Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Final 1st Legs
    Thursday 11th April 20:00 Kick-offs
    AC Milan (ITA) V AS Roma (ITA) - Live on TNT Sport 4
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) V West Ham United FC (ENG) - Live on TNT Sport 2
    Liverpool FC (ENG) V Atalanta (ITA) - Live on TNT Sport 1 / Virgin Media Two
    SL Benfica (POR) V Olympique de Marseille (FRA) - Live on TNT Sport 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Incredible save from Kellegher, though he didn't know much about it. But he made himself big and put his head on the line. Looked like a foul on Elliott in the build-up.

Dreadful miss by Nunez.

Elliott just inside the right hand side of the box with a curling left foot effort off the crossbar, off the upright and across the goal. Nobody there to knock it home.

Atalanta have scored against the run of play. Scamacca with a scuffed finish that Kellegher should have saved.

It gets worse the more you see it. The ball went under his outstretched arms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bayer Leverkusen have had 18 shots to 1 and 76% possession. It's been a procession and there's no way they're not scoring a couple in the second half if the game keeps going the way it is.

Liverpool in trouble here, 2-0 down now. They've 29 minutes to try and salvage something.

Salah goal ruled out for offside. Nothing going their way.

Looks like Atalanta have a 3rd goal. Big slice of fortune in this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Delighted with those results. Football was the winner tonight in the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Holy **** just saw the scores what the hell happened at Anfield!?!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Have you always looked for validation from strangers online?

Quarter-Final 1st Leg Results
    AC Milan (ITA) 0 V 1 AS Roma (ITA)
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 2 V 0 West Ham United FC (ENG)
    Liverpool FC (ENG) 0 V 3 Atalanta (ITA)
    SL Benfica (POR) 2 V 1 Olympique de Marseille (FRA)

Quarter-Final 2nd Legs
    Thursday 18th April 20:00 Kick-offs
    AS Roma (ITA) V AC Milan (ITA) - (Agg 1-0) - Live on TNT Sport 4
    Atalanta (ITA) V Liverpool FC (ENG) - (Agg 3-0) - Live on TNT Sport 1
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA) V SL Benfica (POR) - (Agg 1-2) - Live on TNT Sport
    West Ham United FC (ENG) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) - (Agg 0-2) - Live on TNT Sport 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Liverpool absolute shambles. Atalanta very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Dublin hotels won't be pleased...Gardai about the only ones happy with that result I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Dunno why everyone is surprised with the Atalanta result. The styles of the two teams always made it predictable. It played right into Atalantas hands. You could argue a few seasons ago they were the best team in the world for a time, PSG robbed them in the Champion League, they probably should of won the tournament that year.

Similar to Atleti, don't have the individual talent of others, but have the system and workrate. But to pull that off year in, year out, takes its toll. Similar to Atleti, a fatigue set in in recent years. But on any given day when regrouped, and give a big push, are capable of turning the big teams

Liverpool weren't great, but to say they were a shambles would be disingenuous. They had plenty of chances, Elliott could have scored, hit the crossbar and upright with a shot, Nunez should have had at least one goal, bad miss with just the keeper to beat. Jota had a chance with a header that the cross was just a bit too high, Salah had a goal ruled out for offside.

Liverpool still have a load of injuries and the players that are back aren't fully fit, Salah, Jones, Robertson, Szoboszlai, Jota. They don't start and if they do, they don't last 90 minutes.

Atalanta played well and maybe could have a couple more if it weren't for Kellegher. But there was good fortune for their goals. Kellegher should have saved the first goal, the other 2 were just about onside with the 3rd deflected nicely into their path.

The atmosphere wasn't right, with the fan protest about the ticket price hikes and no flags in the KOP. They have a mountain to climb in the return leg, an insurmountable one I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

That is an absolutely cracking list of excuses 👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At the end of the game last night on Virgin Media, whoever the analyst was said that "Klopp won't be overly concerned about the defeat as they have come back from similar before", or words to that effect.

I had to think to myself, did he really say that?

Also, seems to be a narrative going around, especially in irish media, that Liverpool played a B team. Listen, all the players at Liverpool should be better than those at 90% of other clubs. Epl has all the money and is the strongest league in Europe by a mile, or so we are constantly told. The starting line up was a strong side. And all their subs, most made no difference.

I think Klopp underestimated Atalanta. He had one eye on the epl run in and it has back fired on him.

Atalanta have not got enough credit over recent seasons. They play a great brand of football, and always try to play attacking. They fully deserved the result last night.

Is the tie over? Who know. If Pool get an early away goal, and were to score a 2nd, it's game on again. But they have to go for it, and will leave chances there for Atalanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Atalanta beat Liverpool in Anfield two or three years ago in the CL so I doubt he under estimated them.

Atalanta played really well. They went man for man on our CMs and spare CB when Kellerher or one of the CBs had the ball. This forced Liverpool to play the ball into the central areas where everyone was marked, go long and wide to the RB/LB on the half way line or long down the middle to the CF. All much riskier than Liverpool normally play and it resulted in more turnovers and lost possessions than I ever remember.

Liverpool weren't allowed to play at all. Saying that I think Klopp got Tsimksas and Jones wrong yesterday. Tsimksas had played about 45 minutes in the last 6-8 weeks and Jones is only back from injury. In my opinion neither were ready for that type of game.

Gakpo was the only one who played well yesterday. Elliot was unlucky to be taken off and I think he should have been moved into midfield for Jones at halftime when he brought on Salah.

Once Endo came off we completely lost any semblance of a midfield and Szoboszlai form has fallen through the floor since he's come back from injury.

I think Kelleher was at fault for 2 of the goals too, but seems to be above criticism on irish tv.

The 3rd goal, they called it a great save. Watch it back, he spilled it and should have held it. Just my opinion of course. Don't think he played well at all last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Listening to the Liverpool fans here at work, and they all agree that he was at fault for 2 goals.

Thanks for spelling his name correctly too, btw. The previous posters can't spell their own international keeper's name. I know I would have to (and did here) google Szoboszlai but we should be able to spell our own lads!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very few of Liverpools players would get a rating of 5 or over, that includes subs. They were rubbish, looked tired and had too many players playing too many minutes just back from injuries. Salah has been fairly crap since he came back. Jones looked very leggy. Jota had 2 months off, can't blame him for being so rusty. Nunez should have but didn't score. Keeper had his worst game in a Liverpool shirt. MacAlister and others were very leggy. etc etc.

Apart from that, Atalanta were super organised and played to a very specific set of tactics and fully deserved the win.

Twice Atalanta left Serie A behind them in recent seasons. Had two slow starts, but for the remaining 3/4 of the season were the form team, battering everyone. Two slow starts cost them two leagues. And were cruely robbed by PSG in the Champions League. They would of won it that year.

As I said before, a lot of miles on the clock there, but when Atalanta get it together, they're as good as anyone in the world imo. British pundits never see this stuff, Atalanta at their best would have the beating of most in the Premier League. We'll see a big improvement in their league form next year

Interestingly, Serie A is almost guaranteed a 5th CL spot next season. I think they need one more win or so.

Then it's a battle between EPL and Bundesliga to get another 5th spot team in.

I think its the strongest league, in terms of the top 8/9 teams. Doesnt have a standout top 3/4, but alot of really strong second tier teams

Liverpool have a penalty coming up on 5 minutes gone.

• Advertisement

Eventually penalty taken by Salah after 7 minutes, 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Villa into the semi's. Martinez did the business in the penos, plus the other players

Salah with a brutal finish, it was a sitter. Just had to lob the keeper and keep it on target. He put it wide. You just knew he'd do that. He has been rancid since the African Cup of Nations.

Atalanta thought they'd scored, but it was offside. They didn't miss the target.

Atalanta player has gotten a yellow card. VAR should upgrade it to red. It was denying a clear goal chance, it was deliberate handball.

VAR didn't do anything.

My sincere apologies for derailing the thread and prob ruining your evening.

Maybe the good mods will move my comment.

I don't think it really matters to be honest. Probably no harm in having the one thread for Europa and Conference given there's not many posts in either thread.

• I still don't get the point of the conference league. Seems insulting.

both teams here are getting into good scoring positions, but remains 1-0 after 78 mins.

ref seems a but lax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Should have just been for the little guys. No joy watching the 7th best in England or Germany win it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I know it’s down to money but the Europa and Conference League should just be a straight knockout competition like the old UEFA and Cup Winners Cups maybe a two legged tie. Some of the group games are simply underwhelming.

Damian Delaney talking pony. What's new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Leverkusen manage to keep the run going.

Quarter-Final 2nd Leg Results
    AS Roma (ITA) 2 V 1 AC Milan (ITA) - (Agg 3-1)
    Atalanta (ITA) 0 V 1 Liverpool FC (ENG) - (Agg 3-1)
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA) 1 V 0 SL Benfica (POR) AET - (Agg 2-2) Olympique de Marseille (FRA) win on pens 3-2
    West Ham United FC (ENG) 1 V 1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) - (Agg 1-3)

Semi-Final Draw
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA) V Atalanta (ITA)
    AS Roma (ITA) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)

Liverpool ran out of puff. They look really tired now.

Fair play to Atalanta, amazing press in the 2nd half and thoroughly deserved to go through.

Klopps farewell really fizzling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Anyone successful with their ticket application for the Final?

Got a rejection email this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

It seems it's almost impossible to get tickets via UEFA anymore.

All my applications for Euro24 were rejected, no luck when the resale portal opened in March either. And now nothing for the UEL Final.

Last chance saloon for the Euros in a few weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

I never had any problems getting tickets for any of the last 3 Euros tournaments and the previous UEL final in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Just checked myself now. Unsuccessful.

No more than UEFA 2024, where I've applied at each possible round, a big fat zero tickets.

I don't even have a "self-fulfilling prophetic doom-laden" name like @Bummer1234 :)

Semi-Final 1st Legs
    Thursday 2nd May (20:00 Kick-offs)

AS Roma (ITA) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 2
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA) V Atalanta (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement