Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Unclear - IRFU are funding part of it apparently but not sure if that means POM has committed to another season at International level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Every news update I can find says the IRFU and Munster have agreed a “new 1 year deal with the province”.

There’s no mention of it being a Central contract explicitly as far as I have found.

There may be some top-up arrangement though, that might come out eventually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't believe you can play for a province while "retired" from international rugby

MOD: Anybody can post on any thread but there will be a tougher line taken on deliberately antagonising or goading fans on their own team thread.

Lets cut out things like this please.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So are you saying that they won't give a contract to an Irish player unless they are available for International selection?

There have definitely been Irish internationals playing for the provinces that were no longer playing for Ireland though perhaps they were all just no longer getting picked rather than being formally retired.

• Advertisement

Yes. They'd basically be making themselves NIQ. Not being selected is a completely different matter of course.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has an Irish player formally retired from international rugby only? I can't think of any.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i cannot think of any irish player who had "retired" from international selection and still played for a province?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

David Humphreys was the last I can remember and a lot has changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You post makes a great case for someone who is clearly lacking your call for 'honesty' or 'introspection'.

You ask about Leinster losing starters, while Munster hasn't yet lost a single one. Presuming Beirne is starting then one or your second row 'world cup winners' is on the bench. Munster chose which one they preferred to keep. The other player you've lost was deemed to be the 3rd string OH by Munster coaches.

You complain about Munster not being allowed to sign Synman to his third NIQ contract. What NIQs from other provinces have been allowed to sign to their third contract?

If you showed some introspection, rather than attempted provincial points scoring about Harry and Sam (who has never even been in the full Irish camp), you'd acknowledge that Munster's own Crowley was fast tracked at an incredible pace in the last 18 months by Farrell and from all evidence he backed the right horse over Healy.

Introspection would also include the awareness to acknowledge that the IRFU also does plenty of positive things to help Munster, like dropped an international IQ test quality TH into your team just a few months ago - can't remember the last province to get that sort of great deal.

If you're going to ignore the positives and then look at only the most negative slant on every scenario then of course you're going to feel badly treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

The equivalent losses for leinster would be 3rd choice out half, bench lock, and starting centre. So, i guess frawley or prendergast, jenkins, and ringrose.

Leinster fans probably would feel that and you have a much deeper squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We are losing our bench lock, bench tight-head, and very likely our bench centre at the end of the season and they're just the ones we know of at this point.

We will feel it, but this is just the nature of pro sport. Other guys will come in or step up and on we go, just like they will at Munster.

Edit: in fact, I assume Jenkins will move on too so that's both our back-up locks departing.

You are choosing to lose them generally. I'd be very surprised if leinster don't have at least a NIQ THP or centre next year. Contracting isn't done/announced yet.

Also, only one of those is irish qualified and he is obviously leaving because you signed someone who would ALWAYS make 23s in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Iv not at any point suggested the irfu have done nothing positive. Dont put words in my mouth

Your post didn't suggest one positive thing about the IRFU, you just took the most negative slant on every single situation and claimed others weren't being 'honest' or showing 'introspection'.

You brought introspection into the discussion, I simply pointed out that someone showing introspection would be aware that they appear transfixed on just the most negative elements and the feelings that is causing you.

Take POM's contract, most on this thread wanted him to be made Irish captain and he was, most here wanted him to be extended and he was, most here wanted him to be on a central contract and instead the IRFU are part funding the deal. Rather than looking at the bigger picture of all the positives, you're transfixed with annoyance that a guy turning 35, with a huge amount of competition for his place at Munster and Ireland, hasnt been given one of the very few central contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Have you posted positive things the irfu has done in every single post youve made

The irish captain for the first time hasnt been given a central deal. A province is part funding the irish captain how thankful we are

Maby irelands starting 10 can get a part funded deal next. Thanks irfu no its fine pay backup second rows instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

POM getting a new contract is a great bit of news for a bloke who has given his all for Munster and Irish rugby. He’s been an iconic player for the last 10 years and I’m delighted that we’ll see him again for another year. I’m sure every Irish fan is happy to see him get it. Not sure the negativity is needed today.

I haven't gone on and on about every single thing that didn't go perfectly for Leinster, compiling them into a list of grievances like your previous post, making a huge deal about them, and twisting all blame away from the province and towards the IRFU.

At this stage even though things might annoy me, I am aware that **** happens to every province and the outside factors generally balance out over time with positive things from them - be it in players (like Jager) or special allowances (additional NIQs).

I'd say the same thing if there were a bunch of fans in that Leinster thread pointing the finger at the IRFU for Molony departing blaming Farrell because he wasn't in most Irish squads and picking up caps over the years, despite being a regular starter for Leinster, including last year's CC final. There aren't people doing that though.

You're here claiming others lack 'introspection' while over a year later still complaining that the third choice OH made his own decision to leave to get game time both at club and international level, as both his provincial and international coach had picked a younger guy from his own province ahead of him - who to this day is still significantly outperforming him, showing all parties made the right choice.

• Advertisement

Id love to be positive i think munster are in a great place the academys going well but this thread is largely leinster fans being ***** so perhaps it should be renamed

Ben healy wasn't third choice, munster contacted oli jager for years not the irfu, what additional niqs are you talking about.

Molonys the only near Leinster starter not in irish teams because he has two other Irish internationals ahead of him.

I think the best of the three FHs is the one that stayed, tbh. If one left for caps and one left despite being capped there's no real answer to how to keep them all happy.

Bar the two Leinster 10s we cap and the Leinster 12 we cap as a 10. Found a fix there

If you are asking for an answer, cap him. Harry Byrne was third choice when capped.

Capped as a 21 year old with 19 mins of champions cup experience, sams now been called into the irish squad with about 400 mins of senior rugby not sure what the commonality is there

MOD: This goes for everyone. I do not want to hear the phrase "Leinster fans X" or "Munster fans Y" on any of these threads again or warnings and bans will follow. Confront the content of the post or ignore it.

Didn't work for Carbery. Would a token cap have been enough for Healy or is he better off in Scotland?

Nobody seems to know who was 3rd choice at Munster but apparently it wasn't Healy. If it was Crowley, then the 3rd choice was capped and is now 1st choice for club and country. If it was Carbery, he was capped again... I genuinely don't understand what argument people are trying to make.

HB was capped when third choice cause AF clearly didn't like RB and was scrambling around for anyone he thought he could make a better 10. It wasn't a "token" cap and we are starting to see what AF saw in HB now.

• Advertisement

You do realise Crowley started against Australia with about 700 minutes of senior rugby right?

Advertisement