Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran has come out of the shadows and attacked Israel directly. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

We now exist in a world where Iran can make a small calculated response and call it over, while Israel goes on a wild ride of retribution for months killing tens of thousands of women and children while displacing and causing famine for millions. It's amazing what you can achieve with the US's backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DoyleLoneganYouFollow

And why are you pasting a bunch of pictures of equipment? About Tomahawks or whatever? How does all that address my question, namely if nobody is flying the thing and sacrificing themselves then how is it a "suicide" drone?

Anyway, I don't think that anyone will be killed or wounded in this Iranian attack. Not because the Iranians are incompetent but because it's a pre-agreed response. Israel have agreed to allow a response. It's basically a sop.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

Sorry, this is complete Anti-Protestant/Christian Bigoty at it's worst.

The site of slaughter of a red cow in the Mount of Olives (From where Jesus was taken to be Crucified) mocks Christianity. The actual sacrifice of the red heifer mocks the very essence of the Christian concept of both the meaning Jesus Christ's sacrifice and the resurrection. It's expected to happen after April 22nd.

No Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox Christian would have any part of this. So don't attribute this to Christians…or Protestants.

Finally, as southern Protestant I have lived a lifetime of gratuitous and offhand bigotry which we have to endure on a daily basis….why do the moderators allow this?

I had hopes when I was young I would see the end of it….but I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Don't you know these drones have been brainwashed are making the ultimate sacrifice ;D. Now here come the suicide missiles.

• Advertisement

This Iranian attack is a godsend for Netanyahu.

You are correct. It's a charade. Israel wanted to provoke Iran. Iran didn't lose the rag and take the bait with a kneejerk response so in order to get back to where they were Israel have allowed Iran to save some face by striking at Israel causing no real damage. It also does Netanyahu a huge favour. It helps silence his critics and there is no shortage of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

like who? Every president in US history has backed Israel.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Its all Israel's fault ..........

Thunderbird countdown... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1

It's all Trump's fault .......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The drones Iran fired are basically rockets, they fly to the destination and crash causing the explosion.

Some other drones are armed with rockets or explosives, they fly and fire the rockets/drop the explosive before returning to base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

What did they expect after attacking the Iranian consulate, lo and behold they've ran behind the US skirt.....and to the UN an organisation they claimed was antisemitic a week ago lol they did the same when hezbolah handed them their arse a few year ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Both it and the US are cancer on the middle east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The sooner that jurisdiction is wrapped up or moved to a less contentious region the better for world peace. Worlds worst creation. The Brits and Americans with their ideology. Thry need to put the hand up and admit it was a disaster putting the jewish state there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

what last night also showed iran is that the US, UK, France, Jordan, possibly others quietly came to Israel's defense immediately - not in a little while - straight away, that might give them pause for thoughht as defense could become multi country attack on iran next time if they attack israel again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

Self defense. It works both ways doesn't it. If you go around blowing up diplomatic missions in other countries what do you expect, a bunch of flowers in return.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

we all know if iran fired 300 drones towards Washington D.C. or New York what would happen next

breakdown on the number of weapons used to target Israel:

"Out of about 170 drones launched by Iran – not a single one of them penetrated the State of Israel, as air force warplanes and our and our allies’ air defense systems intercepted dozens of them.

Of the more than 30 cruise missiles launched by Iran – none of the missiles penetrated Israeli territory. Our warplanes intercepted 25 missiles outside the country’s borders.

Out of more than 120 ballistic missiles, a very small number penetrated the Israeli border, while the rest of the missiles were intercepted. This small number fell at an air force base in Nafatim and caused minor damage to infrastructure." (IDF Spokesperson)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Iran attacks Israel — the same force that orchestrated the October 7 attacks that led to the Gazan war, funds Hezbollah which attacks Israel from Lebanon — and Israel, by responding, is labelled the "biggest danger in the world".

No, Iran is a permanent threat to peace in the Middle East. It funds its tentacled Islamic extremist organizations throughout the region — from Lebanon to Yemen to Iraq and beyond.

Its government is a necrotic scourge to its own people as well as to the region at large.

iran issues threat to US bases if Israel responds

Response will be much larger if Israel retaliates, Iran armed forces chief says

Iran warned Israel of a larger attack on its territory if it retaliates against Tehran’s overnight drone and missile attack, adding that Washington has been warned not to back Israeli military action.

“Our response will be much larger than tonight’s military action if Israel retaliates against Iran,” armed forces chief of staff Maj Gen Mohammad Bagheri told Iranian state TV.

He said that Tehran warned Washington that any backing of Israeli retaliation would result in US bases being targeted.

The commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Hossein Salami, also warned Tehran would retaliate against any Israeli attack on its interests, officials or citizens.

As of Sunday morning, Israeli officials indicated no decision had been made about an Israeli response to the Iranian attack, as an official said any potential response would be discussed at the war cabinet meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But there is evidence that Israel were informed in advance of Oct 7th by Egypt and chose to ignore it..

• Advertisement

You and others have repeatedly implied Israel attacked the consulate almost for the fun of it, out of thin air — no reason whatsoever. Israel attacked the consulate as a direct consequence of Iran planning, funding, and orchestrating the October 7 events which led to the current state of war.

So to flip your question around: "what did Iran expect after attacking Israel through its proxy Hamas on October 7?".

Iran is the permanent provocation, and will remain so until its theocratic fascist "government" is permanently removed — for the betterment of the Iranian people as well as to the Middle East generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭jackboy

Israel will have to respond. There will be a lot of high level Iranians afraid to travel around by car in the next few days.

Netanyahu probably wanted the Iranian response because it gives him the opportunity to escalate.

I would be very surprised if Netanyahu doesn't respond as it would make him look weak. This would also embolden Iran to attack again in the future, if they believe Israel would never escalate.

The IDF said Iran's launch of ballistic missiles was escalatory. It really is touch or go how Israel will respond, perhaps they will focus all their efforts on routing out hamas terrorists in Rafah i.e. finish what they started or perhaps a low level covert/cyber attack on iran or an accidental fire at one of their rocket factories

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am loving all the comments that if you criticise one you must be in support of the other. This isn't an 80s action movie, there can be two bad guys, or even more correctly, it is possible for there to be no good guys. Condemning Iran does not mean you support Israel and vice versa.

This.

The problem is the perspective of, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Because Iran is the enemy of Israel, then for some, they must be framed as the "Good Guys" or victims in this conflict (at any cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭jackboy

Israel don't seem to do proportional responses. They seem to have a principle when they are hit to respond in a much harsher way as a punishment and also to degrade capabilities of the enemy. A key part of that seems to be eliminating high level experienced personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say Iran got a shock. With all the shrieking about apartheid genocidal evil Israel they likely didn't expect that level of opposition and expected a free pass to attack Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭drury..

I don't see the outrage over gaza giving Iran a free pass here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. I'd say thats not what Iran expected. People have been frothing at and demonising Israel for months but now this morning normal service has resumed and Israel isn't the biggest danger in the region.

Advertisement