Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

His regression has been shocking. Legit. Most players start slow, then improve. Szobo has not just gone backwards, he's running backwards. Unreal, considering his great start to the season.

Obviously, too, this was Tsimikas' last performance in a Liverpool shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

All 3 goals were weak. That's the frustrating part.

Tsimikas should never have went for the player in midfield, Jones had already committed to the tackle and the ball was played in to acres of space down the left forcing VVD to come out of position and Konate and Gomez didn't pick up the run.

Same with the second. Konate and Gomez ball watching instead of picking up the run.

Amateur stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Brought it on themselves. Either it had no effect on the team and it was therefore no need to do it, or it actually played a role in the atmosphere as you would have had fans unhappy due to the 2% and other unhappy that this is being made an issue at all and it was therefore badly timed on Klopp's last European home match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hopefully we manage something of a repeat of those 2020 Champions League ties against Atalanta.

They beat us at Anfield 2 nil that season, and we beat them 5-0 in Italy — 3 goals from Jota, 1 from Mo, and 1 from Mane. Mane's gone of course, so we might have to make do with 4-0 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

They're so far up their own backsides it won't bother them a single bit.

Clowns.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Think Klopp got the half time stuff badly badly wrong tonight, and our boy Kelleher has had a superb season, but a shocker tonight, one of many, but he's been so lauded it's fair to say he looked a bit like the error prone version of previous campaigns.

I'd blame Klopp more than Tsimikas for that one I think… the guy's barely played since he came back from injury. Less than 30 minutes in total in the last 5 or 6 weeks, and then thrown in from the start? Same with Curtis, just looked miles off it immediately.

And Szobo at half time, when Elliott was playing fine. Would've seemed to make a lot more sense to bring Elliott deeper, and leave a horribly-out-of-form Szobo on the bench for later (if at all).

Wasn't the Anfield leg the 2nd leg, though? Tie was already over. No way are we over-turning this, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

think it’s fair to say our manager has had an absolute mare tonight

• Advertisement

It was group stage, so one didn't impact the other - gameweeks 3 and 4, so both were fully competitive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If we can get Allison back and Roberston starting with VVD and Konate we could have a chance. A long shot but we have seen it before.

I think either Trent or Bradley too but Gomez should now be placed back as a squad player.

Cheers. Thought it was a knock-out round, wasn't sure. I do remember there being little jeopardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,545 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crouch really is too big for TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We did'nt lose tonight through lack of effort, everyone put in a shift, one or two lads calling tonight's game a disgrace need to have a look at themselves and cop on a touch.

To be positive about things, we have big players coming back, we're in a title race, we have a manager and team capable of turning around a deficit of 3, if you're going to have a bad night at the business end of a season you may as well have it in the first leg of a European game.

That is all.

We've seen these lulls before… actually we see them pretty much every season at some stage. They always seem like the end of the world, where we just can't score goals. And then they end, and things click, and we start playing well again. We desperately need that to happen reaaally soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Well that was dreadful...Szobzalai is becoming an almost identical replacement of Kieta, great first 10/15 games and then absolute muck thereafter. We just need him to spend some more time in the treatment room and the transformation will be complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

They do come across as entitled so and so’s online by.

Anyways, disaster of a night, and it really does feel like the season is now petering out.

Don’t think I’ve ever warmed to a player less than Diaz in many years.

Definitely. It's an alright fixture at least, Palace with only 1 win in their last 9, and that was against 10 man Burnley back in February. They're a threat on the break, but have a really poor defence, which is really what we need to be facing right now with our strikes in such awful form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Nunez for me now. Just starting to look like he's a definite level below what's required. Far too streaky and has absolutely no ice in his veins. Give him time to think about a finish and he won't. He has to start off the bench for the next few games. Quite enjoy watching him run at defenders on 65-70 minutes but he just seems generally lacking in guile when he starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

That performance was what the word jobbies was invented for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Kelleher at fault for two goals tonight. Allisson approaching full fitness, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Robbo to start, Bradley or Trent if he's ready

Mac, Endo and Elliott

Salah, Jota, Gakpo

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

This kind of white knighting after a game like that is as frustrating as people going over the top with negativity.

This was jurgens last European game at anfield to a team that lost to Fiorientina and Calgiari in their last 2 games and it’s perfectly fine to call spade a spade losing to 0-3 to team like Atalanta is abysmal .

I couldn’t agree more we need players like Allison, Trent and Jota back asap but so far big players Players like Salah annd Szobo returning seems to have coincided with our poor form getting worse by the game. The stand in players who did so well are beginning to play really poorly and big players you’d expect to step seems miles off it .

The game vs palace on Sunday is huge if it’s another performance like this is could be a very worrying end to season. Hopefully the players are angry after that are come out guns blazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭McFly85

While he was poor tonight the whole team was poor - swap Allison in and we’d still probably lose.

FAR too harsh. Poor tonight, in common with everyone else on there, but Alisson is the one first-teamer people haven't been crying over for a few weeks and that's because he's been generally excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Missed the match but read the last few pages

I'm shocked

That really must have been hard to watch.

Was there any positives from tonight where you could see us turning that around?

Its a team that won 3-0 in Naples recently as well.

As bad as we were, surely you appreciate how good Atalanta were? Their marking and defending was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You want Jota to start in three days time after being out for the best part of two months? Sure what could go wrong.

• Advertisement

For me, not one positive from tonight's performance. You want optimism? The only optimism any of us could have from tonight is that it's unlikely we'll ever play as badly again.

Napoli are below Atalanta having a terrible season. We made them look good by being so bad . Kelleher lets the first goal under him and tsimi is all over the place , should at least palm away or hold onto the 3rd and 2nd goal was just really really poor. I don’t know really how to explain how bad we were.

We still hit the post/crossbar, inches away from 2 penos, offside goal , Nunez blows an 1 and 1 that’s bad as we’ve been as we still crafted chances we blew ourselves . We absolutely have no one to blame but yourselves but Atalanta took their chances and should probably have won by more

He came on tonight didn't he?

You could leave him on the bench on Sunday and hope Diaz and Nunez get the job done but it hasn't been a winning strategy.

On balance, I'd like to give him 50/60 minutes and see if the game could possibly be put to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,189 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Klopp said he can't play and you can't just play 20 mins after a couple months out and then be fit to play 60 a few days later.

Jota looked rusty when he came on, bar one dribble. Missed a few headed chances.

Trent is out for longer and hasn't even seen a pitch yet. Both have to be worked back into the team to build up match rhythm.

Based on tonight's performance, I can see why Quansah started ahead of Konate last Sunday.

I wouldn't have Gomez at RB anymore this season. Leave him at CB or LB. And that shooting is getting on my tits. Thankfully the crowd shouts have died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jack747

I genuinely don't get the hysteria from people saying our season is done. A Europa League win wont define the season for Liverpool this year. Since we got past the injury crisis somewhat unscathed , for me, the league is everything. If we get knocked out, I personally don't see that having a negative to our chances of winning the league.

We seen a few years ago that trying to compete on all fronts is extremely difficult. I personally would love to see Klopp put out a 2nd string for 2nd leg but no way he will do that, don't think its in him. My immediate hopes after tonight that Villa dont clown about on Sunday by resting the likes of Martinez against Arsenal and actually have a go off them. Reading tonight that 5th is not so guaranteed now for Champions League so that might change their approach on Sunday.

20 minutes to 50 is too many?

What do you reckon, honestly? Another 20, 30?

I suppose we'll see on Sunday but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get fairly significant game time.

On Trent, then play Bradley.

As long as no more Joe at RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,545 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nunez should have scored first, no excuse, in a KO competition just round the keeper and roll it in, Kelleher should have saved that first goal. Everything went their way, nothing went our way. Need to score first in second leg, I think we'll turn it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

trying to summon some good vibes after a total collapse , we beat palace Sunday and arsenal draw against villa . Praise be !!!

• Advertisement

25 next day out for Jota I would guess. Maybe start away in Italy and back to bench again that weekend.

I think it’s more of a reflection of progressively worrying performances in the league, going out of FA cup and not looking good in UEFA now , it’s hardly encouraging for a league run in because this isn’t an isolated performance. hopefully a strong performances on Sunday and returning players can give this team a boost it badly needs.

We never won the league going head to head in a title run so feel like we need to perfect and we just conceding too many goals and wasting far too more chances. UEFA cup was one I hoping we meet bayer in the Final but it’s not over yet as you say. Just not looking great at the moment form wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

There must be something going on with szobo because I've never known a player since deli ali drop off a cliff so fast.

We all know alis reasons so I wonder is there something in his personal life effecting him because its hard to find any other reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

SOS should be stripped of their season tickets and give them to people who will actually support the team,they are some bunch of A -holes tbh,who the f do they think they are like

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Schmadke apparently was overruled when he said he wasn't worth the fee. He's a decent player but nothing more. Supposedly went missing for long periods at Leipzig aswell after a promising start.

Not saying he won't come good, but that's just the reality.

As for the ticket prices, it's less than the rate of inflation, **** deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Nunez very poor and not liverpool standard at all, sell the flop and get in toney or whoever, another 1 on 1 tonight at 0-0 and he fecks it up, score that and it sets us on our way, but no, once again he messes it up, he wouldn't lace fowlers or owens boots

• Advertisement

The Nunez conversation is always so nuts - flipflopping back and forth to these crazy nonsensical extremes. He's really wasteful and nowhere near as clinical as you'd like. But he's also contributing one goal or assist per 95 minutes, and is second in the entire league for go-ahead goals. He's hugely improved his all-round game this season, without his finishing improving enough.

He's one of the reasons we can struggle in games, but he's also one of the reasons we're in a title race in the first place.

He's a good, impactful player, without being top class.

I'd like to see him start on the left for a few games. Diaz has 7 fewer goals and assists despite playing a lot more minutes, and has really struggled at times with his decision making. Nunez will still have a big physical impact on the left, but it takes some of the pressure of finishing off him (though tbh everyone's been absolutely rubbish in front of goal for a while, Mo's had some particularly woeful off-target shots in these last 2 games).

Can't wait for Jota to be up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

I’m an optimist as much as anyone but we are making extreme hard work of games since late February I would say and no player is really in any great form and City and certainly Arsenal look imperious.

We got knocked out of the FA cup and we told ourselves we had the league and Europa to focus on, well league is out of our hands (being realistic) and we are essentially out of Europe after only 1 leg, not saying people are hysterical but it’s more then fair to be feeling abject about it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

so carragher tweets should play second team in Italy . If we win Sunday and arsenal don’t honestly I’d be more tempted . Let’s be honest in recent weeks trying to juggle all the bells in the air in the run air has being a disaster , at least play the league to the full and see where it all lands . The decisions we make off the pitch are as now just as important as ones off the pitch .

Nunez will always invite extreme opinions, that's the nature of the beast. But the fact is that, at the squeaky bum time of the season, his profligacy in front of goals is something that's unsustainable given there are 7 'cup finals' left. He's missed so many big chances which would have enabled us to get our noses in front in games and we're no longer scoring enough to keep coming back to win games. His general play has been poor recently also. He's always far more of a threat off the bench - the Forest match - when defenders are tiring and that could be crucial against Villa or West Ham for instance who are knee deep in trying to sustain a European challenge.

Goals are starting to dry up a bit so it's natural that the guy who gets the most chances and misses most of them is going to be in the firing line. He's certainly not 'useless' but the more I see him, the more certain I am that he's not good enough to lead the line for us in the long run. He's got that whiff of a 'would score plenty in a farmer's league' about him. I hope he proves me wrong in the next 7 league matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Zero chance of scoring 3+ goals against Atalanta considering the rut we are currently in.

I'd be sticking all of our eggs into the League.

• Advertisement
Advertisement