Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah they've dropped in one of those "substations in a box" at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The M/N7 must be the best served HPC corridor in the country now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Lot's of ESBN vans and GMC at Carrickmines today. Can't be too long before it goes live

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, I remember pulling up there and 45 mins later leaving with an extra 15kWh in my tank, trying to get back to Limerick in that Leaf40 was tough going, lucky at the time that the fast chargers at nearby Lidl sorted me out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Used the Blanch Hub today with freshmile card. Initially the charger said "Invalid Card" then "Authorizing" and after some seconds it started charging. It ramped bit slowly to 150kW and I left after 17mins and 31.52 kWh. It costed me 15 on the dot which yields a price of 47.6c/kWh. The charger was a bit jumpy going down to 120kW then back up to 130kW then again, which I won't normally see with other chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

Its my go to in when I'm northside Dublin and need a charge now. Never had any issues with traffic either getting in or out, other dealing with the usual M3 peak hours. We just need more of these hubs around Dublin, especially for Taxis and out of towners needing to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I use Freshmile all the time at the ESB fast chargers. If you have at least €50 in your Freshmile account before tapping, you won't get the "invalid card" issue.

When I can average 145kW at the 150kW units, it typically works out at €0.45/kWh. If I can get 180kW+ at the 200kW units, then it's typically €0.42/kWh. I only ever charge enough to get me home, so I'm charging at low soc, normally from 10% up to 60% to make sure I'm getting good charging speeds from the battery and the lower cost per kWh.

Other than Tesla off peak rates, Freshmile can give some of the best value for DC fast charging at the ESB hubs. I really like it.

I haven't noticed the "surging" behaviour in charging speeds - what are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

A model Y. It's pretty consistent with the charging speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I had problems with the 150kW charger at Park Rí, Kells again today. 23% SoC and had been driving for over an hour when I arrived. The car charged at 24kW the entire time, something I didn’t realise until I came back. I rang eCars who understandably blamed my car. They suggested plugging out and starting again but that didn’t help.

I gave up and went to another 150kW about 20 minutes away. Plugged in there and immediately got 116kW which is about the most my car is capable of. It was lower SoC (16%) and a presumably a warmer battery but I don’t think that accounts for the difference. I never have problems charging at any other eCars 150kW chargers but I have problems at Park Ri about 3/4 of the time that I go there. I asked Tesla to help before and they said they could see nothing wrong.

I’m a bit lost about this. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

According to the protocol the vehicle controls the charging speed and the charger ("EVSE") follows, so in that respect eCars would be correct to imply that the vehicle was initially at fault. The problem there being that if you're suffering from such a fault and you suspect that it's the charger at fault, then the only realistic option is to try another similar charger and see if the problem goes away.

In terms of the charging provider being able to detect this type of issue, it's often tricky as it's only if they receive reports of failures that they can then correlate the issues and find a cause. Sometimes you'll find that a particular vehicle-type that is at fault and just doesn't negotiate the charging signal with the EVSE - it's only then by having users of those vehicles realise the problem and report it directly can the charging provider then attempt to reproduce and escalate the problem to the EVSE manufacturer for a solution.

I asked Tesla to help before and they said they could see nothing wrong.

How do you mean, how does Tesla come into this if it's an eCars charger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

The car is a legacy NACS Tesla that uses an adapter to connect to the CCS plug. I suspect it’s a compatibility issue between the vehicle and charger like you said but the two chargers I used yesterday appear to be the same type. I think the second is a more recent install so it could be different hardware or even different firmware even if they look the same.

I asked Tesla for help when this happened the first time (about a year ago) because they can sometimes remotely pull useful information from the vehicles diagnostic logs.

In that case it's probably not the NACS adapter. The NACS adapter is supposed to be a pass-through device with no electronics, I'd test another adapter on that same faulty charger anyway, see if it changes.

After that check with Tesla to see if there is a specific vehicle charge-controller firmware update available - but other than that it's likely that you have a compatibility issue between a module on the EVSE and the vehicle. Even though the EVSE's all look the same, they may have differing modules and firmwares on some components and just the slightest difference in how the vehicle operates within the spec may cause issues and the EVSE won't negotiate the session charging speed correctly.

DC charging is controlled by a high-level protocol called PLC (power-line comms), documented below, and it's not easily troubleshootable without the required interface hardware.

https://openecu.com/case_study/interface-evse-with-combined-charging-system-ccs-using-openecu-m560-or-m580/

It was the same for me (model 3 LFP after 4 hours on the road and preconditioning). I posted in one of the online groups and people tried mansplaining to me about charging speeds, SOC, etc. I've had EVs since 2016 and I have autism with hyperfixations. I know more than is reasonable about these things. That charger is fooked up there but no one will listen. There are intermittent issues where some of the DC stack doesnt work.

Hot-take there on a request for help… does anybody who responds to any question then automatically get defined as "mansplaining"? 🤨

No. But if you post giving out about charging speed, explaining in your post that you preheated and had just come off a 4 hour motorway drive, and from a poster well known in the group for years of EV ownership, to be told I needed to preheat my battery or it was due to SOC, was ridiculous.

Constructive help, yes please. Incorrect information based on them simply not reading what I wrote, yes that's mansplaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This behaviour isn't limited to EVs. See it all the time in user groups or general forums. You get the equivalent of "have you tried cycling the power?" regardless of what you've said and often multiples of times from different idiots who can't read or comprehend.

I wouldn't call it mansplaining though. Just stupidity. There's a lot of it about.

Ok glad I'm right on that one. I thought mansplaining only applied when the man was explaining something to a woman who, of course took exception to the fact that said man knew more than her...

• Advertisement

That's probably the correct usage, I use it where anyone is giving stupid/irrelevant/unwanted/etc advice

Nah, it's just the usual numpty behaviour 😉

Ok glad I'm right on that one. I thought mansplaining only applied when the man was explaining something to a woman who, of course took exception to the fact that said man assumed he knew more than her because she was a woman.

FYP 😛

You needn't bother fixing my post. If I need a post fixed I'll do it myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Coming into this tread expecting to see a flurry of activity and news of ground being broken for the remainder of the eCars promised hyper hubs…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Love when posters are happy to let rip on terms like "mansplaining", think they're being a real stand-up comedian, and then have a big public huff when someone comes back at them with similar humour.

Anyway, I take it Carrickmines is still collecting dust? What is the holdup?

Carrickmines is probably held up by Anna in networks, same as usual.

I'm unsure if the first part of the post is aimed at me or not, but for the avoidance of doubt, I do love a good huff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I thought they were ready to go from previous reports!

And no, not you lol

Advertisement