Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

I think this guy is wrong but it's still worrying that a major Ukraine ally head of armed forces is speaking like this

You've been predicting imminent Russian defeat for a long time now, almost all of Ukraine's allies are saying things are very difficult and probably going to get worse. I think we're right to say they know what they're talking about a lot more than you. This time last year this thread was full of posters predicting a beach party to celebrate the return of Crimea in summer 2023 yet here we are. Wishful thinking doesn't win wars, militaries do and Ukraine is suffering a severe shortage of everything. The Ukrainians themselves are saying it, their allies admit it. This is not pro Kremlin propaganda but the sad current reality. We need to change it while there's still time

Yes the very notable indifference to Ukraine in Western Europe in particular is a shameful disgrace, but if things keep getting worse there will be millions more Ukrainian refugees coming to Europe this summer, then we'll see what the price of indifference is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Can you let me know where I made this prediction?

The mention I made above of pro kremlin waffle was replying to a post that mentioned what I regard as unverified pro kremlin talking points including:

Comparison of numbers fighting on the front lines claiming huge deficit in numbers fighting on the Ukrainian side which I have not seen supported by any evidence.

The reported loss of a major power plant to a massive attack by moskovyte terrorists becomes loss of major power plants.

Reduced interest in the support for Ukraine?

"china appear to be now massively backing russia - which will need to be dealt with by west or ukraine is lost"

I can't see how you don't spot how pro putin the post I replied to is and while I do think putin has little to gain from continued war in Ukraine I am not and have not predicted a complete defeat of russia. I do think it is very likely that they will be unable to sustain long term occupation of Ukraine in the face of millions of Ukrainians who do not want to be part of putin's empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

ukraine needs to hit some major moscow power station or similar - why not adopt the exact same tactic as russia and leave some egg on their face

apparently russia is now sending 10-12 missiles at station at same time to overwhelm defense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

it feels like Ukraine is hurtling towards a point of nothing to lose. It all hinges on those republicans. After seeing Johnson nodding along to that orange freak I don’t think any Ukrainian funding is getting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭randomuser02125

It's at times like this I understand the more deranged Brexiters and the non racist/non misogynistic/non homophobic cohort of Trump voters (minority but they do exist) who just want the world to burn and couldn't give a flying about the consequences. I look at Ukraine being abandoned by the US and think I f***ing hope China invades Taiwan and sends the f***ing stock market to zero. Then I take a deep breath and get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

US doesn't support Ukraine's right to strike such ostensibly strategic targets on Russian soil …………….. but is happy to cheer on the zionists to randomly kill Iranian diplomats in an Embassy in Damascus (technically Iranian soil)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement

Did not think we'd be at this stage in 2024. So muchh blood and loss at the hands of the GOP.

Absolutely disgusting the situation the UAF are now in.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

As regards Chinese aid to the Russians, have seen some suggestions of satellite surveillance which would certainly seem to be a shot in the arm for their efforts.

In terms of the Trump/Johnson meeting, seen different interpretations. Some that he is encouraging the house GOP to leave the Ukrainians out to dry. Others that he would call off the attack dogs if a vote is called.

Of course if Iran conducts a heavy strike, there may be increased pressure to pass a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

If the US fails to deliver for Ukraine I would strongly suggest Europe to critically think about their relationship with the US…. perhaps even step out of NATO as a block, The US cannot be trusted and their political turmoil is costing European lives for 2 decades now

If I were a ruler of a small wealthy nation. I'd be investing in nuclear weaponry. We've seen what happens when you have none.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

"No nation has friends, just interests". Charles de Gaulle

The United States doesn't give a flying hoot about Ukraine. The Biden Whitehouse telling Ukraine they aren't to attack petroleum producing facilities inside Russia so gas prices don't rise resulting in less of a chance of Biden getting elected proves that. Anyway whatever about the US and it's interests the real cowards here are us in Europe. It's on our doorstep and we've done the bare minimum to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ireland - small wealthy nation - ✔

Uranium stocks in Donegal and Wicklow in it's own territory - ✔

A vision of the country but to be subservient to the latest Russian or American despot bought with Russian oil and gas money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Yep, hope European countries remember this the next time America is attacked like 9/11,

For good or bad most of Europe rowed in behind America after it was attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Just to add to this,

The same scenario would play out if it were a Eu country or non eu country, most Americans would make no distinction between say Poland and the Ukraine, nato or not nato, the same political games would be playing out,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

It should be obvious to you by now that there is no mood among large swathes of the American or European electorate for war, especially for loser wars. The widespread protests by potential Democrat voters has materially changed the American administrations attitude towards the Israeli's military campaign in Gaza and forced Netenyahu into retreat. Traditionally conservative voters have never been that interested in foreign intervention, the major wars involving American soldiers have been led by progressives (starting with Wilson in WWI, WWII & Vietnam). Gulf War II and the current disaster that is American foreign policy (bringing freedom and democracy to the world) has been a consequence of the neocons longstanding ambitions. The American administration has recently turned on them and the neocon Victoria Nuland has been given the road, though Anthony Blinken is still there. There are no votes to be had by any political party sending American troops to confront Russia and having to tell the American public that your administration squandered billions in American wealth with no upside, that ain't going to fly. The pointing at Trump and the GOP is just a diversion by the current American and European administrations setting up their alibis for their failure by scapegoating another party.

People calling for more intervention and more attacks are calling for the acceleration of the current WWIII. Be careful what you are asking for, it might be you or your relatives on the eastern front. This wars can end this year, if they do then so much the better. Politics being what it is, the GOP can claim they stopped the Democrats wasting American taxpayers money. Democrat administration not willing to be associated with the loss have every incentive to keep the wars going this side of the election, the next administration can be blamed.

If the war does not end this year, it will culminate in much greater loss of men and material by 2027 when all sides (that includes us here in Ireland) have exhausted their resources and agree to compromise. The final phase of the previous world wars (I & II) direct fighting only lasted about 4 to 5 years.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Russia has never faced the European Union and the US in direct confrontation.

Russia is a minnow compared to these two. But we are all supposed to be afraid of Russia and bow before it's threats. And it's working. Russia has bought the US opposition and stifled movement. Russia has it's supporters lined through the European Union ready to shout down any Union in military force.

It's a country smaller in population than Germany and France on the border of the EU yet has such a grip on people that at all times say leave Putin be and let him take more land and people. For what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,703 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia did not simply come in and assert a grip on anything. What they did was they identified certain fractures in the social fabric of western countries, certain points of discontent and then spread disinformation which has amplified them via malcontents and mouthpieces who are mostly protected by the tenet of freedom of speech. The result of this would be (Russia and China hope) that western democracies are too busy in-fighting to provide effective and sustained opposition to whatever moves they make.

Liberal democracy requires work to maintain and consistent principles to maintain its integrity. One is that there must be a sense of civic responsibility that prioritises the common good over individual gain and individual expression and that's something we've badly lost sight of. It's why social media companies have for so long gladly helped spread disinformation because of the potential profit and don't care if the world burns because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭randomuser02125

• Registered Users Posts: 13,703 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Pa ElGrande

It should be obvious to you by now that there is no mood among large swathes of the American or European electorate for war, especially for loser wars.

This is a truism. It's always been the case that a country will want prosperity and peace over bloody war and will only change stance when they believe the risk-reward ratio to be high enough. The trouble with this is that a steadfast policy of peace leads to appeasement of aggressors and only a postponement of direct confrontation.

So if, for the sake of argument, we see Russia eventually conquer Ukraine and begin to agitate the Baltics with Chinese backing in 5 or 10 years time, will that be the red line, or will people in the West say, "You know, that's really more of a Baltic problem…", and you could go down the line with that until the forces are on your own border all because each individual country wanted just a few days more peace…

People don't need to call for direct intervention, but the policy of giving Ukraine the aid it needs to defend its territory makes perfect sense to put Russia back in its box and China along with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That is exactly what an orcist, ruZzian, pro kremlin, muscovite putinbot would say. How many roubles are the guys at Orwell Road paying you?! 😁

Seriously though, I've not followed this thread in ages, but the situation remains depressingly predictable. Lots of Western talk of military aid doesn't match the reality of the trickle that's happening on the ground. Meanwhile the Russians have more time to continue to ramp up their military production, reinforce their positions and also develop some nasty surprises of their own (the guided FAB bombs have been the most recent innovation).

Last year people were talking about a counter offensive and a drive to Melitopol to cut off Crimea. Now we're talking about survival/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Things must be looking up a little bit for Russia in their war if you are posting again after quiet period!

You are using some very strange and awkward terms like the "European Administrations" and the "European Electorate", but that is a lecture about state of US internal politics, how politicians and the electorate are tired of wars around the world now (bless!).

You try to shoe-horn Europe into it somehow but it does not fit well. Do you live here I wonder? Ukraine is in Europe and results for Europe (EU and also Ireland) of any Russian success/Ukrainian loss are different (and alot more ugly) vs those for the US.

Anyway unfortunately for us, little evidence Putin and the Russian leadership is tiring of wars yet.

Refusing to aid Ukraine any further supposedly to save US$ and urging them to just get it all over with and surrender seems unlikely to me to reduce Russia's appetite for starting wars and usher in peace in Europe. It only takes one to wage a war, if you just refuse to fight at all, you can still be a victim.

Whatever about the US, there is really no way out for Europe of spending far more money on war (militaries and weapons) now and suffering the pain from that, whether that it is continuing to aid Ukraine as much as possible in present and/or rearming back to end of Cold War levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Germany stepping up to the plate yet again. Not sure with the translation if it's just the fire control unit system or includes launchers.

German Ministry of Defense: Germany will immediately hand over another PATRIOT fire unit to Ukraine to repel Russian air strikes. It will be delivered in addition to the air defense systems that have already been delivered and are still planned

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In my case, it would be me fighting on the Eastern Front. And I’m good with that. Russia needs to be stopped now, when it’s weak. If we fail to do so, it could very well be my son who gets drafted to fight in a few years, and in a much nastier war against a more capable Russia.

Isolationism or “not our problem” has never forestalled a war, and usually it just means it’s going to be a bigger war when the dam finally breaks. Whilst I can understand (but not entirely agree) with the policy of letting Ukraine fight without other nations also fighting, that should not be the only and exclusive option to attain the desired result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Nobody is going to be fighting on the Eastern front, unless they want to go over to help Ukraine now that is.

Talking up WW3 is equally ridiculous.

Russia will not be pushing any further than Ukraine or perhaps Moldova if they can get that far.

Not a hope they will attempt an attack on NATO territory, as much as their TV propagandists might like to fawn about it. The Kremlin full well knows the implications of an attack on a NATO member.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭thomil

German news station NTV Nachrichten talks about a 3rd Patriot system, taken from Luftwaffe stocks and available almost immediately. To me, this reads as a full battery, i.e. radar, command post, generator and multiple launchers. Previous Patriot batteries handed over to Ukraine contained 6 launchers, each with four launch cells, so I’d suspect this is a similar case.

https://www.n-tv.de/politik/Deutschland-liefert-weiteres-Patriot-System-an-Kiew-article24871109.html

From what I’ve been able to glean, the term “Fire Unit” (Feuereinheit in German) that was used in the press release is Bundeswehr parlance for the smallest tactical unit of any particular system that is required for said system to operate effectively. Boris Pistorius, Germany’s minister of defence, has served in the Bundeswehr, in a Gepard AAA unit no less, so it would make sense for him to fall back on terms that he’s used to.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think the American body politic is failing to understand, or at least failing to publically discuss, what is really at stake for them. It isnt a simple ledger entry of 60bn saved by not giving aid to Ukraine.

If Trump wins the election and withdraws the US from NATO and turns his back on Ukraine, they will save the 60bn odd a year that they would have to spend on Ukraine, maybe save a few other dollars by reducing their overall military commitment.

But Europe will turn cold towards the US as an unreliable defence and trade partner and seek to improve relations with China. US global hegemony will be over, and this will be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your world view. But, what is not a matter of debate is that the US economy would, in such circumstances shrink significantly. The US would also lack allies in its rivalry with China.

So by all means the Americans can follow an isolationist path. That is absolutely their right as a sovereign nation. I have no problem with any American voter who wants this, even though it is very bad for me as a European.

But I feel like those Americans (or "Americans" whose IP address might be located nearer to the Volga than the Potomac) either dont know or dont want to know about the indirect consequences of such a move.

The people who push for isolationism are pushing for a multi polar world where the US is no longer the leader of the free world. Is that really what they want? Is that really what Trump "America First" supporters want?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement