentially plucked Crowley out from the depth charts to start against Australia. AF just thought Crowley was better and frankly he was correct. I mean he jumped Crowley straight in ahead of the more conservative selection of Ross Byrne! And frankly, I just don't rate him that much anyway - he strikes me as a player who had a few months of being incredibly in form but will never repeat that. And Frisch just isn't good enough as you've said yourself.

The reality is Munster have had a glut of borderline international players who Ireland, in their current run, have not seen the need to cap. In a different era where Ireland were not doing as well or had more injuries etc etc who knows. I also think this is not unrelated to Munster's general level of performance in the URC and EPCR - they are capable of runs like the win last seasons but it is clear they are not a complete squad for whatever reason.

As to the perception of Leinster players getting in easier, I understand that one. I think Haley should have been brought in when Keenan was ruled out, but I think the fact they thought he might be fit played a factor there and Larmour was just drafted in as a 24th man - a position Haley can't really fill. And I will happily admit I don't get the Frawley love in. I think there is a balance to strike that is probably slightly off-kilter at the moment.

• Advertisement

I literally said mediocre at an international level…

He was excellent last year. He has been relatively meh this year whenever I've seen him - which is less than most Munster fans I suspect admittedly.

Feel my points are much closer to Occam's razor than trying to shoehorn international caps as the main cause of every player decision.

1. Third choice OH moves to a club where he is promised to be the starter.
    2. Expensive second row can't stay fit isn't kept on when young players are coming through in that position and they have other needs.
    3. Frenchman pushes for a move home to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

it read as french national team rather than the french clubs, might be in need of mediocre centres. i understand now how you meant it, but i still think its an unfair label

he's largely been quite good when available this year even if hes not hitting the highs of last season

If i was to step inside the french coaching staff heads is that they think they can acquire a toolsy guy to use a baseball term with a smallish chance of being useful internationally for the price of a cap.

It basically comes down to in my opinion them seeing international rugby differently and what caps are value wise differently.

Whatever about anything else, the suggestion that internatial caps weren't the main reason for Healy leaving is so far removed from the reality.

And they clearly were for Rugby World Cup winner, Jean Kleyn (to give him his official title); and the JK situation is clearly intertwined with Snyman.

Well, Galthie has yet to actually cap Frisch or even call him up to a proper squad.

And is a lot of this conversation not based on the fact that France will be without a lot of their frontliners for the tour to Argentina, because of Top 14 playoffs?

So we seem to be praising France and hammering Farrell for something that may or may not happen, for reasons that may or may not be accurate?

For context - the last time Ireland went to Argentina (2014), our centres were Darren Cave, Luke Marshall, Fergus McFadden and Noel Reid. Did Joe see these guys as 'toolsy' or was it just because D'Arcy and Henshaw were injured, BOD had retired and Payne wasn't IQ yet?

I just don't understand how you can argue Farrell was ignoring a Munster player

Fwiw, that's not what I was arguing with regards Healy. My point was more if you take all the events together (Kleyn, Snyman, Healy, now Frisch, injuries etc.), it's an otherworldly level of bad luck.

If that's met with "this is a risk when you don't develop your own players" and "I'd like to see what SOB can do", it just reads as dismissive of Munster losing 1st choice players.

I'm around here long enough to remember hand-wringing when Roman Salanoa left Leinster, a guy who had 3 sub appearances. It was coloured by Aungier also leaving at the same time, but it was still 3rd and 4th choice guys.

With regards the perception of Leinster players having an easier pathway, I don't want to single out anyone, but I'm around here long enough to remember a regular poster saying they'd believe it if guys like Molony and Ed Byrne got picked. Then Molony and Ed Byrne got picked. They didn't change their opinion.

When you look at the NIQ rules, coupled with the imbalance of the central contracts, I think it's pretty understandable why some Munster fans are beyond just saying "it's unfortunate".

Ross Molony isn't capped? And there are rumours he is English qualified, not sure if true, and he's off to an English team 😁

it's an otherworldly level of bad luck.

I mean, yes it is. If that is the complaint I am fully on board and I think people should vent and rage about it as much as they want. What I think is silly is blaming the IRFU or Andy Farrell for it.

I also still think you're far better off with Crowley and Burns than Crowley and Healy so that has worked out as well as it could.

Molony has never been picked for Ireland. All the arguments about Healy, Haley, Frisch moving abroad you could equally apply to him, no? Why should he stick around when he's getting the cold shoulder, he'll go to England and play for them, big loss to Leinster but Farrell doesn't care etc etc?

The reality is that he's not good enough for Ireland (or England), so what can we do, best of luck to him, and I don't think anyone has said different?

Edit: And I'm not being dismissive of losing Frisch, but if the guy wants to leave then maybe there's a positive to be found in there. Yeah he's first choice but I don't PERSONALLY think he's good enough to be first choice for a team with designs on being at the business end of the European Cup. So maybe SOB gets a run and turns out to be OK, maybe he's not and Munster go back to the market.

Say what you want about the IRFU but they have not been shy about allowing Munster to import quality centres - Nankivell, Fekitoa, de Allende, Farrell - so I wouldn't panic at all.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Advertisement
Advertisement