Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

The amount of work that man did on the house was unreal. I'd say its freezing though; even the effort in making good the bay window. Hope they feel its worth it, he's more or less missed 2 years of his kids - each to their own and that but not worth it imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭timmyntc

He did some amount of work for less than 150k (I think he said only 75% of that original budget spent?)

Priorities all over the shop though. Should have spent on the steels for bay window and done roof first thing, make structure good before you go sanding doors and doing some gardening!

The parts of the house that were done looked well though, not a white wall or floor to ceiling window pane in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Not worth it for sentiment I think, I'd say the rest of family were probably trying to do him a favour sending it for auction knowing the amount of work and money it would take to renovate and knowing he didn't have the funds. They probably assumed he wouldn't keep bidding when it was going too high, but he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

He took a year off work. Unless he has an extremely generous employer that's a year salary gone.

He's an engineer, I remember the starting rate for engineers straight from college (yes I'm aware there's different disciplines in engineering) and it was eye watering 20 yrs ago, so I imagine him with decades of experience is on a fairly decent wage.

I know you get the buzz from doing it yourself but when I look at a task I think "this is going to take me X amount of time, I earn X amount per hour, if I get someone in to do it the bill will be X amount" unless I'm saving a massive amount of money I'd probably leave it to the professionals and let them have the headache.

So when you take his loss of earnings into account I wonder how much he actually saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Engineers on eye watering money 20 years ago, ah no, not in this world.

So when you take his loss of earnings into account I wonder how much he actually saved.

Might not be much loss of earnings considering mr taxman is likely taking half his salary anyway, and with him not working his wife can use the full tax allowance.

Tax in Ireland is draconian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Is he though? I don’t think he really had a clue but unfortunately convinced his wife he knew what he was doing. Then couldn’t tell her he had no idea. He’s an agricultural engineer whatever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

They seem to have their priorities wrong if you ask me… Then there he is out doing the garden and some stage, I mean wtf….

This episode really bugged the f out of me. Its like RTE missed a crucial part of the edit as it suddenly went from a house ready to cave in to 6 rooms including a ridiculous Chapel, why not convert that…??? No heating put in either which I thought was a BIG oversight. Did I miss a part. I mean hat off to the guy , I wish I had his energy but did they bring in the army to finish some of the rooms ??

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Couldn't believe the gardening bit…Fair play to him but he looked at the end of the program as if he'd been off on holiday for a few weeks, well rested….I wonder though did he address half the problems, the place was rotten to the core……Mad Ted…!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

just because he is an engineer doesn’t mean he can rebuild a house , he is really only continuing patching up the problems.. when you take loss of earnings into account the cost will be a lot more than 150,000 .. I am sure he had to return to work At some point so looking at a few hours here and there and weekends .. I just can’t see him being able to get it anyway right when doing it himself..

Why get one room done professionally at a time .. save .. get one room finished and carry on that way at least house will be livable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think he mentioned at the start he fixes machines - a mechanical engineer so really knows very little about buildings. His approach was very DIY, no programme of works, no plan. His approach was all over the place - a guy that likes DIY but took on too much. Not putting under floor heating in was a huge mistake. I laughed at the end when he said the house didnt need underfloor heating or double glazed windows. He could very well end up living there all by himself because wife and kids wont move into the ice box that they cant afford to heat. I get the emotional attachment but they cant afford that house sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thereiver

I don't think he,d be allowed to put in standard pvc windows he can work weekends and holidays he has plenty of energy it'll maybe take him 4 years to finish the rooms he ,LL have to put in heating radiotors if he intends to rent out rooms for b and b customers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I believe he said that quotes for restoring(?) windows for the house were close to 70k

That alone would have certainly been more than his years income after tax

Hiring people to fit the steel, or replace rotten timber floors would have easily eclipsed his post-tax earnings for the year.

The fact that hes married means the wife can use his tax credits during his year out of work also. Definitely works out better financially to do it yourself on a project like this, the loss of earnings are completely mitigated by the savings.

The big issue is that the budget simply wasn't big enough regardless of the amount of DIY to get the house fixed up in a timely fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'd largely agree with you but you need to factor in tax/PRSI. I might have to earn an extra 50k to end up in the same position as saving 25k in work. For the lower skilled stuff, you are also more likely to do the job right as well.

Well it's more when it's mentioned that he only spent X amount of the budget.....well no he's also down his salary.

Also paying ( one would assume) 2 mortgages.

I'm not even sure what he finished and what was staged.

I do think he was trying to be Dick Strawbridge, but even Dick has his "builder mate Steve" .

I do think fair play to him but I feel for the wife as she looked thoroughly fed up. You could see their breath when talking so the house must be Baltic.

You'd have to wonder about these people using friends and family 'calling in favours'; these 'favours' must have a cost to the friends and family. Like for the couple in Churchtown CO. Cork; fair enough if her mother was happy to spend her weekends wallpapering. They got a digger as a loan 'for free' but whomever lent it to them might have bore the cost.

In the Mayfield, Wexford one was the local Firefighter who was his friend happy to give up his spare time to be lifting heavy beams. Like the homeowner had just spent nearly half a million € on a wreck of a house and was calling in favours.

I sound 'scabby' here, but I remember my Father (who worked as a Telecoms Engineer) being constantly asked to do bits of jobs for family and friends such as wire in an extra phone, especially by my Mothers family (all of whom were farmers); he got sick of it and had to tell them in the end that when visiting on a Sunday afternoon he was on his weekend off and wasn't prepared to give that time up so they could get a job done for nothing. He did help re-wire my first house but would have considered that 'different' given I am his daughter etc.

Maybe its just me but I'd wonder about all the 'free' help these people get.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Kinda subjective though and case specific if you don't mind me saying.
    Some people will do it and others won't.
    You don't know what this man has done for others in his time either.

There are people I'd move heaven and earth for and others not so much.

totally don't mind you saying, and agree that its nice to be nice and help out etc. Not everything comes down to money. I too would be the first to offer a hand to a neighbour or friend.

However, still making the point that 'favours' may have a direct or indirect cost for others

I agree with you! The first house seemed very much project manged by the dad (who seemed to know a man for every job)

Generally speaking alot of trades guys know other trades guys and they kinda operate on a barter system, he was a chippy so I'd say he'll probably owe the plumber or sparks a favour when they are doing their houses etc.

But like that my dad was a trades man and some people have a brass neck on the amount of free favours they look for, then run to the hills if you ask them for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The guys who don't return favours are like those who dodge buying their round.

They get found out.

I would often call in favours as I am absolutely brutal at DIY but I will always return the favour with something I can do .. not sure if it’s just a country thing.. I often remember my dad doing gardening for people with no payment but he would always receive a loaf of turf or manure in return. I even remember getting grinds from a local teacher in return for odd jobs my dad did..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

God almighty, I've only watched the first part of this, and the stress it's causing me!!! 😱

How did the school go for sale with all that red tape not already sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have seen some great renovations of these old school houses. But I have seen some really terrible ones too......

AsA a building, they're not amazing, apart from the high ceilings. Usually a nice bit of land around them though

They were on holidays and saw it, I presumed it was up for sale in the general market.....might need to re-watch that bit as I just thought it was a fluffer piece until delay after delay hit them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The guy reminds me of Andrew Maxwell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is there sufficient space around that stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Where is the fridge? The cupboards? Where is their stuff???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Did you not see the semi nude portrait of yer man?!

• Advertisement

another half finished effort, again that house looks freezing. That house isn’t liveable and just dressed for final program.
    This season is turning into a disaster apart from first program. One finished house out of 4

Advertisement