Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great result for Chelsea with the FA cup semi-final next up. They drew with City in Manchester a while back and are now on an 8 game unbeaten run with five wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't get the asterisking goal totals for penalties. Its a skill in its own way.

There's more time to overthink, less for instinct. No momentum to follow through on, you need to generate that power yourself. All the attention is on the taker. A strong mentality is needed. You could be up against a keeper who's beens studying your technique and history.

Its definitely not as straightforward as some people make it out to be. Even the penalty takers with the best success rates have missed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Absolutely should be asterisk to penalties. The odds are stacked overwhelmingly in favour of the penalty taker who has a free shot on goal vs a goal from open play 11 vs 11 usually.

No denying Cole palmer is an absolutely fantastic penalties taker and it is a skill in itself but when half your goals are penalties and you are joint top scorer it’s definitely a difference from the players with same tally of goals but scoring them from open play themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Any keeper worth its salt saves the first goal and then it’s a different game potentially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That's as embarrassing as it gets. It's literally something you'd see in a primary school lunchtime kick about. Not a good look for Poch either does he have any control over these players?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Who was the captain on the field? Surely he should have stepped in & reminded the players there was a designated penalty taker?

If I was the manager thats the question I'd have been asking.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Modern footballers, eh!

To be fair, the way goal bonuses go at footy clubs there days, scoring that could have been worth 50k extra this week to one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's not the same as scoring from open play though, it's much easier. Watkins has scored 19 goals and all of them are from open play. Palmer is a class act though - it says a lot about City's ridiculous financial superiority that they could just shrug and let him go a (supposed) rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Gallagher is the captain. He did grab the ball and hand it to Palmer to be fair to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A player can be anonymous for 89 mins, or play horrendously bad, but his team wins a controversial penalty in the last minute. There is a skill to scoring penalties alright but if this lad scores the penalty, he gets lauded as the hero, the MOTM, shoots up the scoring charts and fans start calling for his name when the POTY conversation comes up. Whereas in reality, the player should have been subbed off.

When penalties are a forwards primary route to goals, and he is not contributing effectively in other areas of his games, then the point has to be made. When a forward is scoring 15-20 goals from play, and then supplementing these goals with 5 penalties then it is not needed as he is effectively contributing in the other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

I was surprised to see T.Silva with all his experience seemingly being in favour of Madueke taking the penalty before Gallagher got involved. I'd have expected him to have the cop on to take the ball for the designated penalty taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he has a wealth of attacking options, but defensively England look quite slow and I'm not sure a Rice/Bellingham midfield would provide enough cover against the likes of France or Spain. I'm not sure who else he can play in there though, Henderson is surely finished at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Move Palmer out, put Bellingham in the 10 and then maybe JWP beside Rice? Or maybe just play Stones as the DM beside Rice.

Palmer a great option off the bench then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s still a shot at goal where something like 77% of them are scored (and often not of the players own creation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

One of few players to actually show some leadership at Chelsea and the word is that they're looking to sell him this summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Looks great on paper but I'd have serious doubts about it in reality.

England wasted their last golden generation by trying to fit names onto a team sheet.

The midfield needs to be Rice, Mainoo and Bellingham.

If they don't balance the middle correctly it won't matter who's on the pitch

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mainoo has done very little without the ball to say that he would provide balance to a midfield that Bellingham, Gallagher or both would not provide in the same position while also contributing far more up the pitch.

Why would you pull Bellingham back deeper when he's been so good further up the pitch for Real this season?

Bellingham is the man they need to build around in the midfield. Rice and Mainoo seem to be the best pairing on form to do that.

Gallagher will be good backup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Except in this case, neither is true. Palmer had already scored a perfect hat-trick, the fastest in premier League history, and has 9 assists to his name. If Chelsea get a penalty, in the 89th minute vs Bournemouth, on the last day of the season, to get them into European football, I bet they'll be glad to have him there, and recognised as the designated penalty taker. He has a better chance of scoring then the two lads fighting over the ball like children. As said above, great leadership by Gallagher, who they should not be selling in the summer.

Dele said it best last night. Where were the Chelsea players queuing up when they had a last minute penalty to draw with City a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wasn't talking about Palmer specifically, or the Chelsea incident. More replying to the poster on the idea of "asterisking goal totals for penalties".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bellingham is wasted back deeper, he can do it well true, but comfortably his best is as a 10.

Mainoo/Gallagher should be partnering Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't think Mainoo is ready yet, though not sure what quality options they have in deeper midfield.

I've seen nothing in Manioo's game since he broke into the 1st team at UTD to suggest he wouldn't be ready.

He came on for England a few weeks ago and looked very comfortable. One of their better players actually and looked to give them better balance in their midfield straight away.

It's simple for me - they have no outstanding options in his position in the team. They can shoehorn a player into that role (Bellingham) or they can play a poorer player in that position because he has more experience (Gallagher). Or they can play the best option (Mainoo).

Palmer might score a lot of penalties but he's regularly one of the best on the field for Chelsea, even when he doesn't get a goal or assist he's regularly involved in goals.

He deserves all the plaudits he's getting. I think him Foden and Bellingham should be the England starters behind Kane. I'm a huge Saka fan but he's behind Palmer right now in my opinion.

He's part of a Manchester United midfield that doesn't seem to exist when they don't have possession so that would have to be a worry to any coach.

Hes been very good at United and his performance for England was outstanding. There is no worries about him. I predict he'll be the starter beside Rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's not shoehorning someone in who's played there the majority of his career. Bellingham has been doing great things as the main central attacking threat but the idea that he and another attack minded player (think Maddison would suit this too) couldn't play either side of Rice is a bit reductive.

These guys are miles above Mainoo who has been as likely to set up an opposition goal as one for his own team in recent weeks and struggles to keep up with the pace of the game at the moment. Great on the ball, yes, but a lot of developing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Not sure on Mainoo, he looks like he's got great quality on the ball but he's only started about 20 games in midfield and every team in the league have strolled through the United midfield untouched in that time so not sure how much protection he offers the back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Mainoo is in no way ready for a starting place in the England set up and from a purely selfish United supporter perspective, I hope he doesn't feature at all for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Agreed, the potential maybe there, but he is far to inexperienced, to date he has shown some promise in his 20 odd appearances in a very less than convincing UTD midfield. We had the same claims of greatness from some Liverpool fans last season with Bajectic when their midfield was a shambles. Both players could turn out to be exceptional and future world stars, but the bottom line, these guys are far too young.

Also from a UTD point of view, this tournament is most likely going to be another train wreck under Southgate and the last thing you want, is your young promising midfielder to be a target of the hate mob on the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ward-Prowse seems the obvious experienced head beside Rice.

You can't talk about a wide open midfield and then suggest Rice, Maddison and Bellingham.

It would be very England like to take a player who's been one of the best attacking midfielders in the world this season and ask him to play deeper alright.

Bellingham is now a 10. An attacking player. That's where he's played the vast majority of this season and that's where he's been at his best.

If England are serious about winning a tournament then they need to focus the team on their better players and not try to fit in names. Surely this is a lesson well learnt at this stage

• Advertisement

Than they should be pairing JWP or someone of that ilk with Rice. He's a good experienced player who's a very good midfield player and has a wand of a foot.

I'd definitely be playing Mainoo over Ward-Prowse anyway

The only setup I could really see making sense and not playing Mainoo is having Stones play more like his City position where he pushes into midfield and Rice moves slightly further to link.

Mimic the Stones Rodri setup with Stones and Rice but then again I'm not sure Southgate is the man to do this

Mainoo is clearly a gifted midfielder, but he's just so young, so I'd worry about him a bit structurally in a team where that position is very important to the defensive shape. Would have no worries for him on the ball, but out of possession, he's not exactly gotten to get much good experience working in a properly functioning midfield on the defensive side. It's a lot of pressure on the lad.

Ward-Prowse has the experience and discipline where you know what you're going to get out of possession, and is still a plenty good footballer. Stones is a great shout, though their defence might become a bit weaker without him if Southgate sticks with his other faves there like Maguire over more mobile lads like Tomori, Colwill etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Southgate hasn't seemed keen on JWP. But with Phillips playing himself out of the tournament Southgate will have to bite his tongue and bring someone else.

Here's a comparison matrix of the players mentioned above and how their stats compare together.

That's Arsenal's Rice above but if you ask Rice to do a job like his West Ham days and be more defensively minded it's more interesting.

So in this one I've put Rice in his West Ham defensive mold, Bellingham in his Dortmund all rounder 8 role and Maddison in his 10 role to attack but also as someone who likes to press hard and try win possession early.

I'd also think with Kane, Foden, Saka etc you aren't as reliant on Bellingham for goals so you don't "need" him to be in the box as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jude Bellingham.... England.... WTF lads!

Is there not a dedicated Ingerland thread somewhere for this kinda talk????

Surely going into a tournament you'd want to play players in roles they have mostly played this season and not something they haven't been doing for 12+ months

You want to capitalize on their form as you are really only looking at a 4/5 week period. International sides don't have 5-10 games to play themselves into form or a team shape.

They mostly need to keep it simple and get the best players into their best positions. Supplementing them with complimentary players.

It's a very different situation to club football due to the limited time

You don't want to be picking lads who've had a handful of good games either though. Mainoo is a good player and has a high ceiling but he's not ready for a starting spot in the Euros yet.

The midfield I listed above with Rice, Bellingham and Maddison is the best they can put out at the minute. Will Southgate pick it? I doubt it. He'll probably have Henderson or Phillips in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Dortmund winning at half time . . . that 5th CL spot could slip away this week.

West Ham will do Spurs a favour and beat a hungover Leverkusen 3-0 tomorrow.

England reached the last Euro final with Calvin Phillips starting in midfield. Mainoo is more than good enough ffs

Ah so Mainoo hype is certainly off the rails

Kalvin Phillips 3 years ago was a very decent player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Exactly, people are talking like Bellingham is some sort of slouch in front of goals himself, he has 30 combined goals and assists for a Madrid team who look to be about to win La Liga. Palmer is a fantastic option for England but from the bench. I'd say Ward Prowse should also be an option for that second midfield spot but Southgate seems to hate him for some unknown reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Open your other eye there, would ya? 90% of the football comments in Soccer on boards, are about the English leagues. If you have an issue with supporting an English club, but having to curl up into a ball because the English national side is referenced, well, hmmm. Naturally, I don't support England, but I feel they are just a Gareth Southgate away from winning the Euros this summer. If you feel this warrants a separate thread, launch one, but I can see how people would mention it in here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement