Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Anyone know what the story is with the new county board website? Cant work out how to see fixtures for particular teams…..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I tried searching by "club name" search box name shows up.

That part of the site used to be/ still is? The worst part of site. Used to have to click on boxes on and hope it was the correct one. Always reminded me of the gameshow "deal or no deal".

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I can't remember the last time a Meath fella even threaten to have a bit of a row.

It might have been the Aussie Rules things, where some Australian fella flattened Graham Geragthy. And I didn't know whether to cheer or boo. I was very conflicted.

• Advertisement

Yeah, each club has anything between 20 and 80 distinct teams though - its looking up by team that the difficult bit - who are the u14 Hurling B team playing this weekend? Before, you could look up the division they were in and it would set out all the fixtures for that division. Cant do that any more.

What would be the point - rows start between teams of reasonably equal standard. Was telling at the weekend Dean Rock saying he doesnt even know how many leinster championships he has, its meaningless for all involved now. Only way to make it relevant would be to remove Dublin from it - which I actually think should happen.

I think in five/ten years the league will have taken over the provincials in structure. They have already started the change (very slowly) tying in the league and championship. It was the smartest way to do it gradually. As the GAA at Congress hate real sudden change.

As for the number of Leinster's I can't remember what year it was but it was Fenton's first Leinster new to the panel etc. You could see he wanted to celebrate it a bit. But he would have looked like an eejit, because the rest had the vibe of "another one of those".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Fenton's first appeal failed, surprisingly/unsurprisingly, depending on your view of it. I guess that's probably the reason it was upheld, you can make a proper case either way, which means that they'll probably stick to the ref's report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

They have nothing to fear from Meath. Probably best in this case to suck it up, and take the suspension.

They will steamroll Meath anyway on Sunday without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I don't like this for the simple fact its not clear cut. I'd describe it as an aggressive shove, at worst, and the Derry man made a complete meal of it. Silly by such an experienced player who gave the ref a decision to make but he got an awful dig just before that with a closed fist that went unpunished.

The reason I really don't like it, is cos you see these shoves regularly and nothing happens. So they've set a precedent now and will be interesting to see how consistent they are.

Funny thing is, if Fenton goes down after getting the dig, it's a free at minimum and possibly more for the Derry man. Fenton probably too honest in this instance by staying up and playing the ball

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oh, I doubt that they took an appeal over Meath, I'd say that they don't want Fenton to build up a reputation of getting cards. I think, but might well be wrong, that if he's cited again, he may get a longer ban because of this red.

Yeah, I'd say they were raging that this came before them, there's no real right answer to it, and in the end, they're always going to side with the ref on these.

Agree on your other points.

Feck sake. That is unbelievable. Fenton must be livid. It was not a sending off unless you go by the "letter of the law" IMO.

I remember his fellow club man Whelan played on the edge at times. And the only time he got the better of D O'Se was when he threw him a belt in the head "accidentally on purpose" not spotted by the ref. That type of thing should be red.

But Fenton is a very clean sort of player most of the time. Surely they have to take into account that the Derry fella wound him up? And it more of a push than a "strike"?

Maybe the disciplinary crowd just want to make it look like they are doing something?

Next appeal will succeed surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So Cluxton back in the squad. That will make training interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I thought a bigger story would be the country's best water carrier being back in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Very quite ahead of a champo match v Meath a reflection on recent history I suppose .I do want to see a much better defensive performance today and without Fento to see how we do around the middle. I do expect a win alright and do think a few of the named subs need a bit of game time plus don't give Meath any ideas so keep them down as it won't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Good article by Roy Curtis in the SW today, lamenting the once great rivalry between the two.

Meath seemed to have gone back to basics, a rebuild in mindset for a start (with O'Rourke). It will be interesting to see where Dublin and Meath are in about 10 years. No Dublin manager will want to be the fella to lose to them.

According to Alan Brogan the 2010 defeat was the switch for Dublin

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-meath-humiliation-in-2010-was-the-turning-point-for-dublin/34828103.html

He thought he should have been dropped by Gilroy, after it.

Brogan also said -

"From then until 2011, our half-backs never really attacked. Our full-backs stayed put.

Six at the back. Always."

As a supporter It was horrible is my memory of it. Conceding five goals, mad. The way Meath "won" Leinster v Louth after it wound me up even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I've decided I'm giving the Leinster championship a miss this year and probably for the long term.

I'm a bit torn but just cannot justify spending the money on what I feel is a non-event.

The championship, particularly at provincial level needs an overhaul.

What's the answer? I just don't know.

Remember the days when tickets were difficult to come by for this fixture and v Kildare.

It's broken at the moment and the powers that be just don't seem to care.

I certainly don't miss the defeats and especially the four game saga finish .

• Advertisement

Dublin sloppy in the early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Cluxton has been very poor so far today.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Someone Dublin's play has been terrible. That shot from Basquel is indicative of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

A friend of mine was in Raheny GAA club the night of that Leinster final. There was about 25 in the place. Was like a morgue. Fenton came in with his Da and sat in the corner and had a pint.

I remember feeling a bit sorry for him at the time. I used to be in the club house a bit in the 2000s after Dublin games. Dublin would be after playing the likes of Laois or Wexford in the first round of the Leinster. The place would be packed and rocking. Whelo and Henry would arrive in late in the night like conquering heroes and the roof would lift off the place. Great times.

• Multiple multiple medals and awards later I no longer feel any bit sorry for him. Nice fella and great role model for club and county.

A fairly comprehensive win so difficult to read much if anything into it .Stevo was very rusty with his kicks but would expect better next time .A really poor crowd at the match from an entertainment point of view the missing fans made the right decision. The next two matches are unlikely to get the pulses racing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The glory days. They'll never return. The GAA got what they deserved in Leinster. Couldn't understand gates were packed because Dublin weren't dominating.

It's not Dublin's fault Meath don't have the players over the last few years .

Same with Kildare Glen Ryan reacting as if he won an All Ireland by beating Wicklow!

As for today’s match. I thought Meath left at least 8-10 points behind them. If they had a bit more confidence/nous they could have caught Dublin cold. Given the conditions etc.

Interestingly I heard on radio that O’Rourke could have had the game played in Navan. But he wanted Croke Park. Can see the logic he wanted to give the Meath fellas experience.

On Cluxton coming back it must have been one of his worst games for a long time. Poor on kick outs, made a mess of that 45. Have to wonder how the other Dublin keepers on panel felt. I think it unfair to be dropped like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Definitely evan comerford and o Hanlon had solid leagues and deserve to be ahead of him

Advertisement