Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightscope Mevo

• 12-04-2024 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering from those that use this, do I need specific golf balls for this or will standard range balls work?

Cheers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭soverybored1878

I'm looking at the Garmin R10 myself and have looked at the Mevo. You can use normal balls but you would get better, more accurate results with RCT (Radar Capture Technology) balls. Titleist do them but they are 84 euro a dozen.

Grand if you're hitting them into a net in the garden but for the love of God, don't take them out on the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

flightscope mevo should come with little silver stickers you put on ball. Obviously only good if you own the balls. Will work with any balls but I think the spin rates won't be as accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

thanks for the responses..

may look at Garmin instea

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Funnily enough I was looking into these too recently and watched a comparison on youtube during the week. Basically for distance the Garmin was solid enough but for side spin it was way way out. They compared them alongside an £8000 machine (Foresight I think) and the Foresight and Mevo were comparable on most metrics (obviously the Foresight would be more accurate) and the Garmin was not bad to be fair especial;ly when it came to distances. But when the Foresight and Mevo recorded a pull/draw/hook, the Mevo was recording a slight fade/cut. Useless if that is data that you will actually be looking to be somewhat accurate. I'm not going to invest in either because what I was looking for was mainly something to measure clubhead/swing path which neither of these units will measure. Can't remember who did the review but a quick search on youtube will point you in the right direction

99% that the Garmin R10 does measure club and swing path. That's what I was after myself. I suffer massively from inconsistency so was keen to try and get a feel and groove in a swing using an LM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Saw some good reviews on the Rapsodo MLM2Pro in terms of accurate data, might be worth considering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

No, definitely doesn't measure club and swing path. You'd need a proper launch monitor to get that data

https://swingsense.com/what-information-does-the-garmin-approach-r10-measure/

Has everything it measures there. I may be getting swing path mixed up with face to path, face angle, club path etc.

Either way, I'm considering pulling the trigger on it for the back garden. May be a little off but it is probably a good tool to use to establish some consistency in a swing. Same with the Mevo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Sorbet

can I ask what’s your net/cage setup in the back garden. Thinking of getting a 3m squared cage ahead of a potential launch monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bloc

Garmin calculates a few things based off the ball it doesn't measure anything else. I have a mevo+ myself and think it's great, have it for nearly 4 years and has it's quirks but so does trackman, definitely very close to everything trackman says especially when you use a dot on the ball or RCT ball indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Rapsodo MLM2 Pro getting great reviews for monitors in that space

I’ve been watching/reading lots of reviews and comparisons to Garmin R10 and what’s frustrating is that they seem very inconsistent- one will say draw the other fade on the same shot. It’s starting to feel that unless you shelve out for a much more expensive monitor it might be a waste of money. Would love to be wrong as am really keen to buy one but budget is defo not above €1,000.
    Anyone any experience of either and any feedback, particularly on flight path?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

If you don't use the right balls then the spin numbers will be all over the place

That being said, on the range it did track the shots fine, but the numbers it produced were erratic as its calculating them

Almost pointless

Thats the r10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I had an R10 for a year or so, mainly used on the range but occasionally into a net. In my opinion if you are going to use it mainly into a net and and want accurate feedback on ballflight then the R10 is not good enough or accurate enough to give you that feedback. If however you are using it on a grass range where you can see the ballflight and confirm the figures than it is excellent at what it does. I used it for getting my carry distances with each club dialled in as well as a wedge matrix with my 50, 54, 58. The data is fantastic and you can export it to .csv and run through it in excel to pull out what you want, I used this to confirm my average carry distances but as I said you do need to see the ball flight to remove the ones you know aren't accurate. Hitting off a mat works well too but in my view its harder to get feedback from the club as a fatted shot can often go similar distances to a well struck shot. I suppose some of this depends on how much you need 99% accurate feedback, like if you are battling a bad slice or hook it will pick that up pretty consistently i'd think but in my case when I knew i'd a hit one out of the heel/toe the R10 didn't always pick that up and would have the ball travelling dead straight when in really it was a block/pull or push/slice. The on thing I can say confidently is clubhead speed, ballspeed and carry distance are very, very accurate compared to Trackman, brought it out to trackman ranges a couple of times and the differences were negligible.

TLDR; R10 is great at a specific use case, not good enough to use as an indoor golf simulator/outdoor net if you are looking for accurate numbers.

Thanks very helpful.

Sorry I missed your comment. I don't have one as of yet, just exploring options as we're due to move into a new house in the summer with a very long garden that backs onto a field so I won't annoy anyone even if I do sky the odd shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lewie1989

Went down a bit of rabbit hole on this myself last year and ended up with a rapsodo mlm which is pretty much the cheapest option.

I was just looking for something i could take to the range that would give me some basic numbers and be easy to use which this does and also has a shot tracer which is a nice feature. Also measures swing speed without a ball if you're doing speed training. If i had the space and wanted to set up a sim, i would be looking at the mevo + for sure with the pro package. Will give you some really good data points that in theory would be close enough that you could probably edit your swing from. The garmin does some things like angle of attack and face to path but not be accurate enough to start changing your swing from.

As someone mentioned previously the rapsodo 2 might be worth looking at but you need an annual subscription to get teh full value out of it, the mevo plus you could just buy the pro package once and that's it.

Advertisement