Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Irish rugby doesn't have a good set of reporters on the sport. During the week they were doing their best to talk down Leinster's chances of winning. They brushed off Leinster's win at the Stade Marcel Deflandre as irrelevant as it wasn't a 'meaningful game'.

Clearly it was meaningful as it put Leinster on the path to a home QF and La Rochelle on an away one. It gave the squad confidence in their new defensive system and selection policies.

But pessimism and criticism of the team was the overriding narrative in the build up to the game. I hope we start to see a bit more positivity going forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Yep frustrating that the win over in LAR was played down in the lead up. That was a superb win in conditions that definitely didn’t suit the way Leinster play. The narrative this week was that Leinster had never beaten LAR in a game that matters(!) and that if Leinster lost it would destroy them. Hyperbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Also some framing that Leinster had "limped" into the QF which I found truly bizarre from RO'C. Then after the game he does everything he can to make excuses for La Rochelle, they were tired, they had to do lots of traveling (why was that exactly?) etc.

Post edited by Interested Observer on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not so sure it doesn't suit the way Leinster are trying to play this season. But yes, as always, Leinster have the home advantage cause they dominate the pool. That's not their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

100% it didn’t suit Leinster. If you look at all the tries from yesterday, they came from getting the ball out wide through handling/cross kicking as opposed to LAR who mauled one over and generally attack up the guts. There is an argument that it may have suited Leinster’s rush defence but LAR are no slouches in that regard either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

ROC never provides any actual analysis or insight. I'm not sure he has any understanding of the sport other than pointing out how big or fast a player/team is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Watched the game back and couple of key points:

Our ball presentation was almost perfect whole game. Furlong was emptied at one stage in their 22 by Skelton, but still twisted and presented on a plate for JGP.

Accuracy at ruck time was phenomenal especially from the backs. Osbourne, Frawley, Larmour sometimes protecting ball against their forwards preventing what would ordinarily be easy turnovers.

Several players scragged or chop tackled LAR players who were very close to making breaks.

Word on Tadhg Furlong's two early tackles on their freaks. Set the tone in the first quarter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's happened before; the SF vs Scarlets had fewer than the QF vs Saracens.

Tho I don't expect that to happen here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

EPCR will screw up the pricing. They do it every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

it’s about balance. The last two finals there was optimism on steroids and see what happened. Going in under the radar and exceeding expectations is probably a nicer place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Do you leave all of the following at home to prepare for Europe?

lh: Porter, Healy

h: Sheehan, Kelleher

th: Furlong, Ala'alatoa

sr: McCarthy, Jenkins, Molony

bs: Baird

no. 8: Doris, Conan

sh: JGP, McGrath

fh: Byrne, Byrne

lw: Lowe

ic: Osborne, Ngatai

oc: Henshaw, Ringrose

rw: Larmour

fb: Keenan, Frawley

Leaving the following for the SA trip:

1. Michael Milne, 2. Lee Barron, 3. Thomas Clarkson, 4. Brian Deeny, 5. Conor O'Tighearnaigh, 6. Rhys Ruddock, 7. Scott Penny, 8. Max Deegan, 9. Ben Murphy, 10. Sam Prendergast, 11. Robert Russell, 12. Ben Brownlee, 13. Liam Turner, 14. Jimmy O'Brien, 15. Henry McErlean; 16. John McKee, 17. Jack Boyle, 18. Rory McGuire, 19. Diarmuid Mangan, 20. Martin Moloney, 21. Fintan Gunne, 22. Charlie Tector, 23. Andrew Osborne

others travelling: Edward Byrne, Gus McCarthy, Temi Lasisi, Liam Molony, Cormac Foley, Hugh Cooney, Aitzol Arenzana-King

Milne could do with the scrum practice. He was unconvincing there against La Rochelle. Ngatai needs the gametime, you could argue, if he's to feature later in the season, but hard SA pitches against pacy attackers isn't a great reintroduction for a slow player with no match fitness.

They probably will leave anyone with a sniff of playing in a Euro knockout at home, which will be very disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

4th of May for the semi final so.

It's tough to know what to do. If you played some front-liners against the Lions in the first match would they still be feeling the effects of having played at altitude two weeks later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

How many points do we need to pick up in SA to have home advantage in URC in knockouts?

I would send Rungrose to SA btw if he is available .

Could they send over reinforcements for the second game (at sea level)? A few guys like Ala'alatoa, Ross Molony and Conan could give them a better chance against the Stormers.

Don't think there would be anything stopping them, I can't see how there's competition rules about this. The entire province could travel surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ringrose needs match time. No sense leaving him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My understanding is that travel is paid for X amount of people so it would be down to the club to pick up the extra cost. No rules stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would guess that Kelleher may travel and bench in the 1st match. Jenkins is a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Ngatai probably travels to Lions as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don’t think this is fair tbh

Gerry Thornley called it for Leinster and did none of the above.

The Indo is what it is.

I feel there's too much a) being resigned to your fate if your team is up against a formidable opponent, and b) assuming the team is going to win when you don't think the opposition are good enough

There was a lot of the the former before yesterday's match, and a lot of the latter before the 2022 European Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Game is at 5.30 which isn't great for anyone hoping to use public transport outside of Dublin city. I would have thought it would be better to have KO around 3pm to get extra attendance. Half filled croke park would be an atmosphere killer. I suppose TV dictate the time to max viewership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Barring extra time anyone at game can still get buses. Wont be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I wonder will the coaching ticket fly home after the first game like they did last year and leave Seanie running the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Fully agree on this. If I was asked to pick one non Leinster person that I’d be 100% certain wouldn’t have been complaining about the booing then ROG is who I’d name.

He set himself up for it all week as well as last year and knew he did and took it in good jest. If anything I think he enjoyed it!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ROG was absolutely class after the game, between his comments and his actions. He knows the craic.

He was TBF. I was wondering how he'd react, he had a meltdown after the Top14 final last season where he showed the opposite, about as classless as you could get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

He had a few of them, Stormers as well Dobson called out that once LaR lost he disappeared

Maybe because the game was over soon after half time he had plenty of time to think over it

I was listening to Leo, he really is a class act, before the game, after the game…the first people he talked about was the fans. How great it was in such a short turn around to sell out the stadium etc

First time I seen him react to tries like that as well….probably has before but never seen it

ROG loves that sort of stuff…..all add's a bit of spice to the game as well

Advertisement