Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ha, he goes and gets player of the match. I'd say he read this and it annoyed him. He was really excellent I thought, and I'd wanted Harry to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The other half turned off the rugby but I expect its Northampton?
    Is everyone ready for the onslaught from TNT about Leinster resting players while Northampton can't?

It was already mentioned today on TNT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

really enjoyed the atmosphere today, obviously the level of game helps but there were lots of kids there and there was a party atmosphere I think from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Best atmosphere I've experienced in the Aviva in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Not sure he was player of the match. But that's besides the point.

He had a very good game, kicked most of his points, took a hell of a lot of punishment.

Maybe he banished a few deamons today and will kick on.

You'd imagine Harry and Sam will get a start each in south africa.

Can't Imagine too many who started today will make the trip down to south Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Ghosts of 2023 have been vanquished.

Best atmosphere in the aviva in a long long time. When LAR started the handbags with a few minutes to go, you could palpably feel the crowd give them stick.

To a man Leinster were magnificent. Simply stopped lar from playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Best atmosphere at a Leinster game for a long long time. Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

His elbow into the back of Porter’s (I think) head on the ground on 20 minutes didn’t look tame from where I was sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just arrived home.

I can categorically say that feels like the most complete Leinster performance since the Toulouse game way back in 2011.

Very proud of that team this evening. We gave them absolutely nothing. Not a step back, not an inch conceded.

Just booked the final in London. There is nobody to beat us playing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Northampton are a very good team. But the Bulls fielded a weakened side and they were quite close for the first 40 minutes. It was only in the second half that Saints pulled away.

We shouldn't hold any fear of them for the semi final at Croker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I'll need to have a good look for that. Rewatching the game on Rugby24 right now, the closest thing I have is a tackle he made on Porter at 21 minutes before Connors' butchered overlap - but there doesn't seem to be anything on the ground after that.

I do have him gesticulating at the ref after Porter's elbow to the LAR 6 (in hindsight it was never open-palmed as Dickson said, but that decision going against them wouldn't have meant that LAR still wouldn't have been comprehensively outplayed).

Don't see anything else around that time frame.

EDIT: The Botia incident is 47:47 on the match clock for anyone that curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Absolutely. There was tonnes of this. Skelton was at it, pinning after ruck and elbows into face. Botia too. All game off the ball. Glad they are out. Negative sh+t when they don't need it. Just like Toulon, nothing behind a brief explosion while Leinster still fighting consistently for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

That really felt cathartic like Croke Park in 09. Against defending champions, who we have been struggling to get the better of in recent times. Lots of wind up in media in build up.

And then just a f*ing relentless performance to win quite comfortably in the end. Pain vanquished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Just home now and had a quick look, the tv doesn’t catch what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Hindsight is 20/20, particularly having come away with a win today, but I'm really happy that we have faced and beaten La Rochelle in a knockout game.

I'm not saying it's ours to lose or that we've an easy ride, but if we do win this tournament, to vanquish La Rochelle how we did will really make it feel that much more deserved. Had they been dumped out last week, there might be that question or caveat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Looking forward to the media over the next week. Summation:

Media: can Leinster beat LAR? If not it will destroy them

Beat them in the group stage away from home

Media: can Leinster beat LAR. But in a game that matters (ask LAR if that loss at home cost them this year)? If not it will destroy them

Beat the reigning champions by 27 points.

Media: can Leinster win a European Cup? If not it will destroy them.

Northampton up next. They’ll be a big challenge. They have an excellent team and have scored some superb tries this year. Beating Munster away from home with 14 men and backing it up at home is nothing to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Munster aren't very good so not really sure there's much to be read into those games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I guess the lads head off to S.A tomorrow? We might have a very healthy looking squad traveling. J.O.B and Ringrose will surely travel. Ruddock and Deegan and Penny will be back. Sam P and HB will surely be on the plane. We might return with some points!!!

Does anyone feel there's much of a drop from VDF/Conners to Penny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

If Connors or Penny made the impression that VDF made off the bench today we’d be saying they need to be starting all of Leinster’s big games. Great management and squad selection by Cullen and Nienaber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Challenge as I see it is you either need to leave a significant number of players behind or send nearly full strength to SA.

If you try to get a middle ground then you're splitting your starters for nearly three weeks leading up to semi. Not only is that a issue for cohesion but you end up with guys training for three weeks at home against a bunch of sub-academy players.

They're either going all or nothing here.

Feel they'll do the same as last year and leave a huge number home. One option they could try is to do the best of both worlds and treat it like a warm weather camp, having the starters over there training but only giving a few of them in need actual game time. Not sure if that is feasible though with space and cost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think they need to send Ngatai and Ringrose at least, as they'll need gametime. We mostly need some BPs and that would be enough in terms of the table. I would hope that the screwup in the URC semi final last year is on their minds.

I would have a lot more time for the "make it a training camp" and bring a lot of frontliners tbh, but I don't expect to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

You'd imagine Harry and Sam will get a start each in south africa.

Sam P and HB will surely be on the plane. We might return with some points!!!

I would be amazed if Harry Byrne goes anywhere near South Africa as they will need at least two fly halves for training in Dublin, and Frawley will surely train at full back instead with all the injuries to Keenan.

I imagine Prendergast and Tector will travel to SA, with Prendergast starting both games and Tector getting some minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Jesus I enjoyed that. We absolutely battered them from the get go. They barely got a sniff.

That was Furlong of 24 months ago. Got me off my seat when he smashed Skelton.

Baird is a better player than O'Mahony now. He needs to be starting for Ireland.

McCarthy was immense. He's ridiculously good for such a young lock.

Was it just me or did Ross look a bit emotional when he got the motm? Exorcised a few demons today I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

Joe Macs ability to go the full 80 mins today was a huge plus for the team going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What an incredibly enjoyable game of rugby. Every ruck was contested like it was the last ruck we would ever face. Absolute feral commitment for the entire game. Some of the clean outs were monstrous. So proud and appreciative to have seen this performance live. Bloody wonderful. I live that we beat this ROG side having kept our heads throughout. Sumptuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The way Larmour has been playing, the 14 jersey is his. JOB will have to work hard to get it back.

It's really great to see how he has improved so much after being out in the relative wilderness at one point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Very much so. His best game for Leinster today. He was direct and predictable, in a good way, so teammates could support and retain possession.

Also potential best games for Baird, Jenkins, Osborne, Connors. Maybe JGP too, he was fantastic. At a stretch I'd include Doris, R Byrne. Henshaw was quietly magnificent.

Incredible team performance. LAR looked gassed at half time, it was so important we kept going at them and boy did we.....scoreless in second half.

Advertisement