Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭eire4

To add on to that Comrade Trump is proposing major tariffs which would likely send the US spiraling into recession. 60% on anything from China, 100% on foreign cars and 10% on all other imports as an example. If this wannabe dictator takes power again in the US the implications not just for Americans but for pretty much everyone who believes in and wants to live in free, open and democratic societies are very bad and potentially catastrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't believe there is a push in the US for isolationism, though. The people in the US who would like to see aid for Ukraine withdrawn would likely be full throated in their support for strikes against Iran or for US troops on the ground in Mexico to prevent further northward migration.

It's not so much about isolation as it is about shifting priorities and alliances.

NATO was founded as a way to protect liberal democracies and US assets from the encroachment of the USSR, but what's happening now is that you have this cohort in the US who are no longer interested in liberal democracy. Consequently, they're not interested in advancing or protecting that system of government around the globe. They would, in fact, like to see this system of government fail around the globe. The people who push for this want a more authoritarian world where they believe they will be in the 'in-group' who are looked after will everyone else suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Twitter has become really awful last few weeks. Pro Russian accounts seem to be convinced of imminent UAF surrender and collapse. US needs to get the finger out of the Western World turns there backs on them.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭eire4

Unfortunately I think your right there. The Republican party at this point is an authoritarian party not a legitimate democratic party anymore and wants to turn the US into an authoritarian state rather then the at least partial democracy it currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

russia are the best in the world at asymmetric warfafe, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Id say definite not presumption

Given what we know of Russian intentions and European investigations, the presumption has to be that some US legislators are on the Russian payroll. Nice analysis here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's the dramatic thing to say and it is a great distraction from why Europ. Especially Western Europe is near unable to defend itself and largely unwilling to change that.

It is also a distraction from the fact that Ukraine is deliberately short changed by the entire West so as to help bring the war to a conclusion/stalemate.

It's a horrendous mistake by Biden and most of Europe, sometimes de-escalation and an end to a conflict are the wrong thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Bottom line is that no matter what way you roll the dice, Putin has to be stopped, and the sooner the better. Because he has absolutely no intention of stopping himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

long copy, but in informative

Celeste Wallander is the Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs, and while briefing Congress this week, said that the US does not support Ukraine attacking Russian oil facilities because they are civilian targets. From 2017–2022, she was the CEO of the US-Russia Foundation, a non-profit with offices in Washington and Moscow that works closely with the private sector in Russia and has encouraged Western investment in the terrorist state. She is corrupted by Russian influence, and the idea that she could be placed in such a high position in the administration is cause for worry.

Jake Sullivan, whose resignation (firing) I have called for before, is corrupted by his close relationship with Samuel Charap, a member of the Valdai Club, the Moscow-funded “think tank” that advances Russian interests among intellectuals and scholars abroad through bribery (err… funding). Putin, Lavrov, and other Russian terrorist leaders regularly attend Valdai conferences. Charap was a Fulbright scholar at the Moscow State Institute for International Relations, a school with close ties to Russian intelligence, where students are recruited into the FSB (if they are Russian) or as pro-Russian influencers (if they are foreign). Charap continues to regularly visit the White House, even after publishing such articles as “The US should surrender to Russia now” and “Russia is too powerful to oppose.” I’m just kidding. He’s not so obvious. He did pen an article in Foreign Policy titled “The West’s Weapons Won’t Make Any Difference to Ukraine.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The UK was the guarantor of security for Belgium before WW1. UK and France together were the guarantors of Polish security before WW2. Two nations you did not want to piss off.

That did not stop Germany from chancing its arm both times. Sure, it lost, but that was little consolation to Belgium and Poland.

Determining your policies on the basis of what a rational government leader should do is not something to rely upon. We have had ample examples over the years of irrational actors. Factoring in capability is just as important as intention. And if we assume that Russian and NATO territories will be inviolable, then that applies regardless of if countries fight in Ukraine or not.

Regardless. So where do we draw the line? OK, let's say Russia after Ukraine leaves NATO alone. Instead it goes for Georgia. Kazakhstan. Pick a country not in NATO. Pick all neighboring countries not in NATO. Is it to our practical benefit, let alone moral standards, to let such a thing happen? Does anyone have a defensive alliance with Taiwan? I mean, why not let China do the same thing we let the Russians do in that case?

I see no outcome where our future economic or military security is better if Russia wins in Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I am not saying it's right that we in the west and the US just ignore what Russia and Putin are doing in Ukraine. I have posted many times on this thread in support of sending as much military assistance as possible, I have actually been critical that enough has not been done in this regard.

But I think talk of escalation into NATO countries or suggestion of WW3 is far fetched. I just don't see it happening.

However I agree with your assessment on Georgia and Kazakhstan being at risk in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump going to end war in 24 hours if elected. I think people would not want him to, that it would not be a good look if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

With what is happening with Iran and Israel at the moment I wonder what will happen regarding Ukraine in the sense of will the attention of the world be cast more to the middle east will the US give more arms to Israel that might have eventually been given to Ukraine, will Iran hold off giving Russia any more arnaments/drones now since they might need them all themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Ukraine: Where's my Iron Dome? Where's my British and US fighter jets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I doubt Europe will be supplying Israel and the US hasn't really supplied Ukraine with much in the past 4/5 months.

It's not like Israel will be lobbing artillery shells at Iran. The only thing both Ukraine and Israel would need in common would be anti air. But the US/UK and no apparently Jordan shoot down missiles and drones heading to Israel, but Cruise missiles flying into Poland are left untouched. Crazy ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah it's madness. There well able to help Israel out by shooting stuff out of the air but not Ukraine. The world is getting more messed up by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Iran escalating with Israel is good and bad. More aid will go to Israel but Iran will sell less to Russia and Israel will probably respond by targeting drone facilities in Iran.

it’s all connected, russia and iran are in league with each other.

It is certainly complicated. Will putins Republican Party continue to sit on their hands ?

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

The big question though. If Iran Vs Israel escalates and the US get involved defending the Israelis will that signal to China to start the Taiwan invasion. They may never have a better opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

china doesnt have the capacity to invade whatsoever but if they were crazy enough they might fire missiles. if they do that its game over for trade with china and a blockade on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DoyleLoneganYouFollow

The US has delivered hundreds of billions of dollars for Ukraine.

Why would you think anything hinges on who sits in the Oval Office? No amount of money is going to make much of a difference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Funding, munitions and supplies are exactly what will make a difference, in addition to the fighting will of the Ukrainians themselves.

Wars can be won and lost on the back of supply chains. This has been the case of larger previous conflicts, and the Ukraine War is little different. Russia has been throwing at Ukraine; the entirety of a Soviet stockpile built up during the Cold War for a Europe-wide conflict against NATO. It’s decrepit, outclassed often by 90’s tech, but there is plenty of it. This is Russia’s supply chain, which amounts to raiding stockpiles from another era and supplementing it with 2nd World Tech. Ukraine however currently need to rely upon NATO to supply them.

If Congress can get past the neo-facists in the number to reopen funding to Ukraine, the Russian military can be defeated at a discount price compared to the global conflict that NATO was originally arming against. There needs to be steady flow of this for the AFU to advance. If not, they need to focus on defence, which they appear to be doing now.

The Russians very desperately need Trump & the GOP to win in November or the US will most certainly return to funding Ukraine. The Russians do not have the means to continue this war indefinitely, and a funded Ukraine will eventually finish off the Russian military adventure inside thier borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

US can’t as bill in congress has funding for Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine with vast majority to Ukraine

EU won’t send anything

So no Israel won’t get priority, and yes Iran attack makes it harder for republicans to drag feet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The US has given little to nothing to Ukraine, especially not hundreds of billions of dollars. If they've given even $1b, I'd be surprised. What they have given is billions of dollars to the US for obsolete and end of life equipment that was due for scrappage but was then handed to the Ukraine. They're not nearly as generous as they like to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A slightly strange post.

Could you explain why you think that the US was "on the wrong side of history" with regards to the Korean war? A war started by the invasion of the South by the North.

Or is it, as I suspect, that you come to history & politics with a "The USA is bad, therefore…" approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Prepare to be surprised:

The Joe Biden administration and the U.S. Congress have directed about $75 billion in assistance to Ukraine, which includes humanitarian, financial, and military support, according to the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, a German research institute. (This figure does not include all war-related U.S. spending, such as aid to allies.)

https://www.cfr.org/article/how-much-aid-has-us-sent-ukraine-here-are-six-charts

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement