Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That 16yo coming off looks way older than Felix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

lovely from barce to make it 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was a beautiful floated ball over the top by Pedri, literally only on the field as a sub, and Raphinha has a second goal finishing on the volley into the bottom left hand corner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Such a quality goal, savage pass and finish- - pure top quality football.

3-2 now to barce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Barca now 3-2 up from a corner, free header from Christensen, only on the field and scores with his first touch. Really poor from PSG's perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Feel like Mbappe staying in France has kinda stunted his development a bit. In the big games he just looks so lazy so often, far too used to strolling around and getting to only focus on attacking.

Still only 25 though, so there's a little bit of time for him to develop the work ethic required to reach his potential - but he'd want to cop on fairly soon.

Great to see all 4 ties still alive for the return legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

He was not great tonight.

Donnarumma was very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Final 1st Leg Results
    Arsenal FC (ENG) 2 V 2 FC Bayern München (GER)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) 3 V 3 Manchester City FC (ENG)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 2 V 1 Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 2 V 3 FC Barcelona (ESP)

Quarter-Final 2nd Legs - (20:00 Kick-offs)
    Tuesday 16th April
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) - (Agg 1-2) - Live on TNT Sport 2 / RTE Two TBC
    FC Barcelona (ESP) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - (Agg 3-2) - Live on TNT Sport 1 / RTE Two TBC

Wednesday 17th April
    FC Bayern München (GER) V Arsenal FC (ENG) - (Agg 2-2) - Live on TNT Sport 2
    Manchester City FC (ENG) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) - (Agg 3-3) - Live on TNT Sport 1 / Virgin Media Two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

All 4 games nicely in the balance going into next week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dortmund hitting the crossbar with the last touch of the game, 2-1 very nicely poised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Donnarumna was very poor for PSG tonight,made mistakes for all Barca goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Presume we can now put to bed the idea that you need the away goals rule to stop teams parking the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The problem with no away goal rule is that now there's an advantage for the team that plays at home second. They get to have any potential extra time played at home. This was counteracted by the fact that the away team got longer to score an extra all important away goal, but now that's gone so game advantage is solely to the home team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

yes, that is the problem with it. But there’s a lot of folk saying the problem is that the removal of the away goals rule will lead to more boring ties. Which was always a load of tosh.

Home advantage is mostly a problem from another era anyway.

It really shouldn't have a massive effect on most games involving the top professional teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

FAir play to Dortmund last night, they looked out after about 30min.

But they had a very good second half, Brandt changed things.

All 4 ties still very much alive going into next week, which is what the casual fan wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Semi-Final Draw

Club Atlético de Madrid (were 12/1 now 9/1)/Borussia Dortmund (were 22/1 now 33/1) V Paris Saint-Germain (were 8/1 now 12/1)/FC Barcelona (were 9/1 now 7/1)

Arsenal FC (were 7/2 now 5/1)/FC Bayern München (were 13/2 now 7/1) V Real Madrid CF (were 6/1 now 7/1)/Manchester City FC (were 7/4 now 13/8)

Manchester City are the only team that are odds on for a quarter-final next week.

The favourites to qualify are 3/11 Barcelona, 4/11 Man City, 3/7 Atlético and 10/11 Bayern Munich.

The outsiders are PSG 10/3, Real Madrid 9/4, Dortmund 2/1 and Arsenal 22/23, so should be another set of cracking ties.

• Advertisement

Still all teams would prefer that extra 30 minutes at home if a tie goes to extra time. Only fair way to do it now is to cut out extra time and just go right to penalty kicks if the game is a tie after the 2nd legs

Or just say "hey it's the luck of the draw" and be adults about it your team loses the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Biggest advantage is having the crowd influence the ref for the r yta time half hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think at least 1 of those outsiders listed in the last paragraph will go thru to the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd actually live to see it go to a one game neutral play off if it's still level after 180 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

They already play about a 100 matches a year!!!

• Advertisement

All of Rangers hard work has been undone, Scotland has lost its Automatic Spot in the Champions League from the 2025-26 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Glad I took Atleti at 12/1, annoyed I didn't take them at 19/1 before the draw was made.

Watching alot of "experts" predicting who would win the Champions League, and not one even had Atleti getting to the final. Really baffles you sometimes, how ex-pros seem clueless on the games they are watching.

There will often be a bet, when if you really look at it seems obvious. One which everyone else seems to miss, but is glaring. Italy winning the Euros for example. When logically dissected, there was only one winner.

Atleti this year, are that team, they will win it. They should have in the past, but with very tough draws in recent years, and alot of miles on the clock, dropped a level. Their recent result against Barca now has everyone writing them off. But this is the only cup they want, and they've regrouped and are rejuvenated

They'll finish off BVB. PSG and Barca are simply average teams who are flakey. They'll be ruthlessly snuffed out by Atleti when it really matters, and the Atleti workrate goes up. Either PSG or Barca are hitting a brick wall, and battered on the break.

As for the final, I think City play into their hands, Arsenal or Bayern not good enough to open them up without conceding on the break. Madrid could be their achilles heel, but the law of averages would suggest they have to come out the right side at some point.

Added to that, they're coming under the radar. Alot of teams ripe for the taking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Atletico Madrid will not win the Champions league.

They are struggling in La Liga and as soon as they meet a half decent team they'll get beaten. They were beaten 3-0 in the Metropolitano less than a month ago by Barcelona

Theres a big push coming from them for this Champions League!

no offence dude, but your endorsements are like a kiss of death for teams…

The last big one was for Milan early on this season, who didn’t make it past the group stage. And the less we talk about last seasons predictions the better 😅

• Advertisement

He had promised to quit Boards if Inter didn't win the Champions League final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm an Atleti fan and I don't share such optimism. Simeone's style of football is one of diminishing returns, I fear.

Travelling to Dortmund with a one goal lead doesn't fill me with confidence. And over two legs, I still expect Barca to win, not so sure about PSG, though. I can City tearing them apart and Madrid being able to out battle them.

I just don't see it happening at all.

I'll be honest lads, I support Milan, so made a fool of myself somewhat there. I knew deep down logically, the strenghts I was trying to apply to Milan, hard defence and technical midfield, lay with Inter. I just continully refused to accept it and doubled down. In saying that, a well drilled defence in Inter, should of done a job on city, if that donkey Lukaku could play football.

City aren't quite as good as last year, and Atleti are a better defensive outfit than Inter were last year. I've no horse in the race this year, so am being more objective I'd like to think

You seem naturally inclined to back defensive, underdog teams though.

Throw their league form out the window, will have no bearing, other than to make them bigger outsiders. Atleti will always find a league campaign tougher than Madrid and Barca. They play a hard grind. It takes it's tole on their own players. Its hard to psyche yourself up to wear down weaker teams, week in week out, with little at stake. Alot of miles on the clock there, its fatigued them. Even mentally, what Atleti do is tiring emotionally on their own players.

Similar to Italy qualifying for major tournaments. Hard for their players to play their grinding game with nothing at stake, you really have to be up for it. But once they qualify, can regroup and give a huge push for two weeks or so, as exerting as that style is. Italy in a major tournament a completely different beast to qualifying. Night and day the intensity levels. But its impossible to sustain that, year in year out. Its why Atleti often look blunt, in what you think should be routine wins.

Atleti did go somewhat stagnant playing this game for years, but got very tough draws in recent years in Europe, and have been unlucky. They now see a genuine path to victory here. They'll regroup and there will be a huge push. This tournament is all they care about. They'll fight harder than anyone, and will be more organised, you can see the belief come back everytime they play in Europe now.

As I said, forget their league form, it will have no bearing. They'll be a different beast in Europe, and they will ambush the others. It's setting up perfectly. They'll tear Barca or PSG apart on the break, two poor teams, who are flaky. Will be a completely different Atleti that you seen against Barca a few weeks back!

You've to go back 10 games for an Atleti clean sheet, so I'm not sure they're as defensively robust as you think… I mean, even Dortmund scored and hit the woodwork twice at the Metropolitano…

I think they're an interesting team, and I'd like to see them do well, but they're huuuuge outsiders.

They've had their eyes on both the league and Europe for a while, the win tonight gives them a slight cushion, bit of breathing space.

I just feel if they qualify, intensity levels will go up, be a big push, more akin to the Atleti of a few years ago.

A big strength will be the rest of the teams will really force them back, they'll have no option but to have the bus parked. It suits them better being forced tight, and picking their moments on the break.

I just don't think anyone is giving them a chance, and their form of the last few years has them as big underdogs which will suit them. But they're a very tenacious and resilient team, and could very well have a burst where they raise it for a few huge games.

That's how I see it playing out. Everyone has either Barca or PSG as a shoo in to make the final, but they are two poor flakey teams.

Would you really have much confidence in them, when it gets to the serious stuff, to stand up to the heat? I wouldn't. Could easily see them break if a team starts to turn the screw on them, a tough hard fighting team. There's no real fight in Barca and PSG.

Atleti team have unfinished business in this tournament. Theres one last big push left in this Simeone team!

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

I have a yearning to see a top quality defensive team come to the fore, to counter the balance of how football has developed. The lack of any, means guys like Guardiola get away without being tested. City winning last year was a shame, as it validated his management. I always said he wouldn't win the Champions League outside Barca, but the lack of any decent defensive teams, let him off the hook last year. Inter, a strong workmanlike team, even had their beating, only for certain donkeys to blow it. Over two legs, they'd probably have knocked City out.

You look at Guardiola at Barca, he had a generation of players, who complimented his style, so it worked. A generation who came through thanks to Cruyff's involvment in their academy. In a Champions League semi final, when the serious stuff got going, Barca had the ability to find that ball through the eye of a needle pass. The players grew up playing that style, so were good enough to pull it off. And they faced some seriously tough defensive and workmanlike teams.

Without players who grew up playing that game, we soon seen his limitations. Took on Bayern and City, alreayd at the top and no shortage of money. He's improved both in certain areas. But the reality is, every time he's come up against tough defensive teams, at the business end of the Champions League, has been found out again and again. His style is actually a far more basic version of what Bielsa does, and a far less complicated version of the Ajax total football philosophy.

Year after year, we seen Bayern go sideways again and again under him, without being able to pick out that ball through the eye of a needle pass, their players simply didnt grow up playing it. His system found out again and again, every year. Same with City. Too blunt, a well drilled defensive unit finds them out ever time. The only differnece now, is there's a lack of great defensive teams to find him out. His style has been vindicated in a sense, despite the limitations that were repeatedly exposed previously, again and again.

and barce take the lead after 12 mins

Good goal, but far too easy.

This is one where Mbappe needs to step up now.

• Advertisement

PSG had all the ball, Barca basically had 1 attacck, 1-0.

Yamal looks such an exciting player - reaaallly hope Barca have learned some lessons and don't destroy him before he's even out of his teens.

mbappe prob should have scored there

Holy shït, big decision there!

Seems a bit harsh, contact was pretty light.

Straight Red for Barce, this just got even more interesting.

thats a harsh red for aruajo. game on

It's definitely a foul, not sure the ref has much choice.

barce now looking for the ref to even things up

Dortmund ahead in the other game - all square at 2-2 on agg now, advantage Dortmund!

• Advertisement

Big goal from Dembele, awful miss from Mbappe on the way through, but the ball found itself arriving at Dembele's feet on the back post - tidy finish into the top corner at speed.

Advertisement