Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now it's official: "Ireland needs a new right wing party".

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I won't play along with those feigning ignorance about what it means, that's all

Like I said,the question is asked twice per week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Sounds very US-style dog-eat-dog individualism to me. Not sure if I like that idea.

To me, the big thing the government needs to do is to put social issues aside for a while and work on the issues affecting society as a whole. Housing, crime, health, and a huge expansion of public services and resources to facilitate the expanding population. I feel like we're still trying to run the country on the same resources we had with 3 or 4 million people, let alone what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

While I agree with what you are saying about the politics , I still think you are missng my point.

Being autistic is a disability when it impairs one's ability to function in everyday life and engage in society.

On the Autistic Spectrum however are also high functioning individuals who are neuro divergent and are well able to function and live well and productively , maybe with some education on how to manage relationships/ interpersonal skills.

These might be some of the individuals you cite . And indeed those Libertarian ideals may well attract involvement by people with neuro divergence and their possible participation in that area of politics, I agree .

However I don't think it is helpful to associate traits of any ' innate difference' or neuro divergence with those traits of libertarianism that most people find unacceptable.

In fact to be blunt , let's just leave Autism / Autistic Spectrum out of the debate if you don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem is you don't know where it fits into the discussion.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Two pages or libertarianism, MAGA, Trump, yada yada. Another derailment of a left/right thread.

Just change the thread to "all the ways the right are wrong" and be done with it. The topic is way in the rear view mirror by now.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's noteworthy that nobody can actually make a positive case for right wing policies. It's just the usual victimhood, bigotry and conspiracy theories.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

°°°°°

The very same can be said about left wing policies.

That's the trouble with extremism, and I know you're not willing no accept that but it bears repeating.

Theres a gap of law and order issues in particular in Ireland that people feel belong to right wing beliefs which is a mistake in my opinion.

Ireland has become so liberal the baby has been thrown out with the bath water. Some of it is good, accepting peoples differences and the like but we now allow violent criminals to walk the streets on suspended sentences instead of being locked up where they can't do any harm to people.

Our government does more to help chancers seeking internal protection than dealing with the years old housing crisis.

The answer isn't a new political party of any type, habitat right wing conservative party won't in itself solve these issues but there's definitely some small amount of correction required to fix some of the problems we've inadvertently caused for ourselves.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭Shoog

Libertarianism is quite delusional in its lack of understanding of the way modern societies work. Its just trying to recreate a frontier dynamic in an urbanized complex densely populated country. It really doesn't deserve any serious consideration and it's prominence in America is a sure sign of that countries path to decay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You lost me at both sides.

Thanks for helping me prove my point.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It gets asked repeatedly cause nobody who uses the word ever answers.

You don't know what it means and are unwilling to tell us whatever the hell you've decided it means. Just like the others.

• Advertisement

By repeating that word you are becoming less and less clear .

Who are these people and what is their political provenance ?

Why are you sloganeering ?

Ah I see you are obsessed by imported US -isms ..MAGA , Trump and ' wokeism whatever it is ' none of which are very interesting to Irish people talking about Irish politics .

Except to point out how those ideals have not helped people in the US .

You have been involved in that left vs right discussion too.

But your suggestion on the thread title change is not a bad idea .

°°°°°

Wonderful standard of discussion.

We should just let you rant about things you don't like and not interject. Pathetic.

Glazers Out!

So you feel upset by the attacks on the right.

Though you said we need to get away from the left v right mentality anyway?

°°°°°

Not upset, just bemused as to the relevance of this stuff that pops up in every such thread.

The usual posters arrive saying the usual stuff and topic is washed away in a tide of smug self satisfaction.

Glazers Out!

The tone of your previous posts would disagree.

°°°°°

I'll take your interpretation of my tone with a pinch of salt. Coming from someone who felt entitled to ridicule me earlier in this thread, I'm not too concerned about your perception of what I'm saying.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Both sides serve a purpose. The centre is the sweet spot, but we need both sides to get there.

No, it's a cynical whataboutery tactic. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭techdiver

Off topic I know. But there is so much in your posts regarding autism that is so off the mark it's laughable.

To understand autism takes more than a cursory Google and lazy tropes.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

We all need to accept that you're right about everything.

Now let's get People Before Profit running the country so we can finally solve all the ills of Irish society.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So you start off by saying autistic people can't function or engage with people but then talk about the Autistic Spectrum making your second paragraph null and void.

Your third paragraph is a big copy paste of something in the Internet and then so you can't be challenged you try to say we should not talk about Autism. All because you have no idea what you pasted.

Why not try and explain it without using big fancy words to make you look like your more intelligent then us mere mortals

You have no idea about autistic people BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Maybe if you don't want to talk about "woke", stop invoking the concept yourself? Right now it looks like you are promoting policies and positions that you can neither explain nor defend, and quite possibly don't understand. That's probably not the look you are reaching for.

Wow, not a very nice post !

I didn't copy or paste anything.

I don't have to . I studied it nd work with people with autism as well as in my own family .

Let's see , accusations ..used too many big words .conflicting statements ..copy and paste from the internet ...trying to make myself seem more intelligent ...don't have a clue !

It was all in clear language to a poster who was discussing at a similar level .

If you have been reading the thread and the posts before that I was replying to, you will see I was asking the other poster not to be bringing Autism into the conversation politics for the precise reason that it was not appropriate , in my view.

I knew people would be upset having Autism discussed here ad-hoc linked with negative traits in politicians.

And I wanted to avoid people being upset by that .,

The fact that you said all this to me in the way you said it , and nothing regarding all the other posts that were discussing it away , makes me question if this is just you having a bit of a go, at me , really isn't it ?

Sorry if you were having a bad evening and ithe thread annoyed you but if it makes you feel better I am upset about it and sorry too .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Woke is a catch all phrase used to describe anything that people don't like. Yesterday there was a thread calling scrabble woke. Woke is a useless word. It's ridiculously subjective. So you should either articulate using different words to describe what you mean, or define what you mean by woke. Because otherwise no-one will have a clue what your saying.

And in an online discussion it's not a weird thing to ask someone for clarification.

Autistic people aren't deficient in empathy. Studies have shown that people with autism generally have more empathy. They feel things stronger than neurotypical people.

The problem with autism is that they don't display it in the same non verbal ways that others do. So at first glance they may talk about something bad that happened to someone and appear unfeeling, but the truth is that they probably feel far more than a neurotypical person. And there may be times that they don't pick up on the hurt someone else is feeling because they don't read the non verbal cues, but once they are aware of it, they do feel empathy.

The problem with autism isn't no feelings, it's too many feelings that are too intense. Autistic people need to learn how to regulate their emotions to prevent outbursts and for their own mental health.

So both of you should drop this because it's clear that neither of you know what you're talking about. Both of you said that autistic people can learn to feel empathy. The people who don't feel empathy are sociopaths and psychopaths, not autists. Autistic people may learn how to display empathy, or they may need to learn how to control their reactions from emotional spikes caused excessive empathy, but they don't need to learn how to feel.

I knew this was not something to be discussed here .

I should not have posted at all .

Apologies if any upset it was not meant .

To your credit you did say multiple times that you felt it was an inappropriate topic. I do hope you learned something about autistic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

They'll be a rump of independents come the election either getting elected or nearly getting so, who espouse immigration skeptical views, some new faces as well as disgruntled FFs, perhaps even the odd FG and SF.

Cue whichever combination is elected to government taking on those views as it is more and more a strong voting cohort in a similar fashion to how continental governments are now shaping up.

Expect any of those campaigning that Trans Rights are Human Rights or being pro refugees to face annihilation at the ballot box.

Thank God for good old democracy. Some may disagree but if that's what the majority wants, so be it.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately practically I know too much about it( won't say more , am sure you can guess ) but literally rushed into a post saying the wrong thing .

No credit to me at all . I feel very bad about it and am deleting my posts . Oh I can't but the others are correct anyway .

Advertisement