Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This is the same Emery who's teams were hammered by City little over a week ago, and threw away a win against the mighty Brentford last week? He's a decent manager, but let's keep things in perspective.

Exactly. Being a good manager at a club the size of Aston Villa will hold no credibility with the expectations of United or Liverpool fans were he to manage them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Do we really still think United’s problems have anything to do with the expectations at the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yes, the same Emery that took Villa from around 5th bottom to 4th in 18 months. And to the brink of a European semi final.
    Trash him all you want, but he’s better than any manager Utd have appointed since Ferguson, bar maybe Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In fairness at the time Moyes looked every bit as good as Emery does now.

Doesn't matter really as United's problems have nothing got to do with the manager.

I genuinely struggle to think you actually watch football (other than looking at highlights or results) if you actually believe this.

In what sense ?

Moyes was very highly regarded when United appointed him.

Have a look at Emery’s career achievements, and Moyes’ career achievements. They’re a small bit different. One lad has won 4 European trophies, and taken multiple teams to the Champions League, and the other lad got 4th place once, but then didn’t actually get to play in the CL, because they made a balls of the qualifiers.

They’re basically the exact same if you really think hard about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

you really want City to win the league again, while I get you happy bout result

Arsenal would have been my choice to win it. Still hope they do, but not feeling especially sorry for them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This the same Emery that failed at Arsenal?

Guess he and Moyes do have something in common.

• Advertisement

Emery has won 4 Europa leagues which is below what top EPL teams expect.

Yes he is a better than Moyes but at the time United appointed Moyes he was seen as a future top manager. Also I don't think the top teams will look at Emery and think he is the answer. Soccer is full of great managers who were great because they could do a certain thing at a certain level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not thrashing him at all, he's a fine coach. However, there is a lot of recency basis here today based on the result. Emery has his limitations, not unlike Moyes, if maybe slightly better in the cup competitions. He will tend to be cautious, and will draw games he should win, and nowadays against the likes of City you can't do that, you can hardly drip any points over the course of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Moyes has beaten Arsenal twice this season.

I guess you were right, "They’re basically the exact same if you really think hard about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Moyes at one point offered the potential of something. Emery has actually accomplished impressive things across a number of clubs. They're not the same. Neither are at the tippity top level I think, but they're just not in the same category as each other, and I think never have been. Emery is an excellent coach, manager of the year for me. Great result today, but they've also probably put in the single most impressive performance against Man City this season too.

(I also quite like Moyes by the way, but Emery's career is just head and shoulders above Moyes', and there's no shame in that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

City will most likely win the treble again this season, which is a sobering thought and should focus the minds of anyone who thinks the 115 charges against them is a frivolous notion or some sort of witch hunt with no foundation in fact.

Every trophy they win regardless of how wonderful Guardiola is as a coach, has been won by thumbing their nose at the rules everyone else has been following, in City's owners minds, like a bunch of idiots.

These so called title races that break down at every April, are showing that the Premier League is just fur coat and no knickers.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Right……The same Moyes who won no trophies with Everton? Check out Emery’s record.

Post edited by doc_17 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Moyes did have a very good rep prior to going to united but people did also question his style. he was linked with the spurs job at the time too but they stepped away due to his style.

I think Emery is a far more proven manager in terms of style and success now than Moyes was at Everton, he probably was prior to going to Arsenal too.

As a United fan, I would be delighted if we appointed emery in the summer; not that i think there is any chance of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Paddy Power and other banterLADS christened Emery as being a joke from his time at Arsenal. He coud win a treble with Luton and he would still get no respect from the bantzboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Only for Liverpool winning it in 19/20 it would be six in a row for city. Grim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A double treble though.

Its been very clear to me they were the best team of the EPL era by the end of 21/22 but two trebles in a row just takes the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But they were saving football remember because they were stopping a certain other team winning the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Betfair have Arsenal at 9/2 and Liverpool at 15/2. Its all over bar the shouting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

As a United fan I'd change nothing about City's dominance and winning of league titles over Liverpool!

In reality nobody really cares about City winning countless titles. That planet-sized asterisk will never go away no matter how the 115 charges pan out.

Maximum respect for what Liverpool have achieved in that period with their lesser financial resources but can't say I'm disappointed they didn't win more than the one!

I understand that I'm probably being a bit short sighted but if United aren't in the mix City are probably the least bad option considering the alternative.

So in other words, there’s about 20-25.% chance City don’t win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm a United fan and I'd rather have seen Arsenal or (reluctantly) Liverpool win it. Asterisk, schmasterisk - they won't get punished, other clubs will use the same tricks, and the charges will be forgotten in a few years. In a few weeks Sheikh Mansour will be dancing around with the PL trophy and probably the Champions League too.

Obviously there's alway going to be some imbalance in football, look at Bayern winning 11 in a row, but what City are doing stinks and if United can't stop them, I'd be happier seeing some other proper football club trip them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Completely respect that view on it as well to be fair. I just don't like seeing United's genuine—no asterisk—rivals winning major trophies! While completely accepting they are not really United's genuine rivals at the moment either when you consider how bad United currently are…

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Recency bias based on yesterdays result!?

He has Villa in the Champions League for the first time since 1983!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

City will be stronger next year as I have little doubt they will sign Paqueta who would thrive there & several other players whilst selling maybe one starter such as Bernardo Silva & fringe players, there is no pressure on them to sell and the likes of KDB can stay for 2/3 more years coming off the bench whilst on 300-400k a week.

Maybe all the other teams should forget about the league and target the FA Cup to stop a treble treble:)

They are not in tge Champions League yet afaik, still some way to go in that race. I hope they do go on to reach it, but it's not certain yet.

Yes there is a lot of recency bias after the Arsenal result, and given the history with Emery and Arsenal I guess. Emery is a good coach, and had done a good job at Villa. They've spent heavily over the last few years, but probably spent well, and I've seen estimates of their wages at #6 in tge league, so overall they are there they ought to be, or slightly above it.

They do need to finish strong. Be good to see them in the top Euro competition again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was there not a post here recently that identified that Villa were walking a tightrope re: FFP though? With them likely having to sell to balance the books?

Apologies if that wasn't on here, but I definitely read it a couple of weeks back that they were up there for being the next club potentially in bother. Maybe thats changed or inaccurate in the first place & hands up if that is the case.

Always felt Emeri got a bit of a poisoned chalice at Arsenal, whomever came in to replace Wenger was always going to be under a significant spotlight, he had a decent start & IMO made the right decision the year they got to the Europa League final v Chelsea to go for silverware ahead of league position, though I know many disagreed with that decision. He struggled in the second season but was dealing with an awful mixed bag of a squad & suspect he got nothing like the freedom to change it up the way Arteta has.

Was disgusted with the way the media mocked his accent and attempted to belittle him when in reality he's a first class coach IMO.Delighted to see him doing well post Arsenal, I certainly as a gooner have no axe to grind there at all.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Champions League money would go a long way towards lessening the liabilities that sales might be required to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/04/15/everton-administration-fears-777-takeover-doubt/

Looks like Everton could be in serious trouble if this deal isn't sorted out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Class goal by Palmer. Imagine where Chelsea would be without him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And Palmer gets his second. Everton can't handle the Chelsea players running at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lol good man Pickford, pass it to a lad on a hatrick when you're 25 yards from your own goal

And there's his hattrick inside a half an hour - courtesy of a Pickford assist - absolutely comical by Pickford in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I will admit that I'm biased, but I would argue that this Everton team is worse/plays worse football than both Forest and Luton. They had a very good period earlier in the season but now they look really bad. Looks like it will go down to the wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Palmer is definitely winning Young Player of the Year but I reckon he's in with a good chance to win POTY too. Some season he's having

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

My understanding of it was not that they would have to sell a star player to balance the books, but more that they would have to sell a star player if they wanted to continue spending money on transfer fees that they currently are spending.

For which goal?? 🤔

The 3rd one,obviously, but could have done better for #2 (a bad parry) and even the first one, I only saw it once but looked like a very casual of accurate shot from Palmer.

Hard to believe this guy is still England's #1!

A fine finish by Jackson makes it 4. Everton getting spanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Everton should get another points deduction for this performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cant blame Everton for this performance, its the new stadiums fault

Well done Palmer, told the other 2 lads to jog on, he is the penalty taker and he took it - and scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

to go level on goals with haaland as well. pretty impressive. 9 pens though, that must be an anomaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not there yet but he is close. He could pass out these players yet this season.

9 penalties from 20 PL goals is 45% of all Palmer's goals being penalties.

Bruno Fernandes first 18 months saw him score 13 penalties (4+9) from his first 26 PL goals (50%) after arriving in January.

From memory, the highest number of penalties scored, relevant to the most number of goals overall would be Andy Johnson who scored 11 penalties to make up his 21 PL goals in 2004/2005. That's just over 52%.

Obviously you'll have some players who scored 7 or 8 in a season but that might be their total amount so it'd not really relevant to this. Is there anyone higher than Johnson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 33 table

Man City (91/44)

Arsenal (89/49)

Liverpool (89/41)

Villa (78/19)

Spurs (78/16)

Newcastle (68/17)

Man Utd (68/-1)

West Ham (63/-6)

Chelsea (68/9)

Brighton (62/2)