Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just hope Fury has zip in him, Losing lots of weight can can be counter productive to speed & power
    Held want to be doing the weigh loss pre his actually camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

well he was down to 18st 6 before the latest camp started and he surely won’t be any lighter than that for the fight if anything he will be heavier

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Watched the press conference. Still no idea why it happened. Odd

On Tyson’s weight, if I recall for fight 1 v Wilder he was light, and he got the two wins v Wilder, considerably heavier. But still performed well in all 3 bouts

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ok checked some weights and he was around that quite a number of times. When he fought Ngannou he was 19, 9 I think. That’s a fair loss if true in a short timeframe. I reckon he will come in around 19. There will be some headbutt, forearm and leaning going on in that fight. Why take on Usyk at a technique-off? Who gave him the most problems? Probably Chisora and that was by using his own advantages. I think Fury will go at it that way after a round or two

I checked. Tyson was 256 v Wilder 1. He did not really try impose physical weight and strength. He was more fleet-footed and tried out-slicking; when he was considerably heavier in fights 2 and 3 he used this to physically impose himself on Wilder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair the first Wilder fight he was still on the road to losing the massive weight he had put on in the 2 year absence , According to Big John he coulnd't punch his way out of a paper bag at the time

John is much like Tyson and he talks absolute **** 95% of the time, he wanted rid of Ben Davison and blamed him for Tyson being weight drained against wallin but Tyson was never a knock out artist

If fury wasn’t cut he would have handled wallin better obviously but these things happen and he still got the win

Working with Gregg Marriott will make the world of difference for Tyson losing weight, as we know you can do it right or wrong.

Hard to know with any real certainty what is best weight strategy for Fury. Come in heavy and burly and hope to really use the 50 -60 lbs weight over Usyk to get close and bully, maul and drown.

Possible downside here is Fury being little slower and little more ponderous on is feet, resulting in him not being able to get close all that well

Or he could come in in the 250s, light, more fleet-footed and speedy on his feet allowing him to compete outside as good as inside…

Then Usyk's talents need to be looked at. Can Usyk use Fury's size against Fury? And if so, how?

• Advertisement

I just hope it is a good fight and they don’t cancel each other out

that’s the thing. From looking at Fury his tactic is to be slimmer and fleeter of the feet. The mauling and dragging is ok but he’s then depending on a referee who is happy to allow him to ruin the spectacle. I don’t see this happen against a CW in Usyk. I think he will always have the spoiler tactic should he want to utilise it against Usyk. Likely that he will use some rough tactics but not entirely. If he got docked a point early in the fight or a kd then he has a lot to do. I’d expect Usyk to be throwing an odd overhand right along with the long left hook. I think that’s his chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Honestly I think it's primed to be an absolute stinker.

Hope I'm wrong though. Anything other than 12rds of feinting and clinching.

Ah lads no one knows what it’ll be like but the fact that it’s for the biggest prize in boxing is more than enough. The fact (hopefully) it’s happening is fantastic.

Ajagba and Anderson are both on tonight. I reckon both come through and then face each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah no one knows.

All we do know is Fury will win 😁

Reports that Anderdon just beat up on a punch-bag last night. Might give that watch a miss

• Advertisement

Aye I recorded it but it was a total stinker so delete. Not exactly Anderson’s own fault. I actually considered getting up for those two fights. God guided me well there!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Cruiserweight who just came to survive and not try to win. Meh.

what’s the motivation for a guy like that? Is he thinking he can get a name for himself as someone who will guarantee rounds for prospects and get put on cards that way? Bit odd for me. Fights like that are such stinkers and hard to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Zhang vs Wilder and Hrigovic vs Dubois officially announced for the Bivol vs Beterbiev undercard on June 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

There are really no decent prospects at HW at the moment, Anderson is pretty meh and he was supposed to be the next American HW.

• Advertisement

that’s a brilliant card! Nick Ball who’d have ever thought it!

How about Bahkhodir Jalolov or Dubois? What you look at how Wlad transformed there’s loads in those lads. Kayaal, Sanchez and Hrgovic are all in their early 30s and others will emerge. Itouma is exciting yea we wont know much for a few years. With HW they kinda need to be at least late 20s before they’re ready to be at the top end. Be patient!

Wilder talkin shite again. He’s back to being mean. I think he will come through a couple of knockdowns to possibly win with a stoppage. He will have a huge speed advantage but SP will be very unnatural for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Money. Probably made a lot more than he usually would fighting as a crusier. Tuck up, survive and collect your money.

owl Groves still thinking Fury a genuine possibility of pulling out May 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭reclose

Just he believes Fury never fancied it, and would rather take his chances v AJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Think fury knows he can't pull out. Major tarnish on his legacy if he did. Usyk wasn't great in his last fight either. V hard to call. Both past their prime I reckon.

himself and Carl froch say anything to make them hit the headlines and boost ratings

• Advertisement

What was wrong with Usyk in the fight against dubois ? Did he lose a single round ?

impossible to say when Fury’s prime was or is. His body will be battle scarred or hardened by now. Wlad fight he may have been at his most energetic but Wilder 2 most destructive. His prime as an athlete and boxer are different things. I’m thinking along the lines of Lewis and Foreman. Very different and more effective fighters later in their careers. That’s how it often is with. HW except the smaller all action guys like Tyson.
    groves and froch will have digs at Fury every time they’re asked. I think it will happen now I’d be on 80-20 about but don’t be shocked if there is a twist

Uysk won nearly every round in his last fight.

nobody in their right mind would walk away from 100m prize money with a 10m fine even if they have aren’t fight ready

Still didn't think he was great. Lot them rounds close enough. Usyk gets hit quite a bit.

Yes wilder 2 appears his best performance. He's in great nick so no excuses about training camps anyway. If he is any of the 3 wilder versions, he wins imo.

I’d be 75-25 confident the fight happens

Usyk has a really good chance if Fury’s feet are a bit slow..if Fury is fast of feet and energetic, he has a great chance.

for wilder 3 he didn’t train properly apparently, he was sleeping on the floor at the hospital and jogging around a local park

Fury said if he loses he won’t make any excuses he’s clearly not up to it

• Advertisement

Boxers never make excuses….😖

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hrgovic told be ready to step in to bust up Usyk if Fury pulls out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And Hrgovic is probably the fight Usyk doesn't want. I think I'd be a close and great fight.

I would worry for Fury that little bit more if he’s in good nick. In a way it shows how seriously he takes the threat of Usyk. It’s going to happen suddenly enough that Fury will turn into an old man overnight in the ring. A sharp and mobile version of him I think has far too much for Usyk as great as he is. If his reflexes are off and we have a strong willed referee then he will have a long night. Dealing with Wilder now looks like less of an achievement. Wlad was well over the hill. His legacy fights should have already happened. Joshua and now Usyk are still the big tests. Joshua didn’t really try to bully Usyk he fought his fight and then fought it a little bit better but didn’t look like winning. Fury will do whatever he has to to win and he will adapt during the fight… if he still has the legs. If his legs are gone that doesn’t mean he can’t win. It’s a great fight. The mounting questions that will be answered are class!

To play devil's advocate here but from a physical perspective isn't Usyk maybe more in danger of aging overnight?

A cruiserweight who has bulked to heavyweight yet still tries to maintain the output of a middleweight. He can't keep this up forever.

Fury is/has been light of foot for a man his size and has good stamina. But he's not lightning fast and never has been it's just compared to the like of Valuev he's money Mayweather.

His lifestyle I'll admit makes him susceptible to this aging overnight thing though.

string rumours for a couple of years that Usyk needs a shoulder operation, age will catch up with both men for sure it will just depend who’s the most skilful on tbe day

• Advertisement

I dont think so. I think a guy who has lived the life for so long and not taken much punishment in the ring will weather much, much better. Fury has had his share of alcohol and other substances along with a poor diet even when he is training. Ballooning in weight more than just once is a huge thing too.

Fury is fast yea but it’s his timing as well that has made him very effective.

Ideally neither will age before this fight I want to see them both perform and then we can have some kind of conversation about greatness.

Maybe rumours surely but he threw well from both hands against Joshua both fights. Id say that shoulder is holding up well.

Andy ruiz v big baby miller august 3rd

What the hell is Ruiz at with himself. That’s a nothing fight. He should be clamouring for fights with people like Parker, Zhang, Hrgovic, Wilder, Dubois. That’s some disappointment

he’s done nothing lately to warrant a big fight really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He hasn't pushed on from his momentum getting the joshua fights.

this will be his 3rd fight in 5 years, is he just hanging around for a named fight?

Compare that to Joe Parker who fought 4 times in 2023 alone to stay active until he got a big name fight (Wilder)

• Advertisement
Advertisement