Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No change with the bookies, Leinster still 7/8 point favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

out of interest were we favorites for the final?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah. I think sydthebeat was right, it was narrow.

I'd hazard that we've been favourites the last three times they've dumped us out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Christ I'm gonna be a mess by this time tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the more pundits call this game for LAR, the more i think this leinster team will rise to the occasion.

One thing irish teams have been good at for years is learning to change. I believe nienabers appointment, and specifically his defense, is very, very much tailored to taking on the likes of LAR and how they play. We have found it easy enough over the last few years to manage the coast to coast, joue joue that the like of toulouse put forward. We've certainly struggled with the simple power packing punchers of LAR and we've been passively soaking those heavy carriers in the last two finals. we cannot do that again.

LAR, with their selection, i would imagine, will be targeting getting the ball out wide as quickly as possible to their speedsters as we are defending more narrow that we have previously, becuase we're fcuking up the rucks.

if we can slow down their ball, cut out their passing wide channels and have our 9 and wings patrol that space between our 15 and the defensive line, i think we can do it, and do it suffocating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

yikes, I think I'll leave my money in its wallet in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So many ways this can potentially go given how close the teams are.

One thing that might be interesting is whether LAR can maintain their strength in the second half after their 80 minute war last week and all the travel. Cork may have done wonders for them but if their big men fade no matter how much try to trick the ref, the stoppages wont be enough with that Leinster bench and their intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

leinster are 8 points favourites. That's not close.

I don't see how a game a year ago should really effect this one either. Leinster should win and pretty comfortably. Lot of weird emotional hedging going on from pundits.

With it looking like they'll completely sell out that sized stadium for a quarter final with less than a week notice shows how strong the Leinster support is and how much the public in general have bought into this rivalry. Not sure many/any other sides could do that, especially with there likely not being a huge amount of LAR fans there.

Great news for Leinster and Irish rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

In fairness to all involved, they priced tickets nicely to make it accessible for families. The whole family here are heading in tomorrow.

While the thunder clap and Leo are pure cheddar, the kids absolutely love the build up. Leinster have done an amazing job in recent years making it family friendly. And as much as I wanted to hate the half time kicking competition, it was great fun!

One thing I noticed last heading to the game. We were in at one the 6N games and we got a bite to eat down in Empty Pockets in Baggot St. Very few in it. Last week for the Leinster game, we couldn't get get near it. Ended up in Burger King across the road and that was jammed too. It serves to highlight the different types of people going to the matches. The provincial games are so much more fun! There isn't the constant stream of people in and out to the bar either.

In fairness to all involved, they priced tickets nicely to make it accessible for families. The whole family here are heading in tomorrow.

If (big if) we win tomorrow, I don't really trust EPCR to manage the same for the semi in Croke Park unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

EPCR looked at the semi last year as a cash cow, the tickets seem to start at the same price as the top end ones in France , maybe I’m wrong but I think it was a big price difference

Who do Leinster get in semis anyway if they can win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Judging by the teams selected, northampton. Bulls have rested a lot of players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

can’t see the bulls winning, Northampton are a good team and will go to LaR or Leinster with no fear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Bulls not going full strenght. I think that's a poor look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We went with a 3rd string team to play them last year in fairness and the South African sides have no reason to prioritise the Champions Cup over the URC.

Over here we've always had a clear preference for Europe over what's been a poor standard of Celtic Magnets ProX but with them just having joined a strong league in the URC and only dipping their toes into what must come across as a bit of a Mickey Mouse tournament with its unfathomable group stages and ludicrous scheduling, the latter doesn't really sell itself to a SA fan discovering NH rugby.

If Munster had won last week and then ended up playing the Bulls away twice on successive weekends in two different competitions... how do you explain what exactly is going on to a casual supporter and convince them one game is more important than the other?

It is a bit of a shame for the tournament but the Bulls' decision is understandable. I hope the side they picked give a good account of themselves in Franklin's Gardens and maybe sneak a win.

I wasn't a huge fan of our squad selection to SA, but we had top place sown up and we still won a game. It's not really comparable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Probably a moot point but if that semi against Munster last year had actually been in Pretoria I wonder what team we'd have sent.

Sending a shadow squad to an ultimately meaningless URC game made sense for Leinster but a Bulls fan hoping to go to a rematch of the previous year's semi would probably have felt ripped off.

Maybe not, I don't really know what way it worked in Super Rugby, if there were games that featured B/C teams at the end of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

With all the talk of Leinsters budget. Consistently earning home knock out games in the URC and Europe certainly makes a difference. Leinster could end up playing 4/5 more home games than the other provinces through their own good form, rather than drawing with Bayonnes kids at home.

SA fans aren't that dumb. There are plenty of competitions that have league and cup games going on in parallel that can overlap.

Bulls played the percentages, like all teams do, and have chosen their priority based on what they think is best for them.

This is always has and will happen within the rugby club game - Leinster did far worse in a home semi final in the URC last year and didn't cause the competition to implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just read that Milne's inclusion in the 23 is selection driven rather than injury enforced. He's been playing well since returning from his own injury, but I wasn't expecting him to leapfrog Healy so soon. Big chance for him tomorrow to stake a claim for an Ireland spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Seeing as La Rochelle have had "Fields of Athenry" playing on their team bus I'm suggesting we go with "Allez Les blues!" for the niggle.

EDIT: my mate came up with this one

"Où est /le bouclier??"

Post edited by long_b on

Why are La Rochelle playing a Connacht song? 🤣

I think he has been playing well for a while, injury this season has held him back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is Milne staying? There were rumors of him leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think if Ross Byrne plays well leinster should win this.

But my worry is that Ross has a very poor record against them.

Missed the win earlier this season.

Played the full 80 last season and didn't control the game enough.

Played The full 80 in the semi loss in 21. And came on in the final in 22 and was very poor. Very very poor.

If Ross doesn't get it done tomorrow it's time to move on from him realistically. A fine professional but athletically limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

No idea but he, Boyle and McCarthy are all serious talents.

I'd rather keep all 3 another year to get a better picture of who we want to keep and say thank you very much to Healy (Pains me to say that). Unless of course he wants to play tight-head for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Me when I see Munster/LAR supporters tomorrow 😎

Advertisement