Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How is 12 points ahead of where they where 'where they started'?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I really am beginning to think SF won't be in the next goverment at all. Down South they really don't know how to work in a coalition in a cross collegiate way. They refused to get involved with Water charges, marriage equality and Repeal until the last minute. Their activists and reps often didn't really engage with cross party campaigns on marriage equality and Repeal. On councils Their council members are all whipped/instructed by HQ way more than any other party. In councils they rarely work together in cross collegiate ways. I just see them as being so obsessed with themselves in the 26 counties that they wouldn't have the first clue at all about how to be in a coalition government.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭pureza

I'm refering to their GE position,as well you and everyone else reading this know(s)

They reached 23% then,they're at 23% now 4 years later

If you'd like to discuss EU parliament comparisons,theres a thread for that

This one is titled 'how do they form a government'

Answer-At 20% behind the current government ,they'd want to be magicians

Are they back to where they started at the last GE or not? And how is that not a disappointment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Yes, absolutely. They would have found a way - instead of relapsing into blaming others for their failures. It's the difference between professionals and amateurs.

If I can find another comparison; contrast the Nancy Pelosi speakership where she exerted iron control over a fractious caucus and got things done, versus the current Republican sh!tshow where they can't get anything done and keep trying to defenestrate their own Speaker! Professionals, Amateurs.

• Advertisement

So the two main parties effectively lock them out, won't even enter negotiations and they are supposed to find 'a way'.

Waiting with bated breath to find out how they might have done that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭pureza

I posted the latest poll on party voting intentions

It's irrelevant which election they were asking about unless you want to avoid what it says,20% behind government parties after 4 years of being the main opposition would be in any analysis pretty disappointing n'est pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Your job, as an allegedly serious party, is to find a way to get into government and enact your agenda. (if that's not the case, then what's the point?)

There was no real attempt to make this happen in 2020, despite being numerically the largest party. Maybe a little bit of self-awareness about this rather than seeking to reflexively blame other parties?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No one is "locking" anyone out of anything.

Following the election if no single group has obtained an overall majority then each group if free to go an open negotiations with anyone and everyone to see if they can arrive at a collective majority.

Doing that will require an alignment on a Program for Government and an agreed distribution of roles and responsibilities.

Each group have their "minimum requirements" to be willing to go into Government - If Sinn Fein are unable to work to an equitable solution where all parties are comfortable with the deal then that is as much their failure as anyone else.

Just because Sinn Fein (or anyone else) is the single largest party it does not provide any "right" to form a government.

No one is "locking" anyone out of anything.

Not putting a tooth in it, but refusing to negotiate is effectively a lock out. Especially when someone is criticising them for 'not finding a way'. There was 'no way' when parties refused to talk.

At no point have I ever said they had a 'right' to govern either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.thejournal.ie/meps-to-vote-on-eu-migration-pact-6350472-Apr2024/

Chris McManus on his own doing his best to make sure that Sinn Fein are unelectable.

When one of the major issues in this country is managing migration, he votes against all European proposals to give nation states more controls over their borders. Even the Greens, who have been blamed on here for all immigration ills, managed to vote in favour of two of the ten measures.

It is now clear that if you uncontrolled immigration, Sinn Fein is the party to vote for. Can't really see that going down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Mary Lou and Sinn Fein at work again, blocking apartments in the middle of a housing crisis

The party is a disgrace, how it is allowed for someone from Foxrock to bring the case with the help of Sinn Fein is beyond me

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/developer-loses-appeal-to-save-planning-permission-for-1593-dublin-rental-apartments-1612221.html

A housing crisis is not a charter for bad planning or developers out for a fast buck.
    Simple as that.

Well done all involved here. Greed/bad planning has destroyed quite enough of our architectural heritage.

P.S. try to understand the planning process, just because two separate people object does not mean they are ‘helping’ each other. Conspiracy theories is a different forum.

Wow, you think Sinn Fein are right to block houses 😂

Sinn Fein are the most corrupt cynical political party on this island. They are only objecting to developments to stop the government. Their only interest is in themselves, they have no feeling for the people. Those houses would have been homes to hundreds of people.

Absolutely if it is bad planning.
    Your Supreme Court agrees.

Yeah it's get as many people onto the streets as possible

In an area of Dublin which Doctors/nurses/students etc are all desperate for accomodations

I wonder will Mary Lou come out with one of her Dear Deirdre letter from a nurse who could have lived in this accomodation but can't now.

Don't bother quoting me, if I wanted to hear Sinn Fein propaganda I could find it myself

They talk out of both sides of their mouth on every issue.

Look at immigration. Throwing crumbs to the far right while at the same time Chris McManus votes against measures that will address the issue.

So just build anything you want where you want?

This objection was fully tested and rightly declined. Imagine the state of the country if you just allow a free for all. Ridiculous

• Advertisement

Sending on Pearse with the faux outrage act to talk about immigration on the day Simon Harris took over was incredibly embarrassing.

Incompetence from top to bottom.

If Sinn Fein had been shut down years ago from blocking developments we wouldn't have as big a crisis we have now, the mess they made in DCC for 5 years is still trying to be resolved.

Sending on Pearse with the faux outrage act to talk about immigration on the day Simon Harris took over was incredibly embarrassing.

What was the connection there?

Was there an embargo on talking about immigration because Simon was taking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Pearse Doherty is becoming a liability. Just the sort of bleak and unrelenting negativity that sums up SF these days. Shouting for 30 second TikTok videos. Found out the odd time he appears on tv or radio, especially with his very poor grasp of detail.
    If I was Louise O’Reilly, Pa Daly, Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire etc then I’d be thinking that it might be time for a new leadership. They don’t get to decide that obviously, but they surely realise the tide is going out with the current inner circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Field east

it was the voters who decided the make up of the current government. SF had the numbers if it wanted to form a gov but failed to negotiate same, I wonder why? I would be very happy if the current failing/failed/ confused/lost/ gutless/no strategy/ no plans/ etc, etc, etc, etc government were returned in the next GE if it continued to run an economy along the current lines re rude economic health, very low unemployment, significant annual savings for the rainy day, satisfactory handling of MAJOR one off issues eg Covid, BREXIT, recovery from the recent depression

it was the voters who decided the make up of the current government.

Voters voted for 'parties'. They didn't decide diddly squat about the formation of the government because one of those parties was telling them they 'would never coalesce with FG' and the other was telling them that 'putting FF back in would be akin to putting Delaney back in charge of the FAI'. Seems to me that that has cost FF 5 percentage points or thereabouts and the 20% FG voters seem to be happy with the arrangement.

When SF was riding high in the polls at 34/35 percent then they were probably thinking about which constituencies they would run 2 or even 3 candidates in. At 24% and being transfer toxic they now have a different problem on their hands. If they drop below 20% at any stage then the Mary Lou, Pearse, Eoin team will have to be taken out by the leadership.

When SF was riding high in the polls at 34/35 percent then they were probably thinking about which constituencies they would run 2 or even 3 candidates in.

Funny, I thought they were thinking that when they achieved 24% in the GE not when they hit the highs of 34/35%. Was that not the big talking point - that they should have run more candidates.

Party president Mary Lou McDonald acknowledged that Sinn Fein might have done things differently with hindsight.

“I am advised I should have had a running mate in my own constituency, that’s for sure,” she joked, after topping the poll with lots to spare in Dublin Central.

“We certainly could have fielded another candidate, but hindsight is a great thing. I’m just delighted that the candidates that we did run have performed so astonishingly well and have come back so strongly.”

Sinn Fein’s Donnchadh O Laoghaire, who topped the poll in Cork South Central ahead of Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin, was taken aback by the results.

“Yes I was surprised, that is the truthful answer, we weren’t expecting a vote like this,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Pearse was on morning Ireland and came across as a very angry man. They all seem be getting more angry as they go along...

• Advertisement

Didn’t catch that. I tend not to listen to him these days. It’s not like he has anything new or relevant to say. Same when you see clips from the Dáil. There will be Pearse, ashen-faced, doing his shouting, pointing his finger, waving sheets of paper thing. It will be boring, abrasive and contain nothing new.

Advertisement