Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Might have to wait eil is on her way but eik not today its duz coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sherology

Haha… ah well... No more passenger flights on the old cabins. They crews must be elated.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jwm121

What was DUZ getting done in Bordeaux? Will it have the new livery?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Annual Heavy maintenance.

Feb/Mar/Apr each year you see the A330 fleet getting cycled through the process.

I think DUZ is the last to return. Obviously the cabin refit on EIK/EIL is an additional process.

EIK currently planned back next week. But that has already been pushed back a few times.

Don't get too excited. My mates in EI tell me there isa rumour of more QR A330s in 2025.

Granted they first mentioned this to me approx 6 months ago.

I assumed 2024/25 would only see XLRs and A320neo's added to the fleet.

Post edited by Tenger on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sherology

I guess those -200s will need replacing at some point. Would be nice if EI could schedule a refurb before entry into service. Let's see how much they care this time around (covid no longer a go to for blame).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

Would the rumoured QR A330's be used to add capacity or to replace some of the older A330's in the fleet do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

-200's are getting on in years at this stage

Moving to all -300 would considerably simplify operations as you would have 2 seat layouts, with only 4 Y seats difference (the crew rest access stairs EIN/EIM/GAJ/GCF)

Operating cost difference between -200 and -300 is minimal as to be effectively zero but you get more in the hold and seats

Not quite.
    EI have approx 7 cabin configs amongst their current fleet.

Getting rid of DUO/DAA and GEY would get that down to 3.
    Im guessing that EIK/EIL will end up being similar to either EAV/ELA/EDY/DUZ or FNG/H.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Def_IRL

…………

Post edited by Def_IRL on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Qaanaaq

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Ok don’t send it back yet, the whinging would get even worse…!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

wasn’t there a reason stopping the current two QRA330s being based in MAN? I can’t remember what it was, someone else may enlighten us, but then that could mean the rumoured new QRs wouldn’t be able to be based there either?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Qaanaaq

OK, then maybe they could swap with 2 other 330s in Dublin and send those to Manchester instead

Hopefully not without retrofitting them first or else we will be back to square 1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

As it was a new operation customer retention was important, they didn't have as much of a brand built up in MAN.

Imagine being a seasoned VS traveller and wanting to give EI a go direct from Manchester and you get on IK or IL and get treated to that horrible interior. They're going straight back to VS..

compare that to Dublin where EI have built up a very loyal customer following - much less likely to affect customer retention as there are frequent flyers that just book EI first no matter what (not saying it didn't affect customer retention, but it was always less likely to happen in DUB compared to MAN which is what I imagine drove the decision)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

That makes business sense

But I had heard it was something to do with paperwork belong to the aircraft and agreement or lack of between the British CAA and their Qatari counterparts.

An EI mate sent me a screenshot last night of an internal memo/notice.

The EI engineering team had a little event to mark the 100th A Check for EI-CVB.

Delivered in Feb 2001. >60K hours and >40,000 cycles on that airframe.

Would love to know the mileage on her.

60K hours x 400 kph = 24 million km!

that’s exactly what I was referring to! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I actually did hear that too at some point, I believe it was relating to the documentation issued by the MRO organisation used by Qatar not being recognised/ up to the standards of the CAA.

But yeah, even if it was in compliance, would have been terrible business sense to send them there and would have doomed the startup from the beginning.

• Advertisement

A bit like back in 2006 (?) when Aer Lingus launched DUB-DXB.
    On the inaugural flight (with all the journalists on it) they used their 2nd oldest A333.

Their then newest A330 had seatback screens and wasn't used for such a media heavy event.

As a (then young and optimistic) employee at the time, I was appalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jwm121

Interesting that they started Dubai but I can't really find much information it? What was the whole thing behind starting that route, how long did it last for and why did it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Dermot Mannion was CEO and had worked at emirates. There was a lot of Irish travelling but without connections it couldn’t do well enough to keep it going. Think it lasted a year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

Pilot demands probably too high imo, I think its safe to say almost no one in the country has received pay increases in excess of 20% to bring earnings in line with inflation over the past couple of years. I think labour court may meet somewhere in the middle. Let's hope its sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sailing

The 20% or so stems from the fact that the payscale for pilots hasn’t changed since around 2010. 14 years ago! In fact it’s worse now for new joiners. So 20% is conservative to be honest.

It’s clear from internal and external correspondence that Aer Lingus Management aren’t really respecting the pay process that was agreed and seem eager to go the media with a “poor me” attitude all the time. I’m not so sure the Labour court will be endearing to their behaviour to date.

The reality is the pilots won’t accept anything close to what’s being offered. They voted by almost 100% against the current offer on the table. That’s not going to change irrespective of what threats they receive. The XLR aircraft is a management issue, not an employee one. They set the deadline, not the pilots.

There was a pay process in place in 2019 in which a pay offer would have been made to cover up to 2023. That was postponed at the end of the process prior to release due Covid. This current process covers up until 2026. So the 23% now actually covers seven years. It’s just over 3% a year which is not in any way excessive or greedy. In fact I would suspect that it’s less than the public service award over the same period. Running to the media giving a particular narrative or spin can be effective, which is exactly what Aer Lingus appear to be doing here with their headline figures, but omitting the facts behind the numbers.

I can see this being a disruptive summer if a much improved deal is not tabled. Aer Lingus are notorious for relying on good will from pilots to fulfill their summer schedule. That requires an enormous amount of flexibility, which historically they have given. If people stick to their contracts then Aer lingus may find themselves in a lack of crew situation very quickly. Interesting few weeks ahead.

Post edited by sailing on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Thanks for the insight, interesting stuff.

Would it sound a bit like the pilots are hoping to rake back pay and conditions that would have been pre-green field? Which would have been 2009/10. Essentially the deal done to make the company competitive in the modern market.
    Probably not somewhere management will be willing to go back to I’d have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It occurs to me that the passenger cap at DUB likely makes deployment of additional aircraft to EI unlikely in the near term anyway. Even a single round trip a day would be another 130,000 passengers over a year.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sailing

I think it was explained above. If back pay was sought all the way to 2010 as you suggest(Greenfield era), which its not, then the numbers would be unrealistic. As above, it works out at about 3% a year from the previous pay agreement.

• Advertisement

The RTE article linked about mentioned "12.25% increase in consolidated pay and 1.5% of unconsolidated pay"

My understanding was that the pilots wanted 27% and the company offered 8.5%, while talking about some annual leave system from 2019 that they counted as 1-2% extra. Am I well off the mark here?

in a related point 3 other Aer Lingus staff groups got approx 12% pay increases in 2023. (personally I thought the IALPA demand was over the top, even breaking it down into 3% a year)

Advertisement